Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow - Price Difference IE/UK

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

went shopping this morning for a special occasion - saw a lovely item in a UK based store at a cost of 99 Euro. I noticed the sterling price was pulled off. As I have friends in the UK I decided not to purchase and see how much the price was in the UK - it was 65 Sterling. But 65 Sterling only adds up to 75 Euro. Why are they adding an extra 25 Euro onto the top and why pull off the sterling price tag - do they think they can fool us by doing that.

but many Irish shoppers don't seem to care or don't shop around. U.K companies operating here will normally do their best to higher the price because they know this weakness in Irish consumers - in particular, young consumers (who wouldn't be as price sensitive/price aware). I'm 29 and I don't buy off Tesco because they are a prime example as such. Their offers are often double that of their UK prices. Just don't buy from U.K companies here. They are easy to bypass considering you have friends in the UK that would be able to receive orders on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I will be purchasing it, but it will be from the UK. Not from Ireland. Id rather keep the 25 Euro in my own pocket.

they tried the "more expensive" story on alcohol in Ireland too, until people started going North - now we are cheaper than the UK.

Thanks. This kind of attitude is excellent for keeping the recession going and helping other countries beat their recessions. Excelsior to you, my good man.
    I witnesses a row in a shop in Letterkenny last year, the goods were marked as €52/£40.
    The girl handed the cash desk girl £40 and was told that it was only worth €44 and she would need to pay the €8 difference, well to say the customer lost the plot is to put it mildly the whole store had joined in and a big fuss was created.
    The store manager would have been better taking the £40 as they lost quite a few customers over it.
    Vat is almost the same, wages are a bit higher but at the end of the day if people are willing to pay it shops will charge it.

Theblueirish

Was the store a chain? If it is, please in mind that managerial staff usually have very little if any power of the prices and it's usually an issue with head office who have little to no contact with the general customer and have their heads so far up their asses the crap they come out with often puts the average store worker or manager in the sights of an irate customer. Please, don't blame the floor staff. For the most part, they don't want to or enjoy ripping anyone off or trying to pester people to sign up for this and that. They have to or risk losing their jobs and in some cases, even the jobs of their colleagues and management.

Advertisement