Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Elmo wrote: »
    No one could pay for the incompetence in FTA TV in this country.

or rather RTE fronted 75m to build the infrastructure, now no-one want to pay to be on it.

Solution: Take their licences back, they don't have any money. We can then kick on with higher quality bit rates etc. Mux 2 is being held to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

marclt wrote: »
    Mux 2 was back on at Mt Leinster earlier. It went off air around 6.15. I'm not sure how much more testing needs to take place really.

The occasional switching on of Mux 2 will continue until it goes live with content. Someone from Saorview mentioned here or on their Tech & Trade facebook page previously that it's switched on from time to time at the various transmitters to ensure that the equipment is in working order for when it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

i wonder will we get rte one hd testing soon. o and is there any news on when tv3 will be going hd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ninja900 wrote: »
    They still do hardly anything to promote their digital channels. .

All their channels are "digital".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well obviously I meant the new channels, the ones which were never available on analogue.

BBC4 is, or was up until very recently, displaying a 'Digital Channel of the Year' banner. Perhaps it should've said 'Digital Channel (Excluding The Digital Channels Formerly Available On Analogue) Of The Year' instead? ;)

Don't know what your link is, I get a 'you are not allowed to view this page' message.

Edit: BBC Four is digital channel of the year

Or this: http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/bbc-success-in-channel-of-the-year-awards-188293/
    BBC Two has won terrestrial channel of the year at the Media Guardian Edinburgh International Television Festival.

The BBC’s digital channel BBC Four was named digital channel of the year.

So apparently BBC Two is 'terrestrial' (but is also digital - OK it was still available on analogue in NI at that time, just about) and Four is 'digital' (but of course is on terrestrial TV as well.)

Confused yet? ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Mux 2 and RTÉ 1 HD by Christmas
    More Music wrote: »
    MUX2 will be switched on before the end of the year.

RTE1 HD will be broadcasting in time for Christmas.

That's 2013, BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

ninja900 wrote: »
    Well obviously I meant the new channels, the ones which were never available on analogue.

BBC4 is, or was up until very recently, displaying a 'Digital Channel of the Year' banner. Perhaps it should've said 'Digital Channel (Excluding The Digital Channels Formerly Available On Analogue) Of The Year' instead? ;)

Don't know what your link is, I get a 'you are not allowed to view this page' message.

Edit: BBC Four is digital channel of the year

Or this: http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/bbc-success-in-channel-of-the-year-awards-188293/

So apparently BBC Two is 'terrestrial' (but is also digital - OK it was still available on analogue in NI at that time, just about) and Four is 'digital' (but of course is on terrestrial TV as well.)

Confused yet? ;)

I think the BBC links that are shown above are for the 2012 winners.

From what I've seen is that The Channel of the Year strap for this year awards had gone to ITV.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23815065

The Digital Channel of the year went to ITV2.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/home/broadcast-digital-awards/itv2-wins-channel-of-the-year/5057979.article

It is also great news hearing that RTE1 will go HD before Christmas. I also cannot wait for MUX 2 to officially launch by than. It will be a nice & interesting time to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Are people just guessing that RTÉ One HD/Mux 2 will launch before Christmas?... Because the only place I have seen it mentioned by RTÉ was on their Autumn launch brochure where they said it would be the new year.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Are people just guessing that RTÉ One HD/Mux 2 will launch before Christmas?... Because the only place I have seen it mentioned by RTÉ was on their Autumn launch brochure where they said it would be the new year.

More Music is someone with some inside knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

sky23 wrote: »
    i wonder will we get rte one hd testing soon. o and is there any news on when tv3 will be going hd?

There will be no simulcast. If the equipment is tested RTE1 HD replaces RTE1 SD.

TV3 has to pay extra for HD. They are broke. Technically insolvent and NEVER paid the full Analogue distribution cost. They have refused to pay the tiny amount for Saorsat and are still contesting the charges for TV3 & 3E on Terrestrial. Don't hold your breath for TV3 HD on terrestrial. They will go HD on Sky when Sky decides to pay the extra cost. Same with UPC.

I'd not be surprised to see TV3 & 3E exit Saorview and be only on UPC and Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

watty wrote: »
    There will be no simulcast. If the equipment is tested RTE1 HD replaces RTE1 SD.

TV3 has to pay extra for HD. They are broke. Technically insolvent and NEVER paid the full Analogue distribution cost. They have refused to pay the tiny amount for Saorsat and are still contesting the charges for TV3 & 3E on Terrestrial. Don't hold your breath for TV3 HD on terrestrial. They will go HD on Sky when Sky decides to pay the extra cost. Same with UPC.

surely their licence would be taken off them if they left saorview. Is it not more likely UTV take them over

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

If RTE1 HD does launch on Mux 2 before Christmas i wonder will we see Mux 2 been switched on more frequently between now and Christmas or will it be switched on say a week or two before channels are moved over?

Do you share the same view as myself that the reason the BAI have not challenged TV3 is because they are afraid of their lives of the bad PR that could come from returning RTÉ to the sole Irish broadcaster and the potential loss of jobs? ... I think TV3 know this and are calling their bluff.

surely their licence would be taken off them if they left saorview. Is it not more likely UTV take them over
    At least suspended anyway and made re-apply as a non terrestrial broadcaster.

They only need the Licence for Saorview in reality!

UTV would be mad to take over that debt. The only useful asset is the the License. Better for UTV to wait for TV3 to close (if there was any sensible Financial regulation and Broadcast regulation they would have been closed ages ago!) or simply separately apply for a licence.

The BAI is desperate to licence a Pay TV operator. Perhaps if they see reality on that issue (it will fail even if someone is stupid enough to do it) they will offer some FTA licences. Actually they did invite expressions of Interest on additional DTT FTA stations, so probably TV3's so called "Licence" is really worthless too.

If they closed and UTV launched you'd see that the TV3 brand is worthless too. After all BEFORE Sky Digital about 75% of households had UTV or ITV from mainland UK using a mix of cable, so called deflectors and off air.

UTV would be mad to take over that debt. The only useful asset is the the License. Better for UTV to wait for TV3 to close (if there was any sensible Financial regulation and Broadcast regulation they would have been closed ages ago!) or simply separately apply for a licence.

The BAI is desperate to licence a Pay TV operator. Perhaps if they see reality on that issue (it will fail even if someone is stupid enough to do it) they will offer some FTA licences. Actually they did invite expressions of Interest on additional DTT FTA stations, so probably TV3's so called "Licence" is really worthless too.

If they closed and UTV launched you'd see that the TV3 brand is worthless too. After all BEFORE Sky Digital about 75% of households had UTV or ITV from mainland UK using a mix of cable, so called deflectors and off air.

their debt is owned by ibrc and currently up for sale. I'm sure utv would have made some sort of enquiry as to how many cent in the euro ibrc want for it.

their debt is owned by ibrc and currently up for sale. I'm sure utv would have made some sort of enquiry as to how many cent in the euro ibrc want for it.
    They could also just come to an agreement for ITV's content on an all-Irish basis meaning they could by-pass any TV3 debt, launch themselves alongside TV3 and in turn wipe them out.

They could also just come to an agreement for ITV's content on an all-Irish basis meaning they could by-pass any TV3 debt, launch themselves alongside TV3 and in turn wipe them out.

Doubt they would be allowed on saorview.

At least suspended anyway and made re-apply as a non terrestrial broadcaster.

They only need to feed Sky (and possibly UPC) from "offshore"* to avoid any Irish licence. I think UPC has to have a content licence for each channel, so probably no TV3 licence needed for them.

Any "production" or advertising sold here is unaffected.

[* May require licence in chosen country, trivial when not broadcasting to that country, i.e. a Swedish station uplinks in UK]

Why not?.. Im sure Saorview would appreciate a company willing to actually pay the carriage fees.

• Advertisement

They only need to feed Sky (and possibly UPC) from "offshore"* to avoid any Irish licence. I think UPC has to have a content licence for each channel, so probably no TV3 licence needed for them.

Any "production" or advertising sold here is unaffected.

[* May require licence in chosen country, trivial when not broadcasting to that country, i.e. a Swedish station uplinks in UK]
    But aren't 101-104 sky epg numbers not put aside for terrestrial broadcasters like the UK?.. So potentially TV3 could loose their prime position if they jumped ship?

