Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook group - JEDI as your Religion 2011 Census

Options
  • 22-03-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

In the 2001 census in the United Kingdom 390,000 people entered their religions as "Jedi" boosting it to the rank of fourth largest religion there.

Here in Ireland our next census will be taken on the 11th April 2011.

According to the 2006 census the top 4 religions in Ireland ranked by follower numbers are:

Christian - Roman Catholic 3,681,456
    Christian - Church of Ireland 125,580
    Islam 32,539
    Christian - Presbyterian 23,546

How many Jedi's will we have this year? You decide.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=155171104541308

I'm seriously thinking about doing this,

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Nope, I'm marking "no religion"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Recon wrote: »
    Nope, I'm marking "no religion"

Same here. If you have no religion, tick "No Religion". Putting yourself down as being Jedi will:

a) do nothing. Big whoop, Jedi might be recognised as being a religion. That means absolutely nothing, and no one will care because they'll know you're taking the piss

b) split the No Religion vote. If people who were going to say No Religion now say Jedi, there will be less No Religions. Be honest, if you have no religion, say no religion

c) allow Christians to appear like more of a majority than it is if the No Religion vote is split in two. This isn't the X Factor and trying to get Rage Against The Machine to the Xmas No1 instead. This actually matters for your locality and the nation.

Whatever your religion or lack thereof, please tell the truth on your census form.

Besides, saying you're a Jedi when you aren't is a Sith thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No religion here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'm in.. it's as good as no religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RichieC wrote: »
    I'm in.. it's as good as no religion.

It really isnt, if people want anything to change then no religion is what you mark down, picking made up religions (and this is coming from a lifelong Star Wars fan) is silly, and wont change a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

If your plan is to take the piss then at least try to be original, copying what another country did a few years back is sad.

If no religeon is the point your trying to make then say that as the other poster says.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

allanb49 wrote: »

Christian - Roman Catholic 3,681,456
    Christian - Church of Ireland 125,580
    Islam 32,539
    Christian - Presbyterian 23,546
    No religion, however, was the 2nd highest answer: http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popnclassbyreligionandnationality2006.htm

I hope to see it higher this year.

As you can see from there, "other" religions seem to get lumped into one.

I would find it amusing to see Jedi though :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Yeah, personally, I think this kind of thing is only funny to the kind of person who still votes for "Dustin" on ballot papers.

If you're religious, tell 'em what denomination you are, if you aren't say "no religion". Saying you're a Jedi just skews the figures.

And most importantly, if it were to suddenly to become apparent that Ireland harboured x amount of Jedis, it would leave us wide open to an attack from the dark side, and the defence forces here simply aren't prepared enough to be able to intercede in lieu of untrained jedi knights. Think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Think of the FAS courses/third level that will need to be set up for training young Jedis in the ways of 'The Force', and also manufacturing jobs in the light sabre industry.

And most importantly, if it were to suddenly to become apparent that Ireland harboured x amount of Jedis, it would leave us wide open to an attack from the dark side, and the defence forces here simply aren't prepared enough to be able to intercede in lieu of untrained jedi knights. Think of the children.

Good point, I'm marking down Sith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

krudler wrote: »
    It really isnt, if people want anything to change then no religion is what you mark down, picking made up religions (and this is coming from a lifelong Star Wars fan) is silly, and wont change a thing.

"made up religions"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

meh, it's an old joke and it wont really make as big an impact as people marking no religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'll be putting down no religion, save that, Notbeingadickheadism is looking awfully good beside this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

im putting down catholic or me mas will bate me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

whats this ?

No religion is the new religion ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mixednuts wrote: »
    whats this ?

20070422.gif

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

mixednuts wrote: »
    whats this ?

All the cool kids are doing it.

I'll remain true to my lifelong religion and put down catlick catolic catylic ..... hmmm a conversion may be on the cards before April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

If Mammy gives me Sh!t about no religion then I might mark it Sith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If I was to follow a religion based on something made up by a SciFi writer... I'll pick Scientologist...

kthxbai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

How many of these 'no religion' people have been baptised, confirmed and wed in a church. And will be buried in a church graveyard?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pj! wrote: »
    How many of these 'no religion' people have been baptised, confirmed and wed in a church. And will be buried in a church graveyard?

Wasn't my decision to be baptised or confirmed. Hopefully going to be cremated. As for being wed in a church, why do you think I want as many people to put down No Religion as possible? If I had children where I currently live, the ONLY choices of schools are Church-run schools. If I didn't get married in the church and have my kid christened there, they most likely wouldn't be accepted in the school enrolement. That's just one of the reasons why a larger percentage of No Religion votes will force the Church to give up control of many schools like they have already admitted they will have to, and give control over to the State, which is only right seeing as how the state funds the schools.

So yes, I have been baptised. I have had my First Communion. I have had my Confirmation. I was even an altar boy for 2 years. Still doesn't mean I believe in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Im a jedi. And thats the way its staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

The more people put down no religion, the less likely it will be for future generations of children to be baptised/confirmed against their will. I'm not necessarily saying that everyone would choose not to be baptised, but obviously a baby has no opinion or thoughts on the matter so baptising an infant into its parents religion seems ridiculous.

Remember, everyone is born an atheist!

As for being wed in a church? No thanks.

and how many who put down "Catholic" eat meat on Fridays, have sex before marriage, use condoms and dont believe in transubstantiation?

giggsy664 wrote: »
    "made up religions"

:pac:

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side :cool:

The Lightsabre is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

and how many who put down "Catholic" eat meat on Fridays, have sex before marriage, use condoms and dont believe in transubstantiation?

I'd like to think everyone who put down catholic :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mrodub

If your not a catholic say so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cns44mnqIRw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

All religions are made up, hence the point people are making by voting jedi. Still as much as I'd like to, no religion is the smarter choice in the end.

How many people who have merely been baptised, confirmed wed in a church and will be buried in a graveyard but do not practice religion in any way, believe the bible is true or go to church every sunday - have had sex before marriage etc etc etc and yet will still put down catholic? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

allanb49 wrote: »
    In the 2001 census in the United Kingdom 390,000 people entered their religions as "Jedi" boosting it to the rank of fourth largest religion there.

Yip, I was one of those and I think everyone at the hospital I worked in followed suit. Thankfully, there was no fuckwitbook Facebook around at the time. So sorry FB your a decade late on this one.

Advertisement