Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next generation broadband

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

my family are vodafone customers and due to their uttlery rubbish excuses since last july as to why our broadband speed has decreased by more than half, i am looking into switching back to eircom.

but i am also suspicious about eircom. vodafone say there is a blockage on my line therefore my speed has to be switched to zero. if i was an eircom customer would they automatically repair this for me? we switched from eircom to vodafone in july 2009.

also. next generation broadband is due here in limerick next month. our house was built in 1978, the site says we are eligiable but i would like to hear what others have to say on their experience, because as i have said i have reservations about services some companies provide in this country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

McSween wrote: »
    my family are vodafone customers and due to their uttlery rubbish excuses since last july as to why our broadband speed has decreased by more than half, i am looking into switching back to eircom.

but i am also suspicious about eircom. vodafone say there is a blockage on my line therefore my speed has to be switched to zero. if i was an eircom customer would they automatically repair this for me? we switched from eircom to vodafone in july 2009.

also. next generation broadband is due here in limerick next month. our house was built in 1978, the site says we are eligiable but i would like to hear what others have to say on their experience, because as i have said i have reservations about services some companies provide in this country.

Hi McSween,

Can you PM me with your address or current telephone number and I can look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

No UPC or Magnet where you are?
    I'm not an Eircom customer, i'm with Wimax :(
    But this 'next gen broadband' thing is a bit of nonsence. It uses the same old copper wire tech thats been around since the birth of the internet and should be called 'my dads gen broadband' so dont be too fooled by the hype. If you can get fibre optic it is far superior. If not, like me, you'll have to settle for one of the lesser alternatives. 8 meg even over copper wire is quite poor. In the UK companys such as Sky give upto 24meg using the same tech so can't understand why next gen would only be 8 :confused:
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

But this 'next gen broadband' thing is a bit of nonsence. It uses the same old copper wire tech thats been around since the birth of the internet and should be called 'my dads gen broadband' so dont be too fooled by the hype. If you can get fibre optic it is far superior. If not, like me, you'll have to settle for one of the lesser alternatives. 8 meg even over copper wire is quite poor. In the UK companys such as Sky give upto 24meg using the same tech so can't understand why next gen would only be 8 :confused:
    Good luck

Hi murphthesmurf
    yes I take your point, fibre optic is definitely one way forward and eircom are currently engaged in phone over fibre testing as part of our investment in future networks.
    Currently we do offer a 24Mb broadband service and although this service is not available on all lines a high number of our customers are in the position to avail of this.
    The next generation broadband is basically an upgrade to our existing broadband services and although better speeds cannot be gauranteed it does offer consistant speeds even at peak times.
    Regards:)
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

Good luck

upc dont offer internet here, i would be very wary of them also. their customer service is appalling.

like you say, i am being careful as i have learned that what is advertised isn't necessarily what i will get but my neighbour has a better net connection on eircom than i do.

by changing to ngb, i assume work of some king will need to be carried out in our estate. there are only 18 houses or so, so surely the job wouldn't be too drawn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Hi murphthesmurf
    yes I take your point, fibre optic is definitely one way forward and eircom are currently engaged in phone over fibre testing as part of our investment in future networks.
    Tony

Good to hear :D I miss my 50meg fibre that we had in UK :(

OP still check with Magnet though, as they gaurantee you a dedicated line and better connection (at least thats what they're site says). They do get good reviews.
    Broadband in Ireland is severely limited at the mo imo. Hopefully the new government will sort it out.
    One thing to note though, I believe Eircom block torrents, if you do any downloading with them. (may be wrong)

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »

Hi McSween,

I sent you a PM earlier if you have any follow up queries let me know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 31 psychosax

I had the same type of problem with vodafone last year, broadband would disconnect almost hourly. I contacted customer care(joke!) and was told that after resetting my router etc there was a problem with the line. as the line was looked after by Eircom that was their problem!!!!!

moved back to Eircom within a week after that and lo and behold my connection hasnt gone once, same line no repairs etc:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eircom gave a press release a year or two ago that said they were going to try a fibre to the home rollout in Wexford and Sandyford or Stillorgan, one of those two places. Whatever happened to this plan? I somehow suspect eircom are a little short on the cash for such a rollout:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

@Mark

Is there a list of the places NGB is available or will be available this year? thanks

@Mark

Is there a list of the places NGB is available or will be available this year? thanks

Hi drunkmonkey,

If you go to http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/ then click on the coverage map option in the colum in the right hand side of the page.

Then enter your town , (comma) space then county (into the search engine) and it will bring it the exchange you are under and there is a colour code system that donates the due dates for the exchange to be NGB enabled.

If the town/ exchange is in white there is no indication date as yet.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SaturnV

I'm a bit confused about this coverage map. My location in Wicklow Town is enabled and migrated according to the map, but when I put my phone and account number into the other search tool, it says NGB is not available. What is happening here?

SaturnV wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about this coverage map. My location in Wicklow Town is enabled and migrated according to the map, but when I put my phone and account number into the other search tool, it says NGB is not available. What is happening here?

Hi SaturnV

Thanks for your post.
    The telephone number and account number is the more accurate of the two as they locate exactly the exchange and position within the local exchange. The map should provide information based on local exchanges areas rather than the local geographical address, however we have noticed some error here and are working to correct this.
    If you do need any info on your line or would like me to confirm if likely to be up graded just PM me the line no.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I've just checked the coverage map there for my area Duleek co.Meath
    and it shows in april-june we should have NGB finally just stumbled acrossthis thread and tought i would i check to see if any updates about the area were on the coverage map and we are fianlly getting it !:D:D

Does this mean that the area will be ADSL 2 enabled as its currently just on ADSL 1 which has a max of 7mb which most lines here can get the full 7Mb but would be nice to have the 24Mb package available..??

my router stats are

down speed : 3072
    up speed :384
    SN margin:down=23.00db up=20.00db
    Line Attenuation (dB) down=10.50 up=5.50

from what i can tell my line is very very stable am only paying for the 3Mb UTV package at the moment would if 24Mb is going to be available from eircom i would switch to that...
    My line could take the full 24Mb or at least 20Mb would i be right considering how good my line stats seem to be??

We are very close to the exchange alot of houses are around here

EDIT:Just used an online checker for the max speed for my line if we had ADSL 2 and it seems we would get the full 24Mb happy days i know eircom might limit us to around 22Mb tough..still better than the max of 7Mb we can get at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

jay93 wrote: »
    I've just checked the coverage map there for my area Duleek co.Meath
    and it shows in april-june we should have NGB finally just stumbled acrossthis thread and tought i would i check to see if any updates about the area were on the coverage map and we are fianlly getting it !:D:D

Does this mean that the area will be ADSL 2 enabled as its currently just on ADSL 1 which has a max of 7mb which most lines here can get the full 7Mb but would be nice to have the 24Mb package available..??

my router stats are

down speed : 3072
    up speed :384
    SN margin:down=23.00db up=20.00db
    Line Attenuation (dB) down=10.50 up=5.50

from what i can tell my line is very very stable am only paying for the 3Mb UTV package at the moment would if 24Mb is going to be available from eircom i would switch to that...
    My line could take the full 24Mb or at least 20Mb would i be right considering how good my line stats seem to be??

We are very close to the exchange alot of houses are around here

EDIT:Just used an online checker for the max speed for my line if we had ADSL 2 and it seems we would get the full 24Mb happy days i know eircom might limit us to around 22Mb tough..still better than the max of 7Mb we can get at the mo

Hi jay93,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Boards.

Our online products' website will be able to advise you which eircom broadband package or bundle may be suitable for your home or business telephone line. These packages vary from basic to more advanced professionable Next Generation broadband (ADSL2 +*24Mb).

You can also take advantage of reduced cost /rates if you do this directly yourself online :

Eircom Online Products : http://www.eircom.net/pageA/?extlink=Products

If your local excange is enabled for NGB, our product's website will be able to advise you of the best NGB package. NGB provides uncongested broadband rates of up to your current attainable rates. For e.g : if your attainable rates are 6Mb, then your broadband would be setup as this would give you the best possible consistent speed. If your attainable rates are higher and you live quite close to your exchange then you should benefit from most of our broadband packages.

If you have any problems signing up for a package onliine, please call directly into eircom Broadband Sales : 1800 503303 (freefone).

Let me know if I can help further on this or any other matter.

Kind regards,

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SaturnV

Hi SaturnV

Thanks for your post.
    The telephone number and account number is the more accurate of the two as they locate exactly the exchange and position within the local exchange. The map should provide information based on local exchanges areas rather than the local geographical address, however we have noticed some error here and are working to correct this.
    If you do need any info on your line or would like me to confirm if likely to be up graded just PM me the line no.
    Tony

Thanks for the PM and the information. It seems there are no plans to upgrade my exchange this year at all, which is surprising given that according to the map everywhere within at least a mile of my house is already covered. I don't mind myself, I'm happy enough with the service I get from Eircom and was just curious about the apparent discrepancy. However, if I was a prospective customer I might be annoyed because I might think I was buying one service when in fact I would only ever be able to get another, lesser service, which actually cost the same.

I have no idea how connections to an exchange map to geography, and I'm sure it's not that straightforward. But the map as it stands does seem a bit misleading. If you have a line, you can check and get a definite answer, like I was able to (thanks again), but what about someone who doesn't already have a line? Could somebody in this case claim false advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

1226213421.png

I just switched to Eircom last week and I'm supposed to be on the 8MB NGB. I'm not downloading/streaming but why is it so slow ?? Can someone check if I'm on the right package :(

I was playing COD: Black Ops earlier on Xbox Live and was getting disconnected like every 10 minutes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

That looks scarily familiar.

I was getting terrible speeds for weeks and had to call customer service pretty much everyday. Your best bet is to try and locate either an old router or get one yourself. The router they sent out to me was banjaxed and I plugged an old router in and it worked fine.

Also, when it comes to the customer support, you are in for hours of talking to people who haven't a clue what you are on about.

While I understand that everyones experience with customer service will be somewhat different, I never spoke to an eircom representative that was worth the money I was spending on the call.

Thanks for the reply mate. Did Eircom finally fix the speed issue after one of your many calls or did the changing the router fix it ? How about the constand disconnects, were you getting that too with the old router ? I'm looking at adverts.ie right now for a new/used router so I'm hoping it'll change things for the better when I get my hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

An engineer came out at one stage and replaced the front cover of the wall socket but that did nothing. I couldn't believe that man at all, I had to explain to him what a smartphone was.

My boyfriend gave me his old eircom router and downloaded inSSIDer to track traffic on the line (or something or other) I also changed the channel which the router was working on. You shoujld give all that a shot before buying a router but it seemed to be the thing that sorted the whole issue.

I was duped by one of the Eircom sales reps that told me that the place was hooked up for NGB (I am quoting him here) and that we would be getting uncongested 8mb broadband.

Your screenshot is pretty much picture perfect of what I was getting. Right now the speed in just under 5mb. It's not the 8 that I was promised but it will do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

jamescd wrote: »
    1226213421.png

I just switched to Eircom last week and I'm supposed to be on the 8MB NGB. I'm not downloading/streaming but why is it so slow ?? Can someone check if I'm on the right package :(

I was playing COD: Black Ops earlier on Xbox Live and was getting disconnected like every 10 minutes :mad:

Hey James

I had something like this,i was on the 1mg broadband then i noticed on my bill that i was paying for anything up to 8mg so i just called the customer support and told them and it was literally the flick of a switch to change to the 8mg. They might not have just activated your 8mg like they hadnt with me until i got onto them about it.

In saying that,i was getting about 7mg and then suddenly i have noticed that my speed is now down to 4mg so im gonna have to get on to eircom about that cos i want what i am paying for (my line can take up to 20mg) so keep an eye on that aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

I am at present a vodafone @home broadband customer experiencing bb speed issues on my line.
    According to eircoms website I am connected to the Ashbourne exchange which is NGB enabled yet my current speed is little better than 3mb.

It was almost 7mb up until a few weeks ago when it suddenly dropped to 3mb overnight and has remained so ever since!!
    Vodafone are saying its nothing to do with them and that my line will only support upto 3mb.

I know this is not the case as I have already experienced 7mb download speeds and if I run the eircom line tester it indicates a line speed of 12mb.

So, to cut a long story short, I would like to know what speed can I expect if I return to eircom?

Regards, ;)

1226213421.png

Hi jamescd
    if you PM me your tel. no I wil be happy to chech this for you.
    Tony

An engineer came out at one stage and replaced the front cover of the wall socket but that did nothing. I couldn't believe that man at all, I had to explain to him what a smartphone was.

My boyfriend gave me his old eircom router and downloaded inSSIDer to track traffic on the line (or something or other) I also changed the channel which the router was working on. You shoujld give all that a shot before buying a router but it seemed to be the thing that sorted the whole issue.

I was duped by one of the Eircom sales reps that told me that the place was hooked up for NGB (I am quoting him here) and that we would be getting uncongested 8mb broadband.

Your screenshot is pretty much picture perfect of what I was getting. Right now the speed in just under 5mb. It's not the 8 that I was promised but it will do for now.

Hi Insulting_Bitch
    same as with jamescd, if you DM me your tel no I can have a look at your speed for you and see posibility of any improvement.
    All broadband customers connected to an NGB exchange are capable of getting NGB broadband without being charged any more than regular broadband, however not all lines ara capable of providing 8Mb. The NGB package is up to 8Mb uncongested. So may not be able to increase speed.
    PM me and I will have a look at your line though.
    Tony

Hey James

I had something like this,i was on the 1mg broadband then i noticed on my bill that i was paying for anything up to 8mg so i just called the customer support and told them and it was literally the flick of a switch to change to the 8mg. They might not have just activated your 8mg like they hadnt with me until i got onto them about it.

In saying that,i was getting about 7mg and then suddenly i have noticed that my speed is now down to 4mg so im gonna have to get on to eircom about that cos i want what i am paying for (my line can take up to 20mg) so keep an eye on that aswell.

Hi discobeaker
    If you would like to PM me your line no. I can check your line and speeds and determine if there is an issue there.
    Tony

Tony can you check mine too. I seem to be only getting 3MB max even though Im signed up for 8MB. I'll PM you my no., cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Hi Tony.

I was wondering if you can narrow down the date of when the Newtownmountkennedy exchange is being switched to ngb. According to the site it should be switched by the end of March, which is tomorrow.

Tony can you check mine too. I seem to be only getting 3MB max even though Im signed up for 8MB. I'll PM you my no., cheers

No prob jamescd, have PM'd you update.
    Tony

Hi Tony.

I was wondering if you can narrow down the date of when the Newtownmountkennedy exchange is being switched to ngb. According to the site it should be switched by the end of March, which is tomorrow.
    Hi sniper_samurai

if you are on this exchange could you PM me your tel. no. I can then confirm when your exchange will be upgraded. I can confirm that Newtownmountkennedy is due for this upgrade as you point out by end of this month.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Hi sniper_samurai

if you are on this exchange could you PM me your tel. no. I can then confirm when your exchange will be upgraded. I can confirm that Newtownmountkennedy is due for this upgrade as you point out by end of this month.
    Tony

I would be interested in the outcome of this question too. Greystones is due for upgrade this month also, but so far, we haven't been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

any chance eircom would improve the line quality on cabra road in phibsborough dublin 7?

i'm with magnet and even at 5mb/s im still getting dropped connections..... when i phone them up they keep saying the eircom line is crap.

Advertisement