Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

12 element wrote: »
    RTE One to go HD too I'm hearing.

Obviously RTE1 will go HD at some stage in the future, are you hearing that it will be soon and is your source reliable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hopefully RTE One HD, TV3 HD and TG4 HD and the Dail channel all launch to make a retune worth while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the second mux starts up, there is room for three more channels to go HD. To me the most obvious configuration would be for RTE to take Mux1 and the other channels to go on the second Mux. In that case, each Mux would have 2 HD channels and 2 SD channels. The extra channel on the second mux would be OTV (I presume). Additional (non RTE) radio channels could be allowed to fill the space left on Mux2.

This all assumes that there is agreement on transmission fees.

Mux1

RTE 1 HD
    RTE 2 HD
    RTE NN
    RTE jr/Plus

Mux2

TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    3E
    OTV

Assuming that an HD channel takes 3 times the bandwidth of an SD channel, this would give RTE 50% of the total cost of transmission, TV3 25%, TG4 18% with OTV taking the balance. Radio channels would have to pay something, but only on Mux2.

The Irish Film channel that has been mentioned could time share with OTV (and cost share).

This scheme would be a saving for TV3 compared with analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

galtee boy wrote: »
    Obviously RTE1 will go HD at some stage in the future, are you hearing that it will be soon and is your source reliable ?

Yeah sooner rather than later probably January. We'll have to see but has always been spot on far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

12 element wrote: »
    Yeah sooner rather than later probably January. We'll have to see but has always been spot on far!

Ok, we await with baited breath ! I think all this testing of Mux 2 is not for nothing, especially so close to Christmas and something new could be about to show up, but this is just speculation and all the test channels could disappear and not reappear for months again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Hey guys I called RTÉNL earlier there.
    They gave me some bad news!!
    All this testing that were getting is due to disappear middle of next week.
    They saz they are only testing the frequencies over a longer period of time and that no new channels are on the horizon and that there won't be ne in the foreseeable future as no channels have come forward and offered to be carried on saorview yet.
    More information call RTÉNL on 012082259

I'm raging myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Souriau wrote: »
    CH on E44. Mux 2 is slightly stronger than Mux 1

MHEG-5 Aertel is on Test channel 1 and 2

Why is Test channel 4 and 5 got the 4:3 test card stretch to fill the 16:9
    The resolution is also poor, little hazy

My LG 32LF7700, UK spec only, Freesat with Freeview and MPEG-4 tuners build-in
    This TV does not show the aspect ratio correctly for the 2 channels, Test Service 4 & 5, that is broadcasting with 4:3 flag so it is shown as strecth to 16:9 ratio. I have checked the setting on the TV and is set for Orginal screen aspect ratio.
    While my Sony TV, Saorview certified, does show the 2 channels on correct aspect ratio, 4:3.

Hey guys I called RTÉNL earlier there.
    They gave me some bad news!!
    All this testing that were getting is due to disappear middle of next week.
    They saz they are only testing the frequencies over a longer period of time and that no new channels are on the horizon and that there won't be ne in the foreseeable future as no channels have come forward and offered to be carried on saorview yet.
    More information call RTÉNL on 012082259

I'm raging myself :(
    Ah that's a pitty, it will probably mean TG4 and TV3 will make their HD channels exclusive to pay tv undermining the Saorview platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think RTE has to pay RTENL for carriage of the Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah that's a pitty, it will probably mean TG4 and TV3 will make their HD channels exclusive to pay tv undermining the Saorview platform.

I think BCI can be challenged to do something about that as it breaks the spirit of having licence.

Either you give same or better to FTA or lose licence and be a Pay TV Foreign channel only should be the rule for an Irish Licence.

T3 & TG4 get money from TV Licence.

Setanta shouldn't get a penny yet they do. Their FTA/FTV is a fake, it's part of their marketing to get a Skybox and viewing Pay TV card into your house. Boycott the Setanta Card scheme and complain to BCI.

It's the money of the TV licence payer being misused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The BAI will do nothing. We're still having the same discussion as before, suggesting things that no one in RTÉ, TV3, TG4, DCENR, Setanta, Sky and UPC will do or have any plans to do. They are overpaid and uninterested in their jobs. They are only interested in keeping the status quo.

Lets face it DCENR gave funding to TG4 HD before the minister called on the Department to carry out a public review and the BAI to carry out a sectorial impact review. This funding for HD was provided in 2011, yet the BAI don't mention it in their report into the Expressions of Interest that were provided to them.

The minister still hasn't simply asked his Department or the BAI do carry out such reviews. PATHETIC.

Thus TG4 HD remains as usual a "trial" :rolleyes:

This is the kind of crap that goes on, so the likelyhood of RTÉ ONE HD in 2013 is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It does not cost any extra to put RTE 1+1 on the mux, other than some extra rights costs (if any) because otherwise it would be stuffed with zeros.

It costs us decent horizontal resolution on SD channels. RTE1 looks ridiculously soft.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

watty wrote: »
    That's a bizarre outlook. The only stuff that can't retune isn't compatible and shouldn't have been sold here.

Not that it can't retune, but that the user will need to retune.

AFAIK it's not in the Saorview spec that boxes can automatically detect and tune in a new mux. Freeview boxes don't.

So if Mux 2 lauches just before Xmas, we will have OAPs and other vulnerable (or just tech-averse) viewers left without 1 or 2 of the four main channels until someone can retune it for them. Would be a stupid time of year to do that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Freeview boxes don't.

All three of my Freeview HD boxes detect Mux 2 and tune it in without any problems.

(Presuming that they tuned it in automatically, and you didn't have to do anything - is that correct?)

Some can, but it's not part of the spec, so you can't say 'Freeview boxes auto-retune' any more than you can say 'Saorview boxes record'.

Some Freeview boxes auto-retune.
    Some Saorview boxes can record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimbowilson

Holywell Hill co Donegal MUX2 has switched on with test transmissions. 98% signal and 100% quality. will check which channel mux number tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Holywell Hill co Donegal MUX2 has switched on with test transmissions... will check which channel mux number tomorrow

Should be on UHF Ch.33.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimbowilson

The Cush wrote: »
    Should be on UHF Ch.33.

That's the very one

Just for future reference lads, I am receiving all the Saorview channels on Mux 1 without any problem (signal strength 55) but the testing channels on Mux 2 are intermittent with a signal strength of about 7 and a Bit error level of 300-2000 most of the time. Any idea of the problem in case they decide to power up full time next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

What's your antenna type?

• Advertisement

Just for future reference lads, I am receiving all the Saorview channels on Mux 1 without any problem (signal strength 55) but the testing channels on Mux 2 are intermittent with a signal strength of about 7 and a Bit error level of 300-2000 most of the time. Any idea of the problem in case they decide to power up full time next year?

When you say signal strength 55 or 7, is that a % bar graphic? If so, the 55% for Mux1 is also a little low but good enough for stable reception.

RTÉ have said previously that coverage of the various muxes from any one transmitter may differ slightly from each other.

My guess would be your aerial setup needs looking at, aerial and/or cabling. Are you using an indoor or outdoor aerial? VHF or UHF?

When you say signal strength 55 or 7, is that a % bar graphic? If so, the 55% for Mux1 is also a little low but good enough for stable reception.

RTÉ have said previously that coverage of the various muxes from any one transmitter may differ slightly from each other.

My guess would be your aerial setup needs looking at, aerial and/or cabling. Are you using an indoor or outdoor aerial? VHF or UHF?
    Yeah I think its a % bar, its a samsung tv anyway. There is two old aerial's, an RTE and a TV3 aerial but it has been working away without any bother up to this point, even in bad weather there is never any problems. You are probably right I will buy a new aerial if they ever power up MUX 2.

