Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50:50 to end on the 28-03-11.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sharan

there has to be a face to face, so the police can look you in the eye and believe you are serious about it. No disrespect I have friends who joined 10 years ago and wonder how some got through the selection

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

sharan wrote: »
    there has to be a face to face, so the police can look you in the eye and believe you are serious about it. No disrespect I have friends who joined 10 years ago and wonder how some got through the selection

Know a few like that myself - beggars belief when I think of some of the people I know in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

1967J thats exactly what I meant. So when the people in garnerville pass out it will be over 30%.

Aye an interview with the PSNI would be good as you say it would give them a chance to see you for who you are and would give us a chance to put some difficult questions to them about security and the like. Aalthough there is the two year probation period where they can pretty much drop you if youre not up to standard.

Sun is shining im gonna head to the back garden and drink some corona!:)

1967J thats exactly what I meant. So when the people in garnerville pass out it will be over 30%.

Aye an interview with the PSNI would be good as you say it would give them a chance to see you for who you are and would give us a chance to put some difficult questions to them about security and the like. Aalthough there is the two year probation period where they can pretty much drop you if youre not up to standard.

Sun is shining im gonna head to the back garden and drink some corona!:)

I feel that the figure quoted in the press (30%) will include anyone in training as technically there are still members of the force - prehaps PSNI or Del will confirm as are in better position to comment on

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Delancey wrote: »
    Ha , you beat me to it Dietcoke ! Yes , Enda Kenny will be raising the ending of 50/50 with David Cameron.
    I have long said that I thought that 50/50 would end but be replaced by some mechanism to ensure RC representation was maintained , I was surprised that no announcement of this was made when the Secretary of State said 50/50 was over.

I'll stick my neck out a bit and say that I believe there will be some form of positive discrimination in relation to future recruitment. Just my own opinion of course and it goes without saying that sweet fxxx all will be heard on this until after the Assembly elections :rolleyes:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0405/psni.html

When the FTR are offically gone next year it will be interesting to see the percentage of RC's.

With over two hundered FTR leaving this must raise the percentage quite a bit. Maths is not my strong point:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    When the FTR are offically gone next year it will be interesting to see the percentage of RC's.

With over two hundered FTR leaving this must raise the percentage quite a bit. Maths is not my strong point:)

The FTR finished last month did they not?

Goonerdee wrote: »

Yes, As far as I know they finished at the end of March - would be interested also to know the revised figure - this assumes that the bulk of the FTR is comprised of NRC's

Goonerdee wrote: »

They finished operationally but they still remain in the organisation for the next 9 months for re training.

Getting full pay as well!

1967J wrote: »
    Yes, As far as I know they finished at the end of March - would be interested also to know the revised figure - this assumes that the bulk of the FTR is comprised of NRC's

I would very much doubt if this was not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Dietcoke1 wrote: »
    They finished operationally but they still remain in the organisation for the next 9 months for re training.

Getting full pay as well!

Why do I get the feeling you typed that through gritted teeth :D

It's a safe bet that the FTR would be predominantly NRC , the latest composition figure was 29.76% of the PSNI was RC - I don't believe this figure included the latest intake ( open to correction of course ).
    The challenge for the organisation will be to maintain the 30% RC figure - should this start to dip there will be significant political pressure for a mechanism to tackle this.

It's worth remembering that even at 30% RC representation is below the ' natural ' level of 42-45% - there is already pressure for the target to increase to this.

Despite the end of 50/50 I think it would be unwise to assume we have heard the last of the debate surrounding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

50/50. That rule was only necessary because of the vast number of recruits required. If they are recuiting only 50 to 60 or so at a time then it wont be necessary because press releases have shown that RCs and NRCs were achieving the same AC score at the higher level so there will more than likely be enough to make up a significant number of those appointed anyway. I don't think it will put Catholics off there not being 50/50 so I don't see it returning. Of course unregulated positive discrimination could result in very few NRCs being appointed to increase the RC percentage much faster! :P

Advertisement