Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

train...or busses

• 22-03-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

need to get to dublin the cheapest and fastest way possible. cant find the fare for one way train to dublin....and would anyone say the bus is quicker heading from limerick~?

essentially which is the best way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp

I prefer the Bus even if it takes longer. Cheaper and less of a rush to try
    and get a seat. I absolutely hate the mad dash at Limerick Junction to
    scramble for a free seat before you end up getting left standing after paying
    and absurd about of money for a ticket.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

you can get train tickets for 10 euro one way online

there are a few 10 euro tickets a day

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp

just guide over the euro symbol at each train and youll see the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i know. would really not take the train! but may have no other option :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

but the train is better:D

you can walk around on the train. ouhave more room. you have a toilet. you have a shop........................... train is a littlefaster but the comfort totally makes it better

so damn expensive though. but then again public transport is tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

lallychops wrote: »
    try having a car!

hey..if i had a car..i wouldnt have this problem!! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What day and time are you travelling? As Icky Thump said above, there are €10 train fares available at certain times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

And you can get a 15 percent discount if you use this code, O2T1159 valid until midnight tonight. Also if you book online you can reserve your seat at time of booking at no extra charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Took the train from Limerick to Dublin on a Friday at around 5pm a couple of weeks ago. Had practically an entire carriage to myself, same again on the Sunday evening on the way down.

Terrific way to travel IMO - far more comfortable than the bus.

When you book tickets online you also book a seat, and your name is displayed on an LED display above the seat so the scramble for seats at Limerick Junction is in fact a fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Costs me the bones of 60euro in petrol money to get up and down from Dublin, and thats only gonna increase even more. Seriously considering the train from now on!

What day and time are you travelling? As Icky Thump said above, there are €10 train fares available at certain times.

travelling at 10 am monday morning. book online you say....cant see a one way option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

travelling at 10 am monday morning. book online you say....cant see a one way option.

Delete the date from the return box for one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

lasno wrote: »
    And you can get a 15 percent discount if you use this code, O2T1159 valid until midnight tonight. Also if you book online you can reserve your seat at time of booking at no extra charge.

The reserved seat never works though, no one actually takes notice of it anyone will sit anywhere and there is no one to police it. But the deals online for one way on the train are pretty good tbh. I got it last year from Limerick to Dublin for 15 quid on around the 2pm train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I can get from Clonmacken in Limerick to Ballymun in Dublin in 2 hours by car.

Thats with no speeding. Such a great journey with the new roads.

However, due to the price of petrol increasing it will get more expensive to go by car.

Advertisement