There is two old aerial's, an RTE and a TV3 aerial but it has been working away without any bother up to this point, even in bad weather there is never any problems. You are probably right I will buy a new aerial if they ever power up MUX 2.

You may not require a new aerial, the existing TV3 (UHF) may be OK if it's still in good condition.

It would be a good idea to remove the VHF aerial and UHF/VHF aerial combiner and while up there check the condition of the UHF aerial, the co-ax cable connections to the aerial and the co-ax cable itself.

I assume you're receiving your signal from Mullaghanish (VHF aerial in Cork), is this the recommended Saorview transmitter for your location?

You may not require a new aerial, the existing TV3 (UHF) may be OK if it's still in good condition.

It would be a good idea to remove the VHF aerial and UHF/VHF aerial combiner and while up there check the condition of the UHF aerial, the co-ax cable connections to the aerial and the co-ax cable itself.

I assume you're receiving your signal from Mullaghanish (VHF aerial in Cork), is this the recommended Saorview transmitter for your location?
    No its actually Maghera, that's what the Saorview website says anyway, we live on the wrong side of a hill to receive signal from Mullaghanish, but I am thinking that the signal is actually been got from Mitchelstown at the minute. I actually opened up the box joining the two aerials and its in a bad way with rust so I put on the cover and left it alone:)... it would only be costing me money if I went at it.

It could cost you a lot more if water gets into the cable and runs down into your TV / STB.

No its actually Maghera, that's what the Saorview website says anyway, we live on the wrong side of a hill to receive signal from Mullaghanish, but I am thinking that the signal is actually been got from Mitchelstown at the minute. I actually opened up the box joining the two aerials and its in a bad way with rust so I put on the cover and left it alone:)... it would only be costing me money if I went at it.

Can you identify the frequency/UHF channel no of the 2 muxes you're receiving at the moment? Someone mentioned earlier in the thread Mitchelstown Mux 2 was switched on recently, maybe you're picking that up with the Maghera UHF aerial which might explain the difference in signal strength between the 2 muxes.

It would be a good idea to remove that corroded uhf/vhf combiner (doesn't help the signal strength) and simply join the downlead from the UHF aerial to the house feed using f-connectors/joiner and waterproof tape to seal. Also check the co-ax connection to the UHF aerial for corrosion/water ingress.

ninja900 wrote: »
    It could cost you a lot more if water gets into the cable and runs down into your TV / STB.
    The TV is not directly connected to the aerial, its running down to the tv point on the wall, so no possibility of touching the tv, I understand what you are saying though it happened to the grandmother's TV a few years ago with a very old aerial.

Can you identify the frequency/UHF channel no of the 2 muxes you're receiving at the moment? Someone mentioned earlier in the thread Mitchelstown Mux 2 was switched on recently, maybe you're picking that up with the Maghera UHF aerial which might explain the difference in signal strength between the 2 muxes.

It would be a good idea to remove that corroded uhf/vhf combiner (doesn't help the signal strength) and simply join the downlead from the UHF aerial to the house feed using f-connectors/joiner and waterproof tape to seal. Also check the co-ax connection to the UHF aerial for corrosion/water ingress.
    From what I can make out MUX 1 is running on Freq 690000 and MUX 2 - 746000 if you can understand that? Ya I will try and sort it out soon but as I said I have had no problems with MUX 1 all along.

From what I can make out MUX 1 is running on Freq 690000 and MUX 2 - 746000

Maghera UHF Chs. 48 & 55, H polarised aerial.

Mitchelstown is allocated 40 (626000) & 43 (650000), V polarised aerial.

• Advertisement

Maghera UHF Chs. 48 & 55, H polarised aerial.

Mitchelstown is allocated 40 (626000) & 43 (650000), V polarised aerial.

So i'm not picking up any of them??:rolleyes:

Edit ... Ah I understand it now yeah it seems i'm getting both Muxes from Maghera.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement