Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lifejacket/bouyancy aid

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a lifejacket in Cork?Also I have heard that you need a different type of lifejacket if you are out on the open sea as opposed to being on an inland waterway? Can anyone clarify this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Union Chandlery, Penrose Quay - the staff are very helpful - go there first. J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I go to CH Marine for stuff like that.
    Judes wrote: »
    Union Chandlery, Penrose Quay - the staff are very helpful

I've found the opposite but ymmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Union Chandlery and CH Marine are the two main places in Cork.

The lifejacket you get depends on what you're doing. You're right in that if you're out at sea you probably want a higher rated one, that can withstand more damage, has more lift, etc.. If you're going on a lake or canal, you can use a coastal one fine as well, because I don't think there would be a huge difference between the coastal an inland one in price, and you'd be better off economically with a dual use one. And again, there will be oceanic lifejackets, designed for people crossing oceans, that would be overkill.

The big difference for most Irish uses would be whether you get a pre-inflated or gas inflated one. The pre-inflated are more bulky, and just have floatable material built in. Those would be used if you're canoeing or doing something in a dinghy, because you're far more likely to end up in the water than if you're doing something on a yacht. So you'd need something that is effective if you go in multiple times, rather than a once off thing.

Advertisement