Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure...

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all - going unreg for this...

Basically what I'm wondering is this - can your manager go through your desk drawers and open personal post? I had an application form in an envelope to be posted to an internal job and I was on leave for a few days and when I noticed that the envelope had been opened and left on my desk. When I enquired about it, my manager told me she was looking through my desk drawers to see if I had any paperwork that I might have forgot to file. She then asked me why I was applying for another job and when I told her I was interested in the area I was applying for, she got all annoyed with me and now a lot of my responsibilities have been taken away from me and her and her manager are being very cool and stand offish with me. This was one of the main reasons I didnt tell her I was applying for the job because I didnt want to be treated this way, I was also questioned on other stuff I had in my drawer which she knew was there and asked me to keep there which she of course denied. Have I any rights in this? I mean, can she actually go through my desk drawers without my knolwedge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

as you may well know what should be in your desk should be completely work related so then you have nothing to hide and nothing to fear. the desk is company property and subject to search without your permission however their reason for search is completely false. do they not think you are up to your job?

Having an application to an internal position should have no bearing on this however their attitude is what is at issue here. Your company should be an equal oppertunity employer and as such this attitude contradicts this and it is your choice to confront the issue with HR and a senior manager and make a complaint as you would feel that their attitude could cost you the potential job you are applying for.

also if you fail to get the job you have to return to this now hostile environment where a situation of constructive dismissal may arise??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Good question. An internal job application is completely work related; as would be your contract, pay slips etc. That doesn't mean that your boss should have the right to read them.

I had a quick search for "right to privacy" at work in Ireland, but they all seem to cover electronic surveillance - e.g. monitoring email & internet usage, CCTV, clocking in etc - I couldn't find anything on contents of desks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP here - thanks for the replies, I've escalated the problem to Higher Management and I am hoping to have the issues resolved by the end of next week.

Thanks for your helpful replies, much appreciated.

Advertisement