Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Compaq Dual Core to Quad Core?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a compaq Presario cq5110f desktop.

0,1425,i=208966&sz=1,00.jpg

12545134755386.jpeg

Specs here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/data_sheet/np185aa.html

As you can see from the specs it a dual core. Now i really love the desktop and would love to keep it for years to come as I'm back in college for the next 3 years doing a networking degree. Rather than buying a new PC, I was wondering is it possible to upgrade this computer to a quadcore with more than 4 gig RAM? without spending an absolute mint of money.

I'm aware that I will more than likely need to get a new motherboard. I'm just here to find out how much(ball park figure) it will cost to upgrade this PC.

I was considering buying RAM for it soon but is there much pointfor when I go up to quad core will I need different type of RAM(ddr2/ddr3).

I've never built or upgraded a PC before. The most i've done is install Ram and surround sound cards. But I'm not a total noob or useless with computers and electronics.

This is a project in which I'm in no hurry with. I'm just doing this over the summer at my leisure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement