Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Triax TR112 Saorview Box has landed 21/3/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tony wrote: »
    Very true. Its also illegal to display retail prices without VAT .

National Consumer Agency
    Tax inclusive prices

The price you give consumers must be the total price, and "tax inclusive". There mustn't be any hidden extras on top of that again, such as VAT or other taxes.

One exception to the "tax inclusive" rule is businesses such as wholesalers that sell goods intended solely for other business customers. These trade-only type businesses are allowed to display prices that exclude the VAT element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I must start calling myself a trade only supplier :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

liamtech wrote: »
    Genuinely wasnt having a go man! lol Thanks for the heads up -

IM genuinely shocked that no Irish retailers have started stocking

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Krystel-DVBT2-Freeview-HD-Receiver-No-monthly-bills-/260756367614?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3cb64a68fe

I mean its technically not certified, and yet it is as good as certified being the same box as the Walker - i know you may not get over the air updates etc etc . . . and if saorview roll out anything really interesting via this medium youll miss out etc

But if its available on ebay for 52 odd euro plus a tenner shipping - you would think a retailer would be able to sell them for around the 65 euro mark - and hey presto - you have a 99% Fully compatible saorview MHEG HD box for under 70 euro - and to hell with walker, triax etc[/QUOTE

This is a page from the manual for the krystel freeview hd box can anybody tell from the specs if it is mheg 5 and can do the tex on saorview. I have the whole manual in a pdf link in my email but I dont know how to link it to here.

General Characteristics
    Supply Voltage for set-top box: 12 V DC
    Supply Voltage for DC Adaptor : 220 - 240 V AC ~ 50Hz
    Input Frequency 470Mhz-862Mhz
    Maximum Power consumption 15 W
    Typical Power consumption 8 W
    Standby Low Power Consumption <1 W
    USB (optional) Current Limit 500mA
    Operating temperature 5ºC to +40ºC
    Storage temperature -20ºC to +70ºC
    Humidity 25 to 75 % rel
    Physical dimensions 295 x 170 x 40 mm
    Weight 900 g
    Hardware Confi guration
    Main Processor MPEG Decoder NEC EMMA3SL/HD
    Flash Memory 8MB NOR BGA
    DDRRAM 2x128MB DDR2(HD Decoding for HD Mpeg4 Receiver)
    Digital Capabilities
    Transmission Standards: DVB-T, MPEG2 MPEG4
    DVB-T2, MPEG4
    Demodulation:
    • Combined DVB-T2, DVB-T demodulator that conforms to the ETSI EN 302-755
    (second generation Terrestrial) and ETSI EN 300-744 (Terrestrial) standards.
    • Symbol rate: COFDM with 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k FFT mode
    • Modulation: 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM FEC for all DVB modes (automatically found)
    VIDEO
    • H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) main and high profi le level 4.1/MPEG-2 MP@HL video decoder.
    • HD display multi format capable (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p)
    • Analogue SD output: RGB and CVBS
    AUDIO
    • MPEG-1 layer I/II, MPEG-2 layer II, MPEG-2 AAC, MPEG-4 AAC
    • Sampling frequencies supported are 32, 44.1 & 48 kHz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

This is a page from the manual for the krystel freeview hd box can anybody tell from the specs if it is mheg 5 and can do the tex on saorview. I have the whole manual in a pdf link in my email but I dont know how to link it to here.

General Characteristics
    Supply Voltage for set-top box: 12 V DC
    Supply Voltage for DC Adaptor : 220 - 240 V AC ~ 50Hz
    Input Frequency 470Mhz-862Mhz
    Maximum Power consumption 15 W
    Typical Power consumption 8 W
    Standby Low Power Consumption <1 W
    USB (optional) Current Limit 500mA
    Operating temperature 5ºC to +40ºC
    Storage temperature -20ºC to +70ºC
    Humidity 25 to 75 % rel
    Physical dimensions 295 x 170 x 40 mm
    Weight 900 g
    Hardware Confi guration
    Main Processor MPEG Decoder NEC EMMA3SL/HD
    Flash Memory 8MB NOR BGA
    DDRRAM 2x128MB DDR2(HD Decoding for HD Mpeg4 Receiver)
    Digital Capabilities
    Transmission Standards: DVB-T, MPEG2 MPEG4
    DVB-T2, MPEG4
    Demodulation:
    • Combined DVB-T2, DVB-T demodulator that conforms to the ETSI EN 302-755
    (second generation Terrestrial) and ETSI EN 300-744 (Terrestrial) standards.
    • Symbol rate: COFDM with 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k FFT mode
    • Modulation: 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM FEC for all DVB modes (automatically found)
    VIDEO
    • H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) main and high profi le level 4.1/MPEG-2 MP@HL video decoder.
    • HD display multi format capable (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p)
    • Analogue SD output: RGB and CVBS
    AUDIO
    • MPEG-1 layer I/II, MPEG-2 layer II, MPEG-2 AAC, MPEG-4 AAC
    • Sampling frequencies supported are 32, 44.1 & 48 kHz

Freeview HD has a set number of requirements - if these are not met, then a box cannot be certified/branded freeview HD - One such requirement is MHEG5 compatibility - As this box is a FREEVIEW HD Box, it has to have MHEG5 - Also the fact that it is essentially the same unit as the Walker means it is compatable - I reckon this box could prove very popular in ireland due to its cheap price

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They claim it's "Freeview HD".
    ALL Freeview HD do MHEG5.

So if it doesn't do MHEG5, their advert is a lie. It's certainly the same chassis as the Bush "Freeview HD"

Read the links
    watty wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

They claim it's "Freeview HD".
    ALL Freeview HD do MHEG5.

So if it doesn't do MHEG5, their advert is a lie. It's certainly the same chassis as the Bush "Freeview HD"

Read the links
    I received one yesterday and it does do saorview text.
    Also receives U.K HD services which is a nice bonus.
    Now if only Mount Leinster would vacate channel 45....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The text is very slow to load though, is it not? Fifteen seconds. I presume that the latest over the air software update for the Vestel boxes from Divis, Wales etc probably sorted that issue out? Anybody? I also presume that there is no information listed in the Saorview EPG? My Dad and I bought the Vestel manufactured and rebadged Metronic Freeview HD boxes and the guide has information from Divis for the UK but not for the Irish channels unfortunately. Maybe a software update sorted this? The box has a great picture though and a fairly strong, sensitive tuner. No usb port also which it lacks. :)

I think that it will still be on Channel 45 unfortunately as I read it here until after full DSO in Ireland at the end of 2012.

FREETV wrote: »
    The text is very slow to load though, is it not? Fifteen seconds.

The LG 42LD450 is very fast on MHEG5 text. It's nearly like Internet on decent Broadband. :) It may be caching a lot.

It should only take a maximum of five seconds for the text to load on the Vestel boxes. My Dad and I both own the old doomed Sagem Sky Picnic boxes and the text only takes five seconds to load when the text button is pressed. Is it a software caching problem Watty? :)

• Advertisement

no idea.

Thanks anyway Watty, I guess we shall wait and see what happens, the Metronics may be capable of being updated over the air like the Walker ones :).

You can update firmware via USB, serial whatever.

Freeview boxes only get OTA from Freeview transmitters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

has anyone bought one of these yet? they are available on www.tvtrade.ie

I would like to see as it compares to walker one.
    I would also like to see pictures of the menu and epg on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Teddy455 wrote: »
    has anyone bought one of these yet? they are available on www.tvtrade.ie

I would like to see as it compares to walker one.
    I would also like to see pictures of the menu and epg on it?

We wil have the videos on our youtube channel later on and you can check them out there if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tvtradedave

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Maybe if we all pretend not to be able to speak English, there would not be UK "middlemen" on so many areas.

Sin é, abair as Gaeilge! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 prf

can the triax be used to watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded.can it also do series recording?.great vids on utube.

can the triax be used to watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded.
    No. It's not a real PVR. Or at least not reliably once the 2nd Mux starts.
    can it also do series recording?
    Maybe. Saorview will use Nordig PVR series link methods. RTE NL don't transmit this information yet. I don't understand the Nordig spec well enough to see if you can get certification as Set-box and then "tack on" basic recording, rather the the box really compatible with Saorview/Nordig PVR specs.

It's not really sold as a PVR. So hard to say. We won't really know for sure until RTE start transmission of Series Link data.

This why I'm saying don't be "early adoptor" if possible, especially of PVR, as Saorsat + Freesat HD in one dual tuner Sat box may be viable.

The full service is not yet running. Full launch is end May. Saorsat sounding later.

prf wrote: »
    can the triax be used to watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded.can it also do series recording?.great vids on utube.

watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded - yes (at moment, see below for further info on this)

Series recording - didn't notice that feature on it, may be there, didn't see it, if not will probably be added with future OTA updates or firmware updates or on new revs of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Remember that these boxes are minimum spec capabilties. PVR implementation via USB PVR is a manufacturers add on and support.

It might be of benefit not to point out that recording facility at all. As its facility to record whilst watching something else will not continue to exist or will be compromised. It'll save the hassle of peeved customers.

When Mux 2 comes on, that facility will not work. Similar to watching the same transponder on satelllite whilst recording that prevails with single tuner satellite PVRs. Try explain the limitations in a single sentence to non techs!

Infact in the UK there is a clear distinction between single and double tuner models. They use a plus! And Likewise Triax have + models (TR 217) and normal viewing models (TR 115 Zapper) (which the Saorview model is based upon).

Series record scheduling would be applied in software via epg scheduling area. At present content reference ID data is not being broadcast so you will have no way of knowing whether it has been included in the software. I doubt it. Its normally 2 tuner models (like in Freeview HD+) with built in HDs that have that facility built in. The PVR via USB models are just as an add on that "kinda works" recording the transport streams one is watching on a single tuner.

• Advertisement

watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded - yes

Series recording - didn't notice that feature on it, may be there, didn't see it, if not will probably be added with future OTA updates or firmware updates or on new revs of the box.

It's only got one tuner.
    Soon there will be a 2nd multiplex (Mux). It can't record a channel on a different multiplex to the one you watching. So by September 2011 approx it will not reliably "watch a different channel to the one that is being recorded".

You can ONLY make that claim for real Dual Tuner PVRs. This has only one tuner.

(RTE NL have not even ruled out 3 after 2014.)

Not trying to intentionally make any misleading CLAIMS, forgot about 2nd Mux.

Have edited original post.

Will think about that good advice STB

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

So in essence the specification of combi required is really a quad tuner 2xDVB-S2 and 2x DVB-T to allow for watching 1 channel whilst recording on a different transponder/mux where applicable.

What is the likelihood of this specification hitting the market occuring or could you build such a device e.g. Qbox squared !!!

Easy to do with a Desktop PC.

This is why for PVR I suggest waiting to see what the RTE series link does and what the issues with Saorsat are.

If your TV is Irish Digital Terrestrial Compatible, then any Terrestrial PVR only needs one tuner (like a VHS) as you don't really use it to watch Live TV, only recordings.

Thanks Watty - can you link to a good on line resource to explain how to record while watching another channel using your desktop PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Thanks Watty - can you link to a good on line resource to explain how to record while watching another channel using your desktop PC.
    If you are running Win7 fire up Windows media Centre (not media player). It will talk you thru the whole setup and is simple to use afterwards. Of course you will need either a USB or inbuilt TV tuner fitted to your PC.

I think my question was badly constructed as I dont want to be able to watch ddt on PC.

I have a DTT through my Samsung TV with MHEG5 middleware for text/future services, I will use my SKY HD box as "freesat" source with that TV (software upgrade has not affected ability to get UK EPG on card removal - fingers crossed it stays the same) and then have a HD DTT/Satellite combi box for use in the other room where TV does not have DTT tuner - but the combi box should be versatile enough to allow watching / recording on more than 1 mux or 1 transponder at a time - all tied back to a hard drive as a PVR which could could be accessed in either room. MHEG5 would be great but as I have it on DTT TV would not be a show stopper if not in the combi box.

So not looking for much really !!!!!

Watty also knows of ways of using VLC media player which is freeware and how to recprd the whole multiplex of channels using usb dtt tuners. I haven't tried it but hopefully he will help us all in detail of how to go about it exactly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Check out VideoLan's DVBlast ... which will "rebroadcast/multicast" all channels from a mux on a PC, and allow any or all of them to be used.
    I have also used "minisapserver" which sends out the channel info for VLC to display in its playlist.

It works very well ....... you need a good hardware setup for viewing and recording. The multicasting uses very little resources.

regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pdutton

living in Donegal near the boarder, I was looking at a UK Philips HDT8520/05 dual tuner Freeview HD box so I can pickup both UK and Ireland channels. does anyone know if this will work ? The philips supports correct DVB-T2, MHEG, MPEG4 etc and with dual tuners can record one while watching another channel or even record two channels at once.

Advertisement