Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best price nifty fifty?

• 22-03-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Im coming up with Ebay, Amazon, Pixmania, - cant get the brain to work:(
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

mumof2 wrote: »
    Im coming up with Ebay, Amazon, Pixmania, - cant get the brain to work:(
    thanks

You can expect to pay around €100 on eBay. A bit less if you buy
    from Asia, but the VAT man will probably want his share.

I got mine from this UK seller: http://myworld.ebay.ie/merlinphotographics/

See Item number: 280647011475

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

check Ian Kerso on ebay - flashcamera I think is the shop but he is usually great for prices and delivery quick. Google will tell you same :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Can also highly recommend Kerso / Flash Camera on ebay! Got my Nifty Fifty before Christmas and it was €85 delivered and he threw in a UV filter also! Arrived quickly and you dont have to worry about customs as he's based in Scotland! ;)

Its worth keeping an eye on his shop over a few days, prices sometimes go up and down!

If you are unsure of how to find him....go to the ebay.co.uk home page, at the bottom under "Buy", in grey text, you'll find "eBay Shops", then search for "Flash Camera"; searching by shop name and you'll get him that way!
    Nifty Fifty - Buy It Now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks so much

Just cant get over the price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Well the 1.4 is so much better in every respect. I've had both. The 1.4 takes 80% of my images and rarely comes off my camera. The 1.8 is good, the 1.4 is amazing. It's hard to explain. Image quality isn't a massive factor. The 1.4 has a quality and look/feel the 1.8 doesn't. I couldn't go back to using a 1.8.

Thats the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

You should see the price of the 1.2!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I traded in a 1.8 for a 1.4 (Canon, 40D) . The 1.8 is about eu90, the 1.4 is about 3 times the price.

I found
    - In terms of image quality, (on a crop sensor camera, at least) there is no meaningful difference between the 2. If anything the 1.8 is a bit sharper at some apertures.

but
    - virtually impossible to focus the f/1.8 manually
    - AF on the f/1.8 was a bit 'hit & miss' at times
    - And the noise really bothered me.

I know that sounds a bit stupid, but there was nothing worse to my ears than listening to the 1.8 wheezing & grinding as it AF'ed - was really distracting, I spent more time looking at the lens to see if it was OK, than I did looking through it, taking photographs.

I love the f/1.4 though. Silent. MF is easy. IQ is good.

but, then again
    - I sold the f/1.8 very quickly on adverts, and got a good price for it. So, no real risk to buying & trying.

If you reckon you can live with the limitations of the 1.8 , then buy it & save eu200!

- Foxt

FoxT wrote: »
    I traded in a 1.8 for a 1.4 (Canon, 40D) . The 1.8 is about eu90, the 1.4 is about 3 times the price.

I found
    - In terms of image quality, (on a crop sensor camera, at least) there is no meaningful difference between the 2. If anything the 1.8 is a bit sharper at some apertures.

but
    - virtually impossible to focus the f/1.8 manually
    - AF on the f/1.8 was a bit 'hit & miss' at times
    - And the noise really bothered me.

I know that sounds a bit stupid, but there was nothing worse to my ears than listening to the 1.8 wheezing & grinding as it AF'ed - was really distracting, I spent more time looking at the lens to see if it was OK, than I did looking through it, taking photographs.

I love the f/1.4 though. Silent. MF is easy. IQ is good.

but, then again
    - I sold the f/1.8 very quickly on adverts, and got a good price for it. So, no real risk to buying & trying.

If you reckon you can live with the limitations of the 1.8 , then buy it & save eu200!

- Foxt

I personally think I would prefer the 1.4 but will be very carefull and shop around. Have the advantage of Holland as well, seeing as I will be there in a few wks.....not sure about the airports duty free, dont think they would stock such items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

1.4's have the look you can't get with the 1.8

The 1.4's aren't sharp towards the corners at 1.4 and have light fall off but its beautiful.

The 1.4 weigh a bit more too and you can visibly see how much bigger the glass is in the front element.

It's only 1/3rd or 2/3's of a stop of light but it makes a massive difference.

DoF is tiny at 1.4, really good when shooting close to isolate points of interest.

1.2's are better again for speed, quality, feel. Just really expensive!

Sure everyone has a 50mm 1.8 so just get the 1.4 and become an elitist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Got the Canon 50 f1.8 on ebay for about €60 new from Hong Kong...

bang for buck, it's unbeatable in photography...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Got the Canon 50 f1.8 on ebay for about €60 new from Hong Kong...

bang for buck, it's unbeatable in photography...

How long did it take to arrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bout two weeks I think...

Advertisement