Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Triax TR112 Saorview Box has landed 21/3/11

• 22-03-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

note: should read 22/3/11 - Don't even know what day it is:-)

Just a heads up for boardsies. The long awaited arrival of the Triax Saorview box has finally happened. They are now in the country. If they are not available already, I'm sure they will be online / on shelves in the next couple of days.

Just to be aware, there is a very limited number of them available. An advanced batch was flown in to Ireland ahead of the arrival of the shipping containers which are due in a couple of weeks.

To the best of our knowledge, there are only 300 in the initial batch (country wide) but as above there will be piles of them in the first major shipment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks for that. Any idea on price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any idea on price?

The RRP is around €110 inc VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Too expensive. About €10 more than the overly expensive Walker box.

It should be about €85 inc VAT., maximum. It's not a deluxe product.

I'd recommend people wait unless they are desperate. Similar spec UK "Freeview HD" boxes are about £45 inc VAT in the UK "High Street" (under €80). They have 20% VAT now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Thats way to expensive in my opinion - what benefits over the walker does this box even have - i used to think brand wise triax were great, but after the fiasco with the 537, im not so sure -

The walker unit seems to be getting a relatively ware reception - possible PVR USB function at some stage - and you can get it for 89euro in store (re badged Krystal units on the internet for 60incl shipping)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Triax are a Dish and Aerial maker. I'd buy their dishes.

Don't hold your breath for USB recording on current Walker though.

• Advertisement

Don't shoot the messenger. Only letting people know the news.

Of course prices will come down in time. But sure no one would ever buy anything if it worked like that:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks for the price post.
    I see there is no scart out so i will have to pass. I have a few older tvs that i need the boxes for with only scart.

Rear Panel
    RF IN (Antenna in)
    RF OUT (Antenna out)
    USB Port: For PVR & Media Player Functionality (also Software upgrades)
    RF Loopthrough Output Connector
    SPDIF (Digital Audio Output)
    HDMI Socket
    12V DC input

I see there is no scart out so i will have to pass. I have a few older tvs that i need the boxes for with only scart.

Rear Panel
    RF IN (Antenna in)
    RF OUT (Antenna out)
    USB Port: For PVR & Media Player Functionality (also Software upgrades)
    RF Loopthrough Output Connector
    SPDIF (Digital Audio Output)
    HDMI Socket
    12V DC input

There is a scart. Misprint on our part. Thanks for the heads up. Rectified the spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I see there is no scart out so i will have to pass. I have a few older tvs that i need the boxes for with only scart

It does have a scart according to the brochure on http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

There must be a SCART, but not listed. You can't get certification without HD and SD, both on HMDI and both on SCART (HD down scaled of course).

• Advertisement

Of course prices will come down in time. But sure no one would ever buy anything if it worked like that:-)

I appreciate what you are saying. But the price HAS come down. The more costly DVB-T2 certified boxes from £120 down to £45 in UK in a about the last year. €110 is more expensive than the €89, which is more expensive than slightly more costly DVB-T2 "Freeview HD" certified boxes at £45 (€75 max).

Triax isn't a premium brand. It's not a deluxe model, so while I welcome the certification, and the availability, the price can't be defended or pass without mention.

After all the cheaper Certified Walker boxes are regularly slated for being too expensive. Especially as the £45ish "Freeview HD" Bush, Digihome and others are actually the same basic chassis made by Vestel in Turkey (but requiring more expensive DVB-T2 /DVB-t dual mode tuner rather than DVB-T only for Ireland) and same DSP and extra software for "Freeview". Both Walker and "Freeview HD" boxes use the identical MHEG5 engine.

So is the Triax a Vestel from Turkey or a cheaper Chinese model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Genuinely wasnt having a go man! lol Thanks for the heads up -

IM genuinely shocked that no Irish retailers have started stocking

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Krystel-DVBT2-Freeview-HD-Receiver-No-monthly-bills-/260756367614?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3cb64a68fe

I mean its technically not certified, and yet it is as good as certified being the same box as the Walker - i know you may not get over the air updates etc etc . . . and if saorview roll out anything really interesting via this medium youll miss out etc

But if its available on ebay for 52 odd euro plus a tenner shipping - you would think a retailer would be able to sell them for around the 65 euro mark - and hey presto - you have a 99% Fully compatible saorview MHEG HD box for under 70 euro - and to hell with walker, triax etc

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

watty wrote: »
    Too expensive. About €10 more than the overly expensive Walker box.

It should be about €85 inc VAT., maximum. It's not a deluxe product.

I'd recommend people wait unless they are desperate. Similar spec UK "Freeview HD" boxes are about £45 inc VAT in the UK "High Street" (under €80). They have 20% VAT now.

If you don't need MHEG5 will these do everything else? just looking for a simple one to use for a relation who will prob just press 1,2,3,4 or the +- buttons.

I appreciate what you are saying. But the price HAS come down. The more costly DVB-T2 certified boxes from £120 down to £45 in UK in a about the last year. €110 is more expensive than the €89, which is more expensive than slightly more costly DVB-T2 "Freeview HD" certified boxes at £45 (€75 max).

Triax isn't a premium brand. It's not a deluxe model, so while I welcome the certification, and the availability, the price can't be defended or pass without mention.

After all the cheaper Certified Walker boxes are regularly slated for being too expensive. Especially as the £45ish "Freeview HD" Bush, Digihome and others are actually the same basic chassis made by Vestel in Turkey (but requiring more expensive DVB-T2 /DVB-t dual mode tuner rather than DVB-T only for Ireland) and same DSP and extra software for "Freeview". Both Walker and "Freeview HD" boxes use the identical MHEG5 engine.

So is the Triax a Vestel from Turkey or a cheaper Chinese model?

Price set by Mfg & Dist. :-( Nothing we can do about that. Aswell as that there are a potential 60million customer in UK, no so here so they probably want to get their return. What can you do, simple economics.

Anyway time will tell.

Don't know off-hand on origin.

If you don't need MHEG5 will these do everything else? just looking for a simple one to use for a relation who will prob just press 1,2,3,4 or the +- buttons.

ALL "Freeview HD" boxes do MHEG5.

That's my point. "Freeview HD" requires certification. It's similar enough to Saorview (identical MHEG5) but needs a more expensive tuner.

The issues are:
    No TV3 & TG4 Teletext till they switch to MHEG5 (existing Teletext may end in 2012 or 2013).
    Channels may be numbered in 800s on some boxes. Not a big deal. Some have option to make them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

(The MHEG5 text works fine on all the RTE channels today)

Price set by Mfg & Dist. :-(

Usual thing of make the UK Retail price be the Irish Wholesale price*. I know. it's the case on SO many things. A Spanish outfit insists on Supplying Ireland via UK distributor, so Euro/Sterling hedge added to price and an extra layer of middle men.

Maybe if we all pretend not to be able to speak English, there would not be UK "middlemen" on so many areas.

(* Of course there is the related "Far East made Product that the £ price is the US$ price with only the currency symbol changed", then we get hit twice in Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

That's my point. "Freeview HD" requires certification. It's similar enough to Saorview (identical MHEG5) but needs a more expensive tuner.

The issues are:
    No TV3 & TG4 Teletext till they switch to MHEG5 (existing Teletext may end in 2012 or 2013).
    Channels may be numbered in 800s on some boxes. Not a big deal. Some have option to make them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Sweet thanks for that ill get a UK one so he never uses Teletext anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

The issues are:

(The MHEG5 text works fine on all the RTE channels today)

Sorry for labouring the point but I'm having a hard time getting my head around all this. Are you saying Watty that the freeview hd box does everything else for saorview except TV3 and TG4 text

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sorry for labouring the point but I'm having a hard time getting my head around all this. Are you saying Watty that the freeview hd box does everything else for saorview except TV3 and TG4 text

The Freeview HD follows the UK D Book specification which does not support 'old teletext' if MHEG5 text is available. On our mux, RTE have MHEG5 teletext on RTE 1+2, and normal teletext just on RTE 1, but just MHEG5 on RTE 2. TV3 and TG4 have normal teletext. As a consequence, FreesatHD sets will ignore 'normal' teletext. A Saorview box will handle it correctly. There is also a problem with channel numbers for FreeviewHD.

Other than that, it should work well, but you never know.

The Freeview HD follows the UK D Book specification which does not support 'old teletext' if MHEG5 text is available. On our mux, RTE have MHEG5 teletext on RTE 1+2, and normal teletext just on RTE 1, but just MHEG5 on RTE 2. TV3 and TG4 have normal teletext. As a consequence, FreesatHD sets will ignore 'normal' teletext. A Saorview box will handle it correctly. There is also a problem with channel numbers for FreeviewHD.

Other than that, it should work well, but you never know.

Thanks for that, one more question are the freeview hd boxes available anywhere on line.

• Advertisement

Yes. They are.
    UK Retailers and Amazon.

Be sure it's a "Freeview HD" or "Freeview+ HD" and not any kind of "Freeview".

TV3 and TG4 may add the MHEG5 text later as RTE has said the orignal type teletext may not be transmitted after 2012. Though they may only be referring to RTE's traditional Teletext.

Yes. They are.
    UK Retailers and Amazon.

TV3 and TG4 may add the MHEG5 text later as RTE has said the orignal type teletext may not be transmitted after 2012. Though they may only be referring to RTE's traditional Teletext.

Cheers for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is what RTÉ has said
    No fixed date has been set by the broadcasters for switching off their traditional analogue EBU teletext services. It is likely that RTÉ and / or any other broadcaster that is transmitting a digital teletext service will discontinue transmitting their traditional analogue EBU teletext at Analogue Switch Off in October 2012 or soon afterwards.

liamtech wrote: »
    Genuinely wasnt having a go man! lol Thanks for the heads up -

IM genuinely shocked that no Irish retailers have started stocking

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Krystel-DVBT2-Freeview-HD-Receiver-No-monthly-bills-/260756367614?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3cb64a68fe

I mean its technically not certified, and yet it is as good as certified being the same box as the Walker - i know you may not get over the air updates etc etc . . . and if saorview roll out anything really interesting via this medium youll miss out etc

But if its available on ebay for 52 odd euro plus a tenner shipping - you would think a retailer would be able to sell them for around the 65 euro mark - and hey presto - you have a 99% Fully compatible saorview MHEG HD box for under 70 euro - and to hell with walker, triax etc

Would anybody know if the box in the above link has a scart connection. I've searched and can only see mention of hdmi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

isn't it illegal for the price to be set by the manufacturer. All they can do is suggest a rrp

ted1 wrote: »
    isn't it illegal for the price to be set by the manufacturer. All they can do is suggest a rrp

If the Distributor's price is high enough that limits the Retail price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'd love to stock this if I knew of a trade supplier

liamtech wrote: »

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

ted1 wrote: »

Very true. Its also illegal to display retail prices without VAT .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

As far as I can see the eBay seller *IS* the only Trade supplier.

I wonder is it "really" "Freeview HD" certified, or a copy of bush software on same chassis? It's not listed on the Freeview official site?

Advertisement