Why not?.. Im sure Saorview would appreciate a company willing to actually pay the carriage fees.

saorview is in effect a state owned body. so can you see a situation where a state owned company will allow a non state regulated company screw over a state regulated company while also potentially leaving the state will the loss of the ibrc loans and job losses in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Don't know about that, all they need is a licence and a commitment to some Irish programming (does Belfast count? :rolleyes:) Lets face it the main point of TV3 or UTV is to relay ITV programmes to Ireland North and South. The Saorview carriage fee would be small beer for UTV.

Saorview has to give carriage at same price per Mbps to everyone.

BAI decides if someone gets a licence. It's nothing to do with 2RN the operator formerly known as RTENL at all. ANYONE would be major competition for TV3. If BAI was doing their job they should have already cancelled TV3's licence.

A small number of jobs are involved.

The money is gone. No-one is going to buy TV3 and it's worthless. The debt is parked with IRBC because it's worthless.

The current TV3 situation is ego, and stupidity. There is no point in a Regulator if they don't regulate. Even on content TV3 should have lost the licence (Scam quizzes even on the Morning "magzine" never mind the late night stuff) and lack of real Irish content.

There is TG4 also. They are supposed to be a independent broadcaster. State of TV3, and existence of UPC and Sky (82% of households between them) show how a Pay DTT platform isn't viable in Ireland. If UTV was on Sky Ireland at EPG less than 110 and on UPC they wouldn't much care about DTT.

UTV is likely to lose N.I. DTT to ITV PLC if ITV PLC has its own way. The only faint hope for STV remaining independent is maybe Scottish Independence, all the rest of Mainland UK independent TV is gone.

So UTV has had a strategy of Internet and Local Radio business expansion. Buying TV3 even via tiny cents per Euro on IBRC debt also doesn't sit well with the strategy nor common sense as the Station is worthless.

EPG numbers on Sky in Ireland are in reality up to Sky.

saorview is in effect a state owned body. so can you see a situation where a state owned company will allow a non state regulated company screw over a state regulated company while also potentially leaving the state will the loss of the ibrc loans and job losses in Dublin.
    But UTV have every right to apply for a licence, just because TV3 would be in major trouble if they did they would have nothing technically to do with TV3's financial situation... If anything if they were prevented from launching competition laws would be majorly questioned.

EPG numbers on Sky in Ireland are in reality up to Sky.
    So could UTV potentially launch independent of TV3 with an Irish licence and come to an agreement with sky to buy the 103 epg slot and move TV3 down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 and RTÉ 1 HD by Christmas

Mux 2 is needed for RTE One HD I presume, but other than that, having Mux 2 switched on makes no other difference ? ie no extra channels, RTE One HD will replace RTE One SD , so to the ordinary punter in the street, no other change will be visible ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

So could UTV potentially launch independent of TV3 with an Irish licence and come to an agreement with sky to buy the 103 epg slot and move TV3 down?

I would presume that if TV3 left Saorview and someone else started broadcasting on channel 3 on Saorview, that SKY would then Shift TV3 elsewhere and would give the new channel 103.

However, Sky don't have to do anything they don't want to. They're not regulated in Ireland. It's all about what's best for SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

If there was some way that The BAI could get BBC, UTV and Channel four on a Mux, then after a year or two some form of Pay DTT service might be possible.

Obviously It's highly unlikely that the BBC will ever appear on DTT as they'd need the carriage fees paid for by someone else. However, if those 4 channels where available on DTT, then Pay DTT becomes a lot more possible.

Most people I know only got cable and Satellite because they wanted the British Terrestrial stations. The amount of households that have free sat goes up and up because times are tough. They find that the BBC is still free and they've no reason to resubscribe.

DTT would really take off here with the BBC, UTV and Channel 4 available. Obviously it would take time but eventually you'd have enough households using it to launch a Pay DTT service (probably concentrated on Sport)

That's not to say it would succeed...

• Advertisement

I would presume that if TV3 left Saorview and someone else started broadcasting on channel 3 on Saorview, that SKY would then Shift TV3 elsewhere and would give the new channel 103.

However, Sky don't have to do anything they don't want to. They're not regulated in Ireland. It's all about what's best for SKY.
    But in reality if TV3 lost all ITV live/archive programming the numbers watching would be minuscule... I'm sure sky would prefer UTV on 103 with high viewership rather then TV3 with very little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement