Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta Sports (subscription renewal ripoff)

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

As above folks i sent SS a letter 6months ago (which i have a copy of) asking them not to renew my subscription via Creditcard when it fell for renewal,this is the 2nd year in a row that i have done this and both times i asked them to send me confirmation of receiveing the same letter,and to let me know if there was anything else i had to do to unsubscribe (phone etc) which they didnt do.
    I have got my CC bill today and they have taken the renewal again,any ideas what i can do....is it possible to cancel CC transaction it was taken o the 4/3/11... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

elaverty wrote: »
    is it possible to cancel CC transaction it was taken o the 4/3/11... thanks

Yes.

Your letters were likely unregistered so you have no idea if they got them. Why didn't you follow up on this last year? Anyway, you can ring your bank and have they initiate a chargeback. Alternatively you can ring SS and explain the situation first, but I wouldn't personally be willing to stay on hold too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

We had the same problem last year, I tried to get the money back but was unsuccessful, tho I didnt follow it up as much as I should have, so this year I made a point of writing the letter to Setanta and also to the credit card co, I sent them both off at the same time reg post, we got a number of calls/letters from Setanta saying that our credit card provider had declined the charge, eh duh? When they called they said yes they had recieved the letter a week or so before renewal, so I don't understand why they even attempted to charge the card.. I would definately not let them away with this, definately contact your card supplier.

They are rip off merchants... don't let them away with it, if I hadn't sent the letter to the credit card they would have taken the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

Same problem more or less. Annual subscription increased and no invoice issued, just payment taken from credit card. I joined for Magners league last year that they don't have anymore. Sent letter to Scotland requesting a refund so I suppose there won't be a reply. I should send a registered letter requesting a reply to the first letter and if that doesn't work contact the credit card company.

I wonder if they operate from an address in Scotland to get around Irish law?

Advertisement