Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That looks like the pisswater that passed for policy making in Eamon Ryans day but my reading is that as HD launch is Saturday then RTE2 HD should be on Mux 2 as and from that date!

Maybe RTENL read the decision and cranked up Mux 2 in a panic. :cool:

Maybe Mux 2 will be a duplicate of Mux 1 for Saturday (as they seem to be doing now on some transmitters).

That way, condition 1 under section 1.1 above will be satisfied, and they won't get a rake of complaints from users unsure how to re-tune their setup if they remove RTE2 HD from Mux 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Makes perfect sense that.

People looking for MUX 2 on relays can often narrow their searches down if they check this channel listing from 2 years back.

http://www.rte.ie/about/tenders/antennasystemfordtt/Section%203%20-%20Specification%208025AN-03%20-%20%20HRP-VRP%20requirement.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I am now receiving 2nd Mux from Cairn Hill on E44, 658Mhz.
    On my TV is locked and add but returned as 0 TV and 0 Radio
    Signal strengh is full, same as Mux 1
    I then rechecked with TSreader and again locked on and there is just 1,
    0x1fff @ 100% at 24.125mbit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The could always broadcast mux 2 for a few days as a 0x1 for the poor oul eejits with UK Tellys and Panasonic so they could tune the channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Souriau wrote: »
    I am now receiving 2nd Mux from Cairn Hill on E44, 658Mhz.
    On my TV is locked and add but returned as 0 TV and 0 Radio
    Signal strengh is full, same as Mux 1
    I then rechecked with TSreader and again locked on and there is just 1,
    0x1fff @ 100% at 24.125mbit

Same here from Mullaghanish since earlier today - carrier with no content, for the past year or so it was carrying an almost duplicate (on and off) of Mux 1.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Same here from Mullaghanish since earlier today - carrier with no content, before that it was carrying an almost duplicate of Mux 1 (except for the 2 test services which were running 24 hrs).
    I missed that, I was out allday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Spur Hill 49 is on too. (MUX1 is on 45 from there)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The could always broadcast mux 2 for a few days as a 0x1 for the poor oul eejits with UK Tellys and Panasonic so they could tune the channels.

Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

SRB wrote: »
    If it's coming off Three Rock and not Kippure, that would explain the difference in signal between 54 and 58 where I am. Anyone in Kippure only land ?

Picking up a second signal on channel 58(770 MHz) from Kippure.
    Nothing on it as of yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

shinobi wrote: »
    Picking up a second signal on channel 58(770 MHz) from Kippure.
    Nothing on it as of yet.

I'm getting a signal on 58 from 3Rock, but at much less power than 54, and again nothing on it as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I'm getting a signal on 58 from 3Rock, but at much less power than 54, and again nothing on it as far as I can tell.

Strength for both Channels 54 and 58 using Prog Finder on laptop is equal at 60% & 95% quality also.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

I saw this thread yesterday evening and checked my TV only seeing Mux1 on C22.
    I checked earlier today and Mux2 now on C25 at same strength. No services carried.
    Transmitter is Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

59 in Dungarvan for anyone interested

Woodcock Hill Mux 2 - Ch 44.

Can someone confirm, my aerial is pointing at Mullaghanish but the search pauses at Ch 44?

Woodcock Hill Mux 2: 658MHz, Ch 44. No services actually on it at breakfast time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

On Hollywell Hill it's on 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Test Service has now been renamed to RTEjr.

Test card and tone at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dunkelgrun

Three Rock
    Channel 7 = RTÉjr (Test Card and Tone)
    Channel 8 = RTÉ One + 1 (blank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DigiDec wrote: »
    Test Service has now been renamed to RTEjr.

Test card and tone at present.
    dunkelgrun wrote: »
    Three Rock
    Channel 7 = RTÉjr (Test Card and Tone)
    Channel 8 = RTÉ One + 1 (blank)

Have these moved from the MUX 1 to MUX 2

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dunkelgrun

Sorry - I should have said they're on Ch54 (Mux1)
    Apologies for the cross-thread...

• Advertisement

Nothing yet on Mux2, I rechecked with TSReader.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Souriau wrote: »
    Nothing yet on Mux2, I rechecked with TSReader.

Hi There,

I have 2 panasonic TVs (Freesat UK spec) with the known problem where they will not scan the channels correctly ..

Now, both of my Tvs are currently working as I had scanned them prior to the "flag" change ..

I am currently in Dublin receiving my channels from 3 Rock on Channel 54.

