Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook group - JEDI as your Religion 2011 Census

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

allanb49 wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking about doing this,

Anyone else?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If you put down Jedi you'll just get lumped into the 'Other' group along with the Scientologists, Hari Krishnas, Mormons etc. It's not particularly helpful to anyone.
    Although to be honest, ANYTHING is better than putting doen 'Catholic'. They need their numbers slashed in this census because the Catholic Church still has a disproportionate say in matters of state (particularly the eduvcation system) because on the last census most people ticked 'catholic' out of habit without thinking about it.
    If you still believe in Jesus, but not the teachings of the Catholic Church (literal eating of the body of Christ on Sundays, no condoms allowed etc.) / don't go to Mass I would recommend, writing 'Christian' on the census. That way you are still counted as a Christian, but you are not letting the RCC have any extra undeserved power.

If you don't have a religion just tick 'No religion'. It's really that simple.
    Interestingly, figures for the Czech Republic indicate that 60% of their country is not religious. We can do better than that!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

This Jedi as a religion thing was mildly amusing when I heard of it 10 or so yare ago. It has not had the same impact since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone who puts down Jedi better know how to use a lightsaber cos I'm going to come round to their house an kick their ****ing face in using the Force of a steel-toe boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Barrington wrote: »
    Anyone who puts down Jedi better know how to use a lightsaber cos I'm going to come round to their house an kick their ****ing face in using the Force of a steel-toe boot

waves hand

violence is not the answer, it will lead you to the dark side :cool:

From the CSO today:
    In 2006 responses to the religion question which contained the word 'Jedi'
    were coded by CSO to 'Not stated' and appeared in this category in the
    publication on religion. CSO will follow the same procedure for similar
    responses in Census 2011.

Looks like there will be no recognised Jedis in Ireland so.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Galvasean wrote: »
    From the CSO today:

Looks like there will be no recognised Jedis in Ireland so.

That's good to hear, Jediism has not faired will in Australia or New Zealand either::
    Statistics New Zealand also assigned Jedi an official code, but a spokeswoman said the resulting total was lumped in with The Church of Elvis and Rugby, Racing and Beer as "responses deemed outside the scope of recognised religions".

She said prospective Jedi might be disappointed to hear that no magic number of followers was needed to be an official religion.

Australia's Bureau of Statistics categorised all Jedi-related responses as "not defined for Census output purposes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'll be ticking no religion because, well, I'm not religious.

But just as a matter of interest, what difference does it make if you put no religion? Is something supposed to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You're all going to hell.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »

But just as a matter of interest, what difference does it make if you put no religion? Is something supposed to change?

The Census is used for seeing what the needs of the country's people are. In the last census 88.4% of the Irish population was listed as being 'Catholic' (clearly not true, but still binding). This means that the Catholic Church has a lays claim to having the vast majority of Ireland's population as followers, giving them a large say in important matters of state.
    For example, in terms of primary school schooling over 90% of Irish primary schools are ones with a Catholic ethos in place. Effectively this means that in situations where the school has more applicants than places they are legally allowed to discriminate on who gets in based on their religion.
    If a very large portion of people tick 'no religion' (and/or there is an influx of other religions - bear in mind 'joke' answers such as Jedi, Winning etc. don't even count as 'other religion'. They get lumped into the 'not stated' category and are not counted among official percentages) the percentage of Catholics in the country will be significantly lower, giving the RCC less sway in matters of state.
    Eg: There would have to be more schools not run by the Catholic Church which would fairly accommodate people of different faiths or none.

The census isn't a fcuking facebook poll it's the CENSUS

If you want to be all cool and edgy then do it somewhere else than a document that will actually matter. PUtting down jedi is just going to be automatically converted to 'not stated'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    You're all going to hell.

Probably not, but in the highly unlikely event that the religious were right all along and we do sure who cares. It's where all the interesting people will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

Barrington wrote: »
    Same here. If you have no religion, tick "No Religion". Putting yourself down as being Jedi will:

a) do nothing. Big whoop, Jedi might be recognised as being a religion. That means absolutely nothing, and no one will care because they'll know you're taking the piss

Actually it won't ever be recognised as a religion no matter how many people claim to be Jedi. The CSO have confirmed that Jedis are counted as 'Not Stated'.

