Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate for a new puppy

• 22-03-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Been reading the board for a while so decided to sign up and contribute a bit and also try and get some info out of experienced dog owners.

I am getting a puppy in a few weeks that will end up being about 17 - 19 inches tall (hopefully not too much bigger) and I was wondering what and where should I get the crate from?

I will need a divider in it aswell as I dont want her to have too much space in the crate at the start or the whole toilet training will go out the window!

I have looked online a few places but would like some real world experience.

Ta :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I got one of these type of metal crates when I got my dog three years ago. She's a terrier cross, but I got the one for medium dogs because I wanted to make sure she had plenty of room to stretch about in and I wanted her to not feel hemmed in as she was coming from a rescue environment (but it came in handy when her and her pups were in there).
    I believe the rule of thumb is for the dog to have plenty of room to stand up straight in the crate and be able to turn around comfortably.

It's a very easy crate to put together and folds down again in case you need to put it in the car or whatever. I'd heartily recommend them. I got mine in Petworld but I'm sure any pet shop will have them.

I wouldn't worry about a divider to be honest. It's going to be the pup's bed/nest. Dogs don't soil their beds unless they have some other problem or their owner isn't letting them out enough. When my dog had pups and the pups began eating solid food, it was too early to begin toilet training them outdoors. But they knew to come out of the crate and poop on the paper on the floor and they were just five/six weeks old.
    Her toilet training will go very well (but there will be accidents, might as well resign yourself to that now!) so long you're consistent about letting her out and watch out for any signals.

Best of luck with the new pup. What breed is it, as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I got this one from Zooplus for my cocker spaniel pup.

92 x 62 x 69 cm (L x W x H) , 2 doors 13555.1 £49.90 (sterling)
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/13555

Also Aldi have similar sized ones for sale at the moment. Good price: €34.99

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16204.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nudag

Thanks Paul and Lucy I will have a gander at them.

@ Lucy, getting a Labrador :) Cant wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If its a labrador it will be bigger than 17-19 inches.

You should get a crate that will fit the dog when its matured so no need to get one for now and one for when its older and fully grown, just get one.

Zooplus as someone else mentioned is a good place and i think Argos sell them too.
    I wouldnt bother with a divider either tbh. Just fill the crate with bedding which will encourage the pup not to go to the toilet in it, but just make sure the pup is not in for for any longer than a couple of hours at a time from the start as they need to go to the toilet very regularly so if they have no option they will go on their bed.

Advertisement