Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space in garden.(What to do)

Options
  • 22-03-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all

Was hoping to get your advise on what to do with a patch at the side of the house. At the moment it is filled with stone and I'm looking at it not really knowing what to do. Ideally I would like to jsut pave over it but the cost of the matching slabs are very expensive.

Looking at a shoestring budget of about €200 or less if possible. Any help greatly appreciated.

have attached video of area.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOokOXQXoU

or link(can't seem to get video to embed :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOokOXQXoU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

just looking at the wall i would buy new sleepers and build raised beds to grow veg it looks like a sun tap put some fruit trees ant train them up the wall littuce onions peas tomatoes herbs would bring life to that part of the garden once you start on grow your own you will never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A new use for an underused area:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Rylan wrote: »
    Hi all

Was hoping to get your advise on what to do with a patch at the side of the house. At the moment it is filled with stone and I'm looking at it not really knowing what to do. Ideally I would like to jsut pave over it but the cost of the matching slabs are very expensive.

Looking at a shoestring budget of about €200 or less if possible. Any help greatly appreciated.
    just looking at the wall i would buy new sleepers and build raised beds to grow veg it looks like a sun tap put some fruit trees ant train them up the wall littuce onions peas tomatoes herbs would bring life to that part of the garden once you start on grow your own you will never look back.

+1 on the raised bed idea with veg.

Looking at the sun on your vid I'm guessing that you're back garden is North to NE facing you get the afternoon and evening sun on your deck?

Anyway as your area is not a side entrance (due to the absence of a gate :rolleyes:) and as such will not have traffic why not make a raised bed?

You could edge with sympathetic stone, i.e. similar to or complementary to existing slabs) and raise or as suggested with treated timber. You will brighten the area up no end with either flowers, shrubs or veg.
    You don't need to raise too high but remove the old rubble and stones first to allow whatever you plant to grow into the soil beneath.

Alternative would be to cover with weed supressing membrane, edge and fill with decorative stone. Place a few containers on it and plant up. Again easily done in the €200 budget.

Not a lot of euro but a bit of effort and you will have something of interest instead of an expanse of grey slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Hi guys.

Just came back to this now as I hadnt noticed the replies. Thank you very much. I like the idea of a wee supressing membrane and edging and filling with nice stone and maybe putting a few pooted plants in there.

Any more suggestions more than welcome.

Advertisement