Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Doors (Supply only)

• 22-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a front and back PVC doors supply only and fit them myself but I can't seem to find any supply only companies. I've looked on the net and there seems to be plenty of UK companies that will build a door to your size and deliver but nothing similar in Ireland?

The doors aren't standard sizes unfortunately.

Can anyone suggest a supply only company in North Dublin, Louth or Meath? I am in Drogheda so that area would be best.

Also, when fitting a PVC door - I presume it is fixed with frame fixers through the inside of the frame (hinge side first, packers, etc)? Is the cill provided or built into the entire door and frame? If the cill is a seperate piece do I include the area for the cill in the overall dimension of the door or leave space for the cill?

If someone could point me towards maybe a youtube video or something similar that'd be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

Daragh86 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a front and back PVC doors supply only and fit them myself but I can't seem to find any supply only companies. I've looked on the net and there seems to be plenty of UK companies that will build a door to your size and deliver but nothing similar in Ireland?

Can anyone suggest a supply only company in North Dublin, Louth or Meath? I am in Drogheda so that area would be best.

Also, when fitting a PVC door - I presume it is fixed with frame fixers through the inside of the frame (hinge side first, packers, etc)? Is the cill provided or built into the entire door and frame? If the cill is a seperate piece do I include the area for the cill in the overall dimension of the door or leave space for the cill?

If someone could point me towards maybe a youtube video or something similar that'd be great.
    Most window company's will supply only .Munster joinery are one of the best on price they will fit it very cheaply too worth it if you haven't fit them before,they will delver any where. You normally sink them about 20mm below floor level ,no cill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you search under munster joinery on this forum you will lean the complete opposite to above...Sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Munster Joinery is 2 words not used around here anymore,they are that bad and shocking.

My neighbour used them 6-7 months ago,and the windows are in bits allready,bad quality and bad workmanship too.

Hi,

I recently had to get a few of my new Upvc windows custom made and I also got some of them tripple glazed with hand laid bespoke stained glass too.

I can PM you the name,number and website details of the chap who did it for me.

Or I can post his details and website here on the forum??

His work has to be seen to be believed,its thats good.

Hes in Dundalk,but travels nationwide with his work.

Pic of bespoke windows and stained glass glazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

try DL windows in Garristown in north Co Dublin i've used them many time's and always find them very good quaility and competivly priced.look them up on the web for there details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    I recently had to get a few of my new Upvc windows custom made and I also got some of them tripple glazed with hand laid bespoke stained glass too.

I can PM you the name,number and website details of the chap who did it for me.

Or I can post his details and website here on the forum??

His work has to be seen to be believed,its thats good.

Hes in Dundalk,but travels nationwide with his work.

Pic of bespoke windows and stained glass glazing

Show off ;)

Show off ;)

Just showing good quality work from good trades people.:)

The window chap who does this,is good mates with my architect/structural engineer and it was my architects idea to do a bit of bespoke stained tripple glazing in the house.The bespoke stained glass design was the work of the glazier,and was designed to suit the size of the window frame itself,yet still let in light.

He cut it and laid it by hand,did all the lead work by hand,then he sandwiched the stained glass in-between an exterior and exterior pane of glass.

I expected something like this to cost the sun,moon and stars,but I was very surprised with how good the price was in the end.

My girlfriend loves how it turned out,shes even worse than me,when it comes to taking pics of the house.:pac::D

Appoligies if I went off topic.

regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi,

Hi Daragh,

all window/door fabricators will make a door for you but I suggest

1. have a look at door panels, www.nwd.co.uk they supply the panels to most of the fabricators, so choose your front door panel first.
    2. Threshold, you can have, standard i.e thickness of frame at the bottom, say 80mm which you can recess 30mm into the floor
    or 50mm, less to recess, I assume the door will open in so careful with the level of flooring inside.
    or a wheel-chair friendly threshold, no recess fits directly on top of floor, useful if you have buggy's wheel-chair etc.
    3. hardware, type of handle, letterbox, knocker, and what colour for these
    Cill is not necessary, but if you want one allow a further 30mm

4. take these details, width, height etc to any window/door fabricator and they will sort you out.

Most will look for payment up front as the door will be a one off.

I am just south of Drogheda so if you want a few numbers PM.

I don't make doors, to be clear.

That NWD website has expired and doesnt exist anymore.

Also you shouldnt have to pay up front in full

I would only ever pay a maximum of 50% up front 1st,in order for the company to make the bespoke product.

Then payment of the other 50% once product has been supplied and or fitted and is signed off on,to the customers satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

If you search under munster joinery on this forum you will lean the complete opposite to above...Sorry.
    I didn't know they had a bad name, haven't used them in two years, then i used them a good few times but i fitted every thing myself never any problems or call backs, i was probably just lucky .

Advertisement