I will be marking 'No Religion'.

If I was to follow a religion based on something made up by a SciFi writer... I'll pick Scientologist...

kthxbai

You want to hope too many people don't answer that way or you might just find a bunch of government funded $cientology schools openning up in your area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Jedi would be godd but i'm marking 'atheism' as my religion. i'm fanatical in my belief that i have no belief in any higher being or power. And i'll go to great pains to back up this 'non' belief.

cursai wrote: »
    Jedi would be godd but i'm marking 'atheism' as my religion. i'm fanatical in my belief that i have no belief in any higher being or power. And i'll go to great pains to back up this 'non' belief.

Maybe you should write in 'Ignoramus'? Who knows, if enough ignoramuses answer the question honestly, the government might set up special schools for the children of ignoramuses and fund various public services based on the ignoramus ethos.

Maybe you should write in 'Ignoramus'? Who knows, if enough ignoramuses answer the question honestly, the government might set up special schools for the children of ignoramuses and fund various public services based on the ignoramus ethos.

Exactly my point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Wouldn't the world be such a better place if we all universally ticked the no religion box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bob Falfa

Of course you're attending. You're the one who set the Facebook event up in the first place.:(

It's probably a great laugh around the campus in UCD, and the SciFi soc, but for supposedly educated people it's just a joke. Shame there's nothing funny about it.

For someone studying biochemistry, does it not bother you that you're 'joke' could help the Catholics keep their influence in Irish classrooms? Every one of the 92% of schools under Catholic control is in direct hierarchical line to the Pope. A man who doesn't even believe in evolution, FFS!
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1645453.ece

I could care less what anybody believes, so long as my kids don't have to have their education filtered through a bronze age mindset.

You can't say you don't care about religious control in the public sphere if you have your name down on a petition to stop Sharia Law in Britain! Wake up and see that your own country has a golden opportunity to make secular education a reality.

At the very least stop deceiving your event followers:

Stop telling them that Jedi will be counted in the census returns - it wont.

Don't misrepresent newspaper articles as though they indicate Jedi is to be taken seriously - it isn't!

Don't show them an article from '02 and let on it means 2011 - it doesn't.

Don't mislead them into believing that Educate Together has any connection with your event - it doesn't.

As early as March 5th someone who worked on the last census told you the Jedi results would be discarded. in your reply you asked him if they were counted towards No Religion. It must have been on your mind back then, but then the event became popular and you are now willing to damage the valid No Religion campaign for the sake of your own ego.

You still have a chance to do something useful with the impressive number of followers you have amassed. These are people who obviously hold no religious beliefs. You could try to encourage them all to tick box 7. Anything else is playing right into Pope Palpatine Benedict's hands.

I'd love to hear what you have to say in response to this post. If I have anything wrong I'll gladly take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Jedi... thats hilarious. I'm definitely writing that down... lol.

trollface.gif

cursai wrote: »
    Exactly my point!

No, your ignorance was MY point. Your post was a result of your ignorance, there's a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bob Falfa wrote: »
    Every one of the 92% of schools under Catholic control is in direct hierarchical line to the Pope. A man who doesn't even believe in evolution, FFS!
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1645453.ece

Pope doesn't believe the theory of evolution shocker. Lighten up like.

No, your ignorance was MY point. Your post was a result of your ignorance, there's a difference.

Oh right. Your swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

One of the things they are taught as Catholics is that the pope is infallible. What he says is the word of God, basically. Benedict's denial of evolution is therefore Truth. Just as his predecessor John Paul II's acceptance of it was Truth.

Bob, you're wrong on that one. Just certain Papal decrees fall under the infallible rule, and AFAIK they are rare at that.

I'm with you on everything else though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Thanks for the correction! Any idea how to determine which decrees are infallible?

All hail the great infallible wiki;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility#Instances_of_papal_infallibility

Advertisement