If the 2nd Mux / channel comes operational in Dublin, Will some channels be moved to this Mux / channel, and hence be unavailable to me ?

Does anyone know which channels will be moved to the Mux/channel other than 54 ?

Cheers,

Bob
    Please don't say RTE 2 HD .......

bob11 wrote: »
    Please don't say RTE 2 HD .......

RTÉ 2 HD I'm afraid and RTÉ One +1/RTÉjr from 1st Sept.

The Cush wrote: »
    RTÉ 2 HD I'm afraid and RTÉ One +1/RTÉjr from 1st Sept.

I was dreading that answer ...

Do you think is there any likelyhood of RTE dropping the Ox .... flag temporarily for an hour or 2 to allow us dodgy Panasonic users to rescan and save Hotel Files ??

I think they may have done this a few months ago ..

You seem to be well connected to ask the appropriate people :-)

Thanks ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Truskmore has E57 fired up for the past couple of days with no TV or Radio services.

bob11 wrote: »
    I was dreading that answer ...

Do you think is there any likelyhood of RTE dropping the Ox .... flag temporarily for an hour or 2 to allow us dodgy Panasonic users to rescan and save Hotel Files ??

I think they may have done this a few months ago ..

You seem to be well connected to ask the appropriate people :-)

Thanks ...

The onus is on Panasonic. Is RTE NL to mess up their settings every time they need to change things?

It will change again when the 2nd Mux comes into use and later when channels start.

Basically you either buy a set box or Panasonic fixes it. Harsh viewpoint maybe but reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

@Bob - if I was you, I would contact Panasonic... see what they say!

marclt wrote: »
    @Bob - if I was you, I would contact Panasonic... see what they say!

I Tried this already quite a while ago:

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr *****,

Panasonic has received a number of communications from customers residing in the Republic of Ireland concerning the functionality of Freesat and Freeview compliant products. As our customers are aware, Panasonic Freeview product is not sold in the Republic of Ireland. We do, however, market a range of products which are DTT specific to the Republic of Ireland.

Customer queries have primarily been on the capability of these sets to receive the Irish DTT test transmissions. Standard Freeview sets, imported from the UK and Northern Ireland, received the first MPEG2 DTT test transmissions. However, as a consequence of changes to RTE’s direction with regard to test transmissions, we have been aware since mid-April 2009 that this is no longer possible.

Given that we are not directly involved with the testing being carried out by RTE, we cannot offer any formal information regarding testing already carried or, indeed, their future plans.

We would stress that the question of upgrading or altering the specification of these Freeview products in order to enable them to receive the altered DTT signal is more significant than just a software or firmware change, and unfortunately we have no modification available to customers who find themselves in this position. This also applies to any future specification changes that may be requested.

We are aware that a number of entries on various customer forums discuss modification of the firmware. We would stress that action of this nature is entirely at the risk of the customer and Panasonic would neither condone nor enable such an activity for the reasons stated above.

To clarify, the hardware and software on any Freeview compliant products have been designed for operation in the Northern Irish, and mainland UK markets. We are regrettably therefore unable to provide additional support to our customers in the Republic of Ireland who may have purchased these products.

If the users have purchased these units expressly for DTT functionality, and it was marketed to them by the retailer from whom they purchased the unit on this basis alone, we would suggest they contact these retailers to address their issues. We have notified the dealers in the North of Ireland about our opinion on this issue, and the fact that product cannot and should not be sold to customers in Republic of Ireland for Free to Air digital TV reception.

We would further add that Panasonic is not authorised to market Freesat models in the Republic of Ireland, nor to support the operation of the Freesat tuner by way of software or firmware upgrade.

Of course, Panasonic is fully committed to supporting our products marketed specifically for the Republic of Ireland to ensure continued functionality.

We appreciate that this response may cause some disappointment to our customers. However, our position is clear with regard to DTT compliant products in the Republic of Ireland.

Kind Regards
    Dealer Support / Correspondence Team
    Panasonic UK Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't think Panasonic have the ability to explain why they willfully ignored part of the specifications which RTÉ are quite entitled to use and are supposed to use for flagging MPEG-4 broadcasts.

Their claim about the situation needing more than a firmware upgrade is quite dubious to me but I don't know enough about how the DVB-T features of a TV are handled and what changes can be made etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

mux 2 on channel 58 from 3 Rock seems to be at a much lower level than channel 54. Is it possible that 3 Rock is not transmitting the second mux and what I'm getting is from Kippure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement