Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple steak ideas?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Tonight I cook a steak for the first time in a long time and I am requesting ideas for something tastier than say just steak, boiled potatoes, carrots, broccoli, onions and mushrooms with gravy or pepper sauce if I googled how to make it.

Please understand I do not want to be slaving in the kitchen for hours, and I would like to make it without many obscure ingredients so that I can buy and cook it regularly and easily.

I will be leaving to do my food shop about 2pm or so, but if you read this after and have a suggestion please reply as I can try your recommendation next time.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

This is want I love.

Put equal parts balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and steaks in a freezer bag. Add a some pepper and leave in fridge for as long as poss.

Then cook to way you like on grill, pan or BBQ

( getting hungry now )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thank you for your responses.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Put equal parts balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey and steaks in a freezer bag. Add a some pepper and leave in fridge for as long as poss.

Okay, I am going to combine both of your recommendations although I will just use single cream or full fat milk for the potatoes as I would like to be able to eat this regularly.

I have all the ingredients for the steak marinade but I will pick up some olive oil as I believe the extra virgin turns into carcinogens if cooked. I will only be able to leave it in the fridge for an hour or so this time, but next time I will give it a day or two.

Can I just put the marinated steak, maybe on a plate or tinfoiled tray, and prepared potatoes on an Uncle Bens bowl which resembles a casserole dish, all in the oven together, perhaps searing the steak on the pan first?

Also, the instructions for Potatoes Dauphinoise advises 30 minutes but does not say what temperature? I believe my oven to be fan assisted.

Finally, how would one best add some vegetables, perhaps some carrots and broccoli boiled or in the oven with the steak, and onions fried or in the oven also?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

180c in the fan assisted oven. You can speed up the process by parboiling the spuds.

Keep checking them near the end of cooking to make sure they don't burn.

Steam the carrots/brocolli as they'll be healthier.

Personally though I love fried onions, mushrooms and garlic with my steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Of course you can put the steak in a bowl.

I saw somewhere the idea of putting in a ziplock bag. It is handy, does not take that much space in the fridge and the steak is totally covered after you squeze the air out.

Any time it is in the marinade adds to the flavour.

• Advertisement

Of course you can put the steak in a bowl.

I saw somewhere the idea of putting in a ziplock bag. It is handy, does not take that much space in the fridge and the steak is totally covered after you squeze the air out.

Any time it is in the marinade adds to the flavour.

Good to know, although what I was asking was whether I can put it all in the oven in separate dishes etc, maybe searing the steak first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I cook dauphinoise a lot with mostly milk and a little cream and butter. Add the potatoes with seasoning, garlic and butter to a non stick pan in layers until the pan is full. Add milk until it's just under the top layer of potatoes and place on the heat. Simmer gently with a loose tinfoil cover. Check the spuds with a small knife and when they are cooked, remove the foil, increase the heat and reduce the liquid. Add grated gruyere and a swirl of cream and brown in a hot oven or under the grill. I find this cooks in half the time of an all oven dauphinoise.

A simple, quick side dish to steak and dauphinoise potatoes is creamed spinach. Cook washed spinach in a dry pan until it wilts. Allow to cool and squeeze out some of the water. Stir in a tablespoon or two of cream and add to an ovenproof dish with grated cheese on top. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until bubbling and golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

dusf wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses.

Okay, I am going to combine both of your recommendations although I will just use single cream or full fat milk for the potatoes as I would like to be able to eat this regularly.

I have all the ingredients for the steak marinade but I will pick up some olive oil as I believe the extra virgin turns into carcinogens if cooked. I will only be able to leave it in the fridge for an hour or so this time, but next time I will give it a day or two.

Can I just put the marinated steak, maybe on a plate or tinfoiled tray, and prepared potatoes on an Uncle Bens bowl which resembles a casserole dish, all in the oven together, perhaps searing the steak on the pan first?

Also, the instructions for Potatoes Dauphinoise advises 30 minutes but does not say what temperature? I believe my oven to be fan assisted.

Finally, how would one best add some vegetables, perhaps some carrots and broccoli boiled or in the oven with the steak, and onions fried or in the oven also?

What??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I absolutely love steak with a mild patatas bravas, sounds weird but I think it's delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I made steak the other night and I just had some crispy shoe string onions with them!

SO easy!

Slice your onions into as thin a ring as you can.
    Put them in a bowl and toss them in some buttermilk, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
    Leave them to sit for an hour atleast.
    Then heat up a pan of oil, make sure you have about an inch of oil in it. Separate the onions and coat them in flour that has a touch of salt, pepper and paprika in it.
    Gently place them in your pan and remove with a slotted spoon when golden.

A few onions makes an absolute tonne of rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

That's mad Lornen, never heard of doing them like that, as in first buttermilk than flour, and they turn out well yeah?

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    That's mad Lornen, never heard of doing them like that, as in first buttermilk than flour, and they turn out well yeah?

Really?! They're mad over in the States, getting crispy onions on your burgers. :)

Yeah you soak them in spices and buttermilk for a few hours, I soak mine fr about 3, then you pick up your rings and toss them in the flour. I separate the rings that are big enough, but the little thin strands I clump together, then you toss them into hot oil and scoop them out, really crunchy and crispy. Absolute stunners :) I would recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Lornen wrote: »
    Really?! They're mad over in the States, getting crispy onions on your burgers. :)

Yeah you soak them in spices and buttermilk for a few hours, I soak mine fr about 3, then you pick up your rings and toss them in the flour. I separate the rings that are big enough, but the little thin strands I clump together, then you toss them into hot oil and scoop them out, really crunchy and crispy. Absolute stunners :) I would recommend!

Ah no, i love me crispy onions and onion rings, just doing it in that order, always have done them flour then buttermilk/egg mixture. Will give your way a lash next time!

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Ah no, i love me crispy onions and onion rings, just doing it in that order, always have done them flour then buttermilk/egg mixture. Will give your way a lash next time!

I never use an egg, I think it makes the whole mixture really heavy so I can't eat as many. :pac: They cook really fast and are super crunchy, let us know how they turn out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

longshanks wrote: »
    What??????
    You aren't suppose to cook with extra virgin oil.
    it's supposed to be for salad, sauces etc at cold or lower temps

But its not due to carcinogens.
    Extra virgin degrades at lower temp than other oils, so its not as suitible for frying as say regular olive oil, rapeseed or canola etc.
    Just use the cheap stuff and save the expensive extra virgin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Steak Diane is my speciality. Cook your steak in a good bit of oil with onions and garlic. Then add lemon juice and Worcestshire sauce and you're done - it's yum! I sometimes crumble up a beef oxo cube with it too.

I always make it with dauphinoise (always with cream :o) and garlic green beans (beans boiled until they're still a bit hard and then cooked in a bit of butter and garlic in the saucepan). It's my naughty but nice Saturday night in dinner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Greatfood

PS: i noticed that there is a post about not using extra virgin olive oil for cooking. It is true that you lose some of the health benefits when you heat extra virgin olive oil and that is why you should drizzle a little on the finished dish. But olive oil that is not extra virgin is chemically extracted from what is left over after the olives have been pressed to make extra virgin olive oil so it is not particularly healthy to start with. The cooking oil you use in a dish is another ingredient and you eat it, so why not use the best and add the most flavour? We have just published a book called 'Inside the Italian Kitchen' (€20/204 pages) that tells the story of how to cook authentic Italian food, how to choose olive oil and cured meats and coffee and what herbs to use and offers 40 recipes from one of the best Italian chefs in the country, Marco Roccasalvo in Campo de' Fiori restaurant in Bray, County Wicklow.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Greatfood wrote: »
    But olive oil that is not extra virgin is chemically extracted from what is left over after the olives have been pressed to make extra virgin olive oil so it is not particularly healthy to start with.

No it isn't. Not chemically extracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I made steak the other night and I just had some crispy shoe string onions with them!

SO easy!

Put them in a bowl and toss them in some buttermilk, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
    Then heat up a pan of oil, make sure you have about an inch of oil in it. Separate the onions and coat them in flour that has a touch of salt, pepper and paprika in it.

I gave this a go the other evening and it was sensational. Thank you so much. Incidentally, I didn't have buttermilk, so I used natural pouring yoghurt. Worked a treat.

longshanks wrote: »
    What??????

Basically the very good things in extra virgin olive oil turn to very bad carcinogens once it reaches a certain temperature, its smoke point. Regular olive oil has a higher smoke point but I am still hesitant to cook with that, especially as the Aldi bought bottle in the press has on the label 'made with 10% extra olive oil'.

This boards.ie thread discusses it:

If cooking with extra virgin olive oil degrades it, should I use something else?

SO easy!

Sounds and looks great, will try this tomorrow!
    Mellor wrote: »
    You aren't suppose to cook with extra virgin oil.
    it's supposed to be for salad, sauces etc at cold or lower temps

Extra virgin degrades at lower temp than other oils, so its not as suitible for frying as say regular olive oil, rapeseed or canola etc.
    Just use the cheap stuff and save the expensive extra virgin

What he said.
    Mellor wrote: »
    But its not due to carcinogens.

Can you cite your source? It degrades, into a carcinogenic which is well documented...
    watna wrote: »
    Steak Diane is my speciality. Cook your steak in a good bit of oil with onions and garlic. Then add lemon juice and Worcestshire sauce and you're done - it's yum! I sometimes crumble up a beef oxo cube with it too.

Lemon, interesting!
    It is true that you lose some of the health benefits when you heat extra virgin olive oil and that is why you should drizzle a little on the finished dish.

Yes, but with a caveat, you don't just lose health benefits, heating it beyond a certain point makes it harmful.
    But olive oil that is not extra virgin is chemically extracted from what is left over after the olives have been pressed to make extra virgin olive oil so it is not particularly healthy to start with.

False.

• Advertisement
Advertisement