Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to replace dead Griselinia with.

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

My Griselinia have all been killed off by the snow over Xmas/New year. There are over 20 of these bushes and they were around 6 years old, so quite well established.
    I want to replant a hedge to hide an ugly dividing fence and a bare front garden wall but don't see much point planting Griselinia again.
    I was hoping that maybe there would be something that is hardy in the winter, preferably evergreen and maybe even flower in the spring.
    Does such a hedge exist? It would need to be happy being kept at about 5 feet high.
    I'll check with local garden centres, but thought maybe someone here might have a few suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have the exact same problem, my poor griselinia has been decimated by the harsh winter and will need to be dug up and replaced. Some people I know from last year have tried cutting theirs right back to see if it will recover, but I don't see the point if we have another winter like the one just gone (quite likely in my opinion).

I am looking at putting in a beech/copper beech hedge, slower growing and deciduous but the leaves stay on over the winter. Native to this country so it will withstand the worst winter can throw at it. Might leave it until next year though as its getting a bit late to be planting bare root hedging.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Thanks for that. I had thought that something native would be best, hopefully it should be able to bear what our new style of harsh winters can throw at them. I didn't know that it was getting too late to plant bushes though, but you seem to suggest that it's only in relation to bare root. I'd hoped to get something sorted over the next few weeks and dig up the griselinia and replace them when I'd new bushes bought. They look terrible so the thought of leaving them there for too long is awful, on the other side of it though, they are hiding a really wonky DIY fence between us and our neighbours.
    Think I'll be hitting some garden centres soon.

Advertisement