Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

DigiDec wrote: »
    Its been switched off now, must be gone home for the weekend )
    When Mux 2 from Maghera was switched on it would be powered off at the weekends and around 4pm during week days so looks like more testing of Mux 2 for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread.

When Mux 2 launches, will approved boxes / TVs retune automatically? If a low numbered service like RTE2 moves to mux 2, will it appear as Channel 14 or whatever, or will it automatically retain second place in the EPG?

Sky and Freesat handle moved / additional channels without user intervention, not sure about Freeview (I think manual retunes are sometimes necessary)

But in principle there's no reason why a signal could not be sent out to approved boxes that would trigger a rescan (and allow a service to change mux while retaining its previous EPG position.)

I just hope there won't someday be hundreds of 'where's my RTE2 gone' threads, pensioners left wondering where their channels went, etc. If manual retunes are going to be needed, it will need to be publicised.

On second thoughts, there will be enough hullaballoo with ASO, without interfering with the services of viewers who have already switched to Saorview. So I would think that Mux 2's launch would either be at least 3 months before ASO, or at least 3 months after. That's unless it can all be handled automatically by approved boxes / TVs.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No automatic retune. Freeview doesn't automatically retune either. Only Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Freeview in the UK frequently has changes which require retunes.

Most UK Freeview boxes will not automaticly pick up new channels, but Freeview HD boxes do (even on SD channels). However they only pick up changes on MUXes they already receive, so they will not detect a brand new MUX or a MUX moving to a different frequency.

If they handle the RTE2 MUX change like they do on Freeview in the UK, they will replace the 'old' RTE 2 with a MHEG message asking people to retune.
    Space on Freeview is in big demand, as this is not the case for the launch of MUX 2 they may well broadcast two versions of RTE 2 for a brief period to make the switchover easier.

The channels numbers called Logical Channel Numbers (LCN), are not dependant on which MUX they broadcast from, so there will be no problem putting the new MUX 2 version of RTE 2 on channel 2.

MarkK wrote: »
    Most UK Freeview boxes will not automaticly pick up new channels, but Freeview HD boxes do (even on SD channels). However they only pick up changes on MUXes they already receive, so they will not detect a brand new MUX or a MUX moving to a different frequency.
    My Samsung C530 TV is like this, it automatically detects changes on a mux which has already been tuned in. I noticed this during the RTÉjr/RTÉ One +1 tests, where the channels showed up without me doing a rescan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Of course guys you realise if they do make changes like that, all those people who say " I don't want/need MHEG5" will be on here moaning " i can't find XYZ, what happened?"

On a different note, I was near Ballinteer the other day and could get Mux 2. Since i was well and truly in the shadow of Three Rock, it must have been coming from there and not Kippure.

Since Holywell Hill, Clermont Cairn and Mt Leinster all need a retune at ASO, that's the logical time to launch Mux2. One Ring Re-tune instead of Freeview's interminable re-scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Karsini wrote: »
    My Samsung C530 TV is like this, it automatically detects changes on a mux which has already been tuned in. I noticed this during the RTÉjr/RTÉ One +1 tests, where the channels showed up without me doing a rescan.

+1. My LG TV did the very same.
    The Vision Saorview approved STB gives a message of new channels available, I think the Vision must do a search for new channels during stand bye or when box is connected to mains in the morning, this was happening when Wales freeview was coming in on my Forth reception aerial.
    I now have the two aerials combined, working perfect.
    I have also deleted a number of channels from the TV list (ie adult, dating and shopping channels) and I dont get a message that new channels are available for deleted channels, which is good.

My Panasonic idtv used to show a new channel message when a channel was added on mux 1 but when ever mux 2 is fired up i don't get the message at all even though i have the new message notice switched on. A bit annoying this as i have to do a scan every so often to check if mux 2 is on. :mad:

Really you only need to scan once. When RTE announces the service and possibly 24th October (the two could be the same). Only Mt Leinster, Holywell hill and Clermont Carn are changing frequency and only on Oct 24th 2012 (or shortly after).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

In my experience Freeview (+/HD) receivers that are now on the market these days are more likely to seek out new channels automatically whilst in standby. Some will only add channels that are on an existing multiplex, a few others will scan the whole band to sniff out any new transmissions e.g. a few months ago when Mux2 was fired up from Truskmore for tests, by Philips PVR receiver (Freeview HD, not Saorview approved) it added the test transmissions to the line up itself. Most receivers with this capability have an option to turn this on and off, as it could become confusing and maybe annoying to many viewers when they see that new services have been added only for them to be services from transmissions in mainland Europe that briefly appeared on a tropo lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

CH Mux2, E44, is on-air
    6 SD test channels and 1 HD test channel, all with test card
    10 audio channels, each have radio station playing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Kippure Ch 58 back on too, the radio fututre services are now labeled in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

no acticity on mt leinster ch 39 aka mux 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just did a rescan myself, nothing doing.

Souriau wrote: »
    CH Mux2, E44, is on-air
    6 SD test channels and 1 HD test channel, all with test card
    10 audio channels, each have radio station playing on it
    I recheck and is no longer transmitting, so must be part time testing...

Mux 2 from Maghera fired up since 12.00pm today. Some of the test cards now displaying the date as well as the time. Today fm not on 220 or 221 these are now silent and don't appear on the epg.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just did a scan from Mullaghanish, nothing doing on 24, and nothing either on 25 or 28.

I'm ~25km away using an indoor aerial (have 100% quality on mux 1) so I'd probably not be able to pick up a low power signal.

If mux 2 from Mullaghanish is switched on i normally get a very weak signal on channel 24 just enough to know mux 2 from Mulla is fired up. No signal there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Kippure on ch 58 is on too.

• Advertisement

I wonder how long they will be fired up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

My Panny can't see the radio channels on 220 & 221, are these reserved for Newstakl/Today FM?
    Anyone know if the mast upgrade for Maghera is still ongoing or completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Don't know about Maghera but Mt Leinster which started about the same time will be ready later this summer as posted by Saorview:Brian about a month ago. Maybe you could post the question over in his thread.

My Panny can't see the radio channels on 220 & 221, are these reserved for Newstakl/Today FM?
    My panny is the same and i have to punch in the numbers to bring up the channels. I think the upgrades on Maghera were due to be finished the end of 2011. I sent an email to RTENL a few months back asking when will the upgrades be completed and as far as i can remember the above answer is what i received back. I am open to correction on that.

Mux 2 from Maghera now powered off. Didn't last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

still nothing down here.

CH Mux 2 is back on-air
    I did a signal meter check using Emitor Digiair Pro
    Mux 1 = 52.9 dbµv
    Mux 2 = 53.1 dbµv

Update 11.45
    Power level increase to
    Mux 1 = 60.0 dbµv
    Mux 2 = 60.5 dbµv

Mux 2 from Maghera powered up again since 11.00am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1 HD test card in the Future Service 2 position on Maghera right now. The rest are SD.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1 HD test card in the Future Service 2 position on Maghera right now. The rest are SD.

I find it a tad amusing that they're using a PM5644 on a HD test. All of the gratings resolve properly as it's intended for SD use. The aspect ratio seems slightly off too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement