Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to begin?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Apologies if I'm not posting in correct forum - and please move if this is the case - thanks.

A friend and I are setting up a small business together. We need to have a relatively simple website for people to get details to. We'll be running classes and we'd like to allow people to pay for them online also so that needs to be on the website.

Questions:

1) I've seen several posts recommending Blacknight to register our .ie domain name and possibly use them for hosting our site. I'm thinking this would be better/safer option than going with one of the sites online that allow you to build your own 'free' website. Is this correct? Or what is the general view out there? Cost is a factor and we want to keep things simple right now and can possibly involve professionals when there is more uptake on our business/service, we hope; or

2) What is the general cost of getting a small professional website created such as the one we're looking for? Is there someplace we can go to find someone looking to do a bit of work on the side?

3) Since we're going to be looking for a service to receive payments, volume won't be too high - is paypal the way to go? Any other recommendations?

We are total newbies to this and have gotten good feedback from boards in the past - so we're hoping that someone might tell us where to begin. I know we could go to a web designer / firm, but again cost is the major factor for us right now.

Thanks for any help or advice!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I would take a look at wordpress. It would be good for you to post up about new classes and add your own content. You could also add an ecommerce plugin to allow you to accept transactions for booking classes. As for the .ie domain you can also link this to your wordpress blog but as far as im aware it requires to you install wordpress on your hosting account.

Details here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

Its flexible and allows you to customize it however you want. Plus its free

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

i'd recommend using Hostmoster.com

One of the best values around, their suport is great and you get a free .com when you sign up.

Why do you want a .ie? Are you just doing business in Ireland?

As for paypal, yes, they're fine and reliable, and the most widely used... their commission's are a bit high though.

Other options are, google checkout and money bookers, cheaper commission, not as popular, but you can offer it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

1) There's no question there. The increased flexibility and customisation options with having your own hosting can hugely outperform any of the 'free' offers. Having said that, it only helps if you actually use it to your benefit.

If cost is a major factor that you really need to keep low, you could also look at options like setting up a Facebook business page (which can incorporate custom pages and ecommerce solutions) which is also free (other than losing a little in transaction costs for purchases - e.g. PayPal fees).

2) How long is a piece of string?

I know it sounds like a flippant answer, but it genuinely is the case here.

Using wordpress and free themes, it could be done for free (steep learning curve and results will be dependent on your abilities).
    Using wordpress and paid themes, it could be done for very little with a (potentially) better result.
    Using standard template designs with little customisation, it can be done for a few hundred euro.
    Getting a professional design with very customised templates, a few hundred euro on top of that.
    Getting a fully personalised design, +€1,500, with the final price depending on the specific requirements you have.

There are lots of threads on boards about options for freelancing services, cheap design solutions and the potential false economy of same. I won't repeat the information, but it's a decision that you'll have to make for yourself when deciding what's best for the business.

3) PayPal is familiar to many and provides one solution. That said, some users might not be keen on it and depending on your users you might wish to provide further options to be as flexible as possible.

Trying to go down the realex route with merchant banking might not be ideal (due to the low-ish volume and monthly overheads), so perhaps looking at something like OWJO (transaction based billing which handles the merchant services for you) might be an idea (you'd have to consider the trade off between high transaction fees vs. the benefit of greater flexibility).

If you look at selling via Facebook, options like OWJO, VendorShop or Payvment might suit you depending on your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Thanks all - really appreciate your help, feedback and time! I'm still looking into the options and will check into some of the options you have all supplied - will get back to you on what we go with. Hope to have it up and running by mid-late April. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

If you are depending on your website to generate new business make sure that it can be found by your potential customers and search engines.

Basically you need to:
    • Know your market
    • Know the keyphrases that your customers will type into the search engines to find your business
    • Build and optimise your website around these keywords as well as your products and services
    • Build a collection of quality and relevant links TO your website as search engines do not really like lonely Billy No-Mates websites.
    The following will also help you get traffic to your website but take a bit more work.
    • Launch your website to the world – Website Promotion
    • Monitor your traffic and analyse what works and does not work on your website, make changes to what does not work
    • Maintain continuous improvment to your website and keep building those links
    Best of luck with your new venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

beach1 wrote: »
    Hi if you are still looking to get a website built I can make you one to your specs, I am starting my own biz maken basic websites but of high quality. If you are interested send me a PM, and we can take it fom there.

http://prestigekitchens.ie/ this is the first site i made
    ( i am aware the gallery is slow, but it was made to the clients specs, and I am currently in the process of updating it.)

Seriously, this is a spam bot right.

There is some good advice given above in this thread, if you are going to be accepting payment on your website I would suggest you look into getting an SSL cert also.

Adrian

Advertisement