Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishfeen wrote: »
    Who is deciding the carriage fees? the minister, RTENL or BAI.... or a combination of all of them?

Latest information here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79749559
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Also when is TV3's broadcasting licence up for renewable? ... this would surely make TV3 play ball in relation to Saorview/Saorsat.

September 19th 2018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The second Saorview multiplex tends to be occasionally fired up at different sites if only to check that the relevant transmission systems are in good working order so that when it comes on air full time there should be very little pre-launch testing to do.

Coverage should be effectively equivalent to the first multiplex give or take a tiny amount because of propagation etc. One problem might occur is for users of indoor aerials whose signal is on the margins is that certain aerial positions for reception may suit one multiplex or the other, but both at the same time may prove trickier. In the analogue days, the sign would have been one channel being slightly snowier than the other and that adjusting the aerial for a better picture would need readjusting for other channels.

One thing I noticed looking down the list of the 1st multiplex frequencies is that allocations are in a similar pattern to that allocated for the UK in that all bar two sites are only using transmissions between E21 to E30 and E41 to E58. The exceptions have been Mitchelstown on E40 and Mt. Gabriel on E37 - the latter only a late comer and not in the original site plan. I know Holywell Hill has E32 now allocated for Saorview Mux 2 but it's interesting to see how they've kept a proportion of the band so clear, not to mention that E59 & E60 also aren't used (hedging bets against 4G interference problems?)

lawhec wrote: »
    not to mention that E59 & E60 also aren't used (hedging bets against 4G interference problems?)

Ch 60 will not be used for the first 6 muxes according to Comreg during the consulatation process for the 800MHz auction but may be used for a possible 7th or 8th mux. Ch59 is included in the planning for the first 6 muxes.

This from Comreg
    DTT spectrum requirements have been planned such that the first six DTT multiplexes in Ireland only use Channels 21 – 59, and not Channel 60. Channel 60 may be required for DTT in certain areas if a seventh or eighth DTT multiplex is required. However, the spectrum requirements for the seventh and eighth DTT multiplexes are being planned by ComReg on the basis that they would mainly or only use Channels 21-59.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

lawhec wrote: »
    One problem might occur is for users of indoor aerials whose signal is on the margins is that certain aerial positions for reception may suit one multiplex or the other, but both at the same time may prove trickier. In the analogue days, the sign would have been one channel being slightly snowier than the other and that adjusting the aerial for a better picture would need readjusting for other channels.

I just had a look at TG4 (HD) on Mux 2 from Maghera on CH55. It's certainly showing break-up whereas the Mux1 reception is rock solid. My set-up is probably fairly marginal - 40 km from transmitter w/ basic wideband aerial in loft, split 4 ways with no amplification.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

What about Truskmore in Sligo? Any test on channel 57 lately. There were a few months ago but nothing since that I saw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

First time I've seen Mux 2 on channel 33 here in Stillorgan. I presume it's Three Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Mux 2 on channel 33 (from Three Rock?) gone since last night.

Booms wrote: »
    First time I've seen Mux 2 on channel 33 here in Stillorgan. I presume it's Three Rock.
    Booms wrote: »
    Mux 2 on channel 33 (from Three Rock?) gone since last night.

Ch 33 is the Mux2 frequency allocated to Three Rock since it moved from the upper UHF band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Test Services and some Irish named placeholders have appeared this morning on the Saorview EPG from Clermont Carn (Ch.56 ) on my Sony Freeview HD TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Noticed that today & yesterday Mux2 channel 24 from Mullaghanish has been lit up. Strangely though my TV says "no new channels found". Is this Mux not carrying content - maybe just turned on to warm it up - or are my TV & walker box missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Noticed that today & yesterday Mux2 channel 24 from Mullaghanish has been lit up. Strangely though my TV says "no new channels found". Is this Mux not carrying content - maybe just turned on to warm it up - or are my TV & walker box missing something.
    My Panasonic idtv doesn't show the new channel found message even though i have it turned on. Maghera not fired up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nothing here on Woodcock Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

Test Services and some Irish named placeholders have appeared this morning on the Saorview EPG from Clermont Carn (Ch.56 ) on my Sony Freeview HD TV.

I thought Clermont Carn Mux 2 was on Ch 57

Nothing here in Ardee at the moment

With all the Mux 2 activity going on nationwide recently, could RTÉNL be planning a Christmas present for Saorview viewers with some new content amuse us;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimbowilson

I've never seen a MUX-2 ever transmitting from Holywell hill in Donegal. What exactly will be on the mux-2 and will it be available to Holywell hill? Sounds interesting that there could be new channels coming. Will my aerial system which i recent got, be able to get a mux-2 if and when it happens?

MUX 2 from Maghera is now fired up but it hasn't any test channels on it. RTENL guys pretty busy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimbowilson

MUX 2 from Maghera is now fired up but it hasn't any test channels on it. RTENL guys pretty busy today.

What are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've never seen a MUX-2 ever transmitting from Holywell hill in Donegal. What exactly will be on the mux-2 and will it be available to Holywell hill? Sounds interesting that there could be new channels coming. Will my aerial system which i recent got, be able to get a mux-2 if and when it happens?

Yes, you will be able to receive 2nd Mux

The most likely scenario is NO new channels, but simply TG4 in HD instead of SD.

Other reasons would be start of Oireachtas TV.

Either of these needs the 2nd Mux. Some Channels on existing Mux will move to new Mux, possibly RTE2 (HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I thought they said early 2013 before any sign of mux 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 closer1234

no sign of it here on my tv, from claremont carn??? anyone else got it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Nothing here from Truskmore in Sligo

What are you getting?
    Nothing mux 2 from Maghera seems to be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dubluc

I thought they said early 2013 before any sign of mux 2?

Perhaps it'll be announced in next week's budget what's happening. It might be announced that Oireachtas TV which is already on air for UPC customers is to be broadcast on Saorview.

Surely this wouldn't cost anything extra except to turn on Mux2? With the savings from 3 state channels turned off on analogue, Mux2 wouldn't cost extra surely? Wouldn't OTV be ready to go at flick of a switch?

I'd assume the remainder of any such announcement would be to give details of a 'broadcast tax' to replace the TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Dubluc wrote: »
    .....Oireachtas TV which is already on air for UPC customers is to be broadcast on Saorview.

didn't know that was on upc. I hope we get something more if mux 2 launched. TG4/TV3 HD would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nothing doing on 33 (Three Rock) or Kippure (58)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

MUX 2 was up and running on Clermont the other day and was coming in loud and clear but no channels came up, so at least I'll be ready to go when it does!

Mullaghanish Mux 2, channel 24 lit up again today.
    No channels being transmitted though.

Mullaghanish Mux 2, channel 24 lit up again today.
    No channels being transmitted though.
    I think it was on for most of last week from Mullaghanish. I can pick up a very weak signal from Mulla on channel 24 so i can tell when MUX 2 is switched on.

I think it was on for most of last week from Mullaghanish. I can pick up a very weak signal from Mulla on channel 24 so i can tell when MUX 2 is switched on.
    True but they switched it off for the w/e. As per last week there's still no content (well as far as my Panny D25 goes - still says "no new channels found").

• Advertisement

Mux 2 from Maghera was on for a couple of hours one day last week again with no channels on it. Maybe something will appear on it in the new year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement