Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental extortion 2

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi All,
    I couldn't find much information on this in other forums but if you see one please direct me or I'll add this there.
    So what a few months I've had recently, I had to move for work and
    I didn't do my background checks timely or as good as I could have done as a first time landlord. To my horror I get a call saying that the tenant will not pay rent, and indeed wants 3.5k to move on. I then find out that this is an organised criminal who does this quite often. Contemplated paying then tried to but he wouldn't accept then, and after he had been arrested for extortion by Gardai, ruled against in PTRB hearing he is still there, the house looks like a radio station with the surveillance wires sticking out of it.
    Just thought I'd discuss this and hope to spread the word of what to look out for in Waterford.

I try to help people when every time I seem to think I'm making a difference someone tramples on it.
    like the last post was deleted because some of the post had elements of violent speech in it, please I'm trying to raise awareness of criminal activity and get some solutions to it within the boundaries of Boards.ie law.
    6 months I haven't slept because I think I'm going to be attacked by this nutcase, 3 solicitors advised I have to go through PRTB perhaps next year I can have my property back I will never see any rent from this, my house will cost thousands to repair, I will never see any damages from this because the guy has cases dropped from intimidation. The Gardai wont help possibly because they know any effort will not end in any meaningful result in court.

eventually bailiffs can have him out in a year or so I guess.
    Any suggestion welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

BlueBlaa wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I couldn't find much information on this in other forums but if you see one please direct me or I'll add this there.
    So what a few months I've had recently, I had to move for work and
    I didn't do my background checks timely or as good as I could have done as a first time landlord. To my horror I get a call saying that the tenant will not pay rent, and indeed wants 3.5k to move on. I then find out that this is an organised criminal who does this quite often. Contemplated paying then tried to but he wouldn't accept then, and after he had been arrested for extortion by Gardai, ruled against in PTRB hearing he is still there, the house looks like a radio station with the surveillance wires sticking out of it.
    Just thought I'd discuss this and hope to spread the word of what to look out for in Waterford.

I try to help people when every time I seem to think I'm making a difference someone tramples on it.
    like the last post was deleted because some of the post had elements of violent speech in it, please I'm trying to raise awareness of criminal activity and get some solutions to it within the boundaries of Boards.ie law.
    6 months I haven't slept because I think I'm going to be attacked by this nutcase, 3 solicitors advised I have to go through PRTB perhaps next year I can have my property back I will never see any rent from this, my house will cost thousands to repair, I will never see any damages from this because the guy has cases dropped from intimidation. The Gardai wont help possibly because they know any effort will not end in any meaningful result in court.

eventually bailiffs can have him out in a year or so I guess.
    Any suggestion welcome

Are you saying your tenant is asking YOU to pay him 3.5 k to move out of YOUR house???
    Just an idea I have (don't know if it's suitable) watch until he's gone (to the pub let's say) and change the locks and get his stuff out (do have friends with you). Then if he aproaches you afterwards go to guards and make a written complaint about his threats (if he gives any) and get a restraining order (I don't know how long it takes to get one though...) And if you are afraid of him carry a self defence spray with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BlueBlaa

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Its a bit of a long story, currently the PRTB have ruled he has 5days to leave, after valid notices have been given, plus rewarded damages and all rent arrears, since Oct. He already has been arrested for extortion. I just have to wait until the PRTB get a court date to have an eviction order, then Bailiffs can remove him all in all from day 1 that will most likely be 1 year.
    The thing is that its this guys way of living rent free and also earning money through the extortion bit. So the house is wired with a camera and recording equipment, there is practically always someone there different cars at different times. I'm told his assets are frozen by CAB. so its kinda serious criminal stuff.

Well, I hope someone else will be able to give you some advice, I've never heard of anything like that...

tanyabond wrote: »
    Well, I hope someone else will be able to give you some advice, I've never heard of anything like that...
    Thanks I never heard of it myself before it happened and yet I found out that it has happened to others before. I hope that I can at least raise awareness. maybe someone will have advise. I have some contact with solicitor and Gardai of course but with half civil matters as there is tenancy involved it can only be dealth with through the PRTB. It is by far the most frustrating and angering thing i've ever had to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Are you saying your tenant is asking YOU to pay him 3.5 k to move out of YOUR house???
    Just an idea I have (don't know if it's suitable) watch until he's gone (to the pub let's say) and change the locks and get his stuff out (do have friends with you).

If the OP changed the locks they would be the one done by the cops not the tenant. It might sound crazy but thems the current rules and it sounds like this guy is well aware of that and is abusing the system. The tenant is most likely hoping the OP will resort to doing something like you suggest and will then sue them for illegal evication and take the OP to the cleaners and STILL be living in the house at the end of it all.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats it he know the limits he can take it, he will stay there until the very last second. By the looks of thing he actually has a few places on the go. He is part of a criminal gang. I am now well within my rights legally to go and move his belongins out of teh house and change the locks and if he feels that this is unfair then he can take me to court but will lose any case because I've done everything legally. PRTB do advise no to evict overholding tenant but to have them rule on it. They already have ruled on this but to make the ruling effective they need to serve the ruling on him. So all this takes time.
    If something like this happens to anyone else please, Issue Termination notices as early as possible these must be valid. If Rent is an issue then a 14days rent arreas notice must be posted first make sure you have proof of delivery swiftpost is best or a server in my experience. Time is of the essence and is on their side.
    Others before me have paid this guy off that only encourages it.

Another 2 weeks gone by, going the legal route is the worst idea I've ever had. I'm not saying people should do anything illegal but its been since 18th of October its getting harder to afford a future hopefully this wont last more than another 6 months. as work contract runs out in 3 months, imagine I'd be destitute and this guy in my house not paying a cent getting free electricity and gas. The PRTB will take another 3 weeks to send out a determination order. That's the document I need to get a court order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

hopefully the prtb get a move on it all sounds like a living nightmare shocking that the gardai are so unhelpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

If he's not paying rent then I presume he's not paying bills either. Can you not arrange for the services to be disconnected? That might make it uncomfortable for him?

BlueBlaa wrote: »
    Another 2 weeks gone by, going the legal route is the worst idea I've ever had. I'm not saying people should do anything illegal but its been since 18th of October its getting harder to afford a future hopefully this wont last more than another 6 months. as work contract runs out in 3 months, imagine I'd be destitute and this guy in my house not paying a cent getting free electricity and gas. The PRTB will take another 3 weeks to send out a determination order. That's the document I need to get a court order

Just a thought, could your ring up ESB and request for the electricity to be disconnected?

• Advertisement

If he's not paying rent then I presume he's not paying bills either. Can you not arrange for the services to be disconnected? That might make it uncomfortable for him?

Sorry, didn't notice your response:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Just a thought, could your ring up ESB and request for the electricity to be disconnected?

No you cannot do that. Cutting off essential utilties is illegal and would be seen as an illegal eviction. would cost the OP a fortune becasue the tennant who knows the law would end up getting awarded damages if that were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The services should be in the tenants name surely? Which makes it the utility company's responsibility for the cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Sorry to hear about that OP. Where in Waterford is the house?

The gas folks are supposed to be cutting off but dragging their heals they, the ESB just replaced the meter which he damaged(so he didn't have a bill) so they wont cut him off for another few months. Yeah I made sure at least the utilities were in his name.
    Yeah I guess its too late to go down the illegal eviction route now, but still what he owes would out do any fine plus at least I'd be able to get the house back on the market to pay any fine.
    Why do you ask about the whereabouts of the house? Its just outside the city

So it took almost 7 months in the end the deposit was given back and I left it at that, over 6 months free living and they've moved on. I love Ireland so much its just the people that I hate, never before had to ask for help through the Gardai or the legal system never will again. PRTB shame on you, the determination order explicitly stated that they may not enforce the order or take any legal course its up to the Landlord to take that action, I wonder if it the same for tenants

Are you saying that on top of all the losses you had to hand him over the deposit back?????
    In any case I'm so happy for you that this nightmare is over....

I'm happy to be over with it, there is no support for my situation, I could have kept on the legal route for another 6 months maybe have gotten a court eviction order, but 6 months rent + legal fees only to have the scumbag claim he has no money etc i'd be waiting a long time for any justice :-( . If I had the money then I would have kept it going now the only way people will hear of it is word of mouth rather than court rulings etc. Gardai are even suggesting i drop the extortion case in case or reprisal

So what's the story witht the deposit, did you have to pay him to get him out? How did you manage to end it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you have them out now. So surely the next step is for you to take legal action against them to recover the rent owed, plus interest and legal fees

• Advertisement

Yeah you'd think that is the next step, but for the Irish legal system to work correctly you have to rely on people to show up in court, for people to have fixed address, to be honest someone is nomadic, stays in one place for 6 months and moves on how can you track them? and if they don't use bank accounts and are known by different names. Its wrong. how come a small place like syrian can lock up 7000 innocent citizen and we can even lock up the guilty ones!

Advertisement