Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If RTE 1HD and RTE 2HD are going to be on mux 1 and on mux 2 there is 1 HD test channel and 2 SD test channels does that mean that either TG4 or TV3 is going to be an HD channel or is it likely that RTE 1HD will be on mux 2 while RTE 2 remains on mux 1

There were 3 HD and 4 SD test channels on Mux2 yesterday but as I and others posted some receivers only stored 1 HD and 2 SD test channels. We don't know how the channels will be split between the 2 Muxes yet or if TG4 will launch their HD channel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunate for quite a few of us that Mux2 is launching as we lose loads of channels from a mux broadcasting from Divis on same frequency with Sky News, Dave, Food Network and other channels. While I have these channels on sky box, it was real handy to have these channels on every tv in the house through the aerial, now their gone only to be replaced by RTE and TV3 channels we already receive just in a slightly higher viewing quality, sad times. I wouldnt mind if Mux 2 offered something new but it doesnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunate for quite a few of us that Mux2 is launching as we lose loads of channels from a mux broadcasting from Divis on same frequency with Sky News, Dave, Food Network and other channels.

Really? I would think all you're going to lose is an annoyingly unreliable 'service', probably more of a pain in the ass to watch than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Kippure Mux2 back on this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Cush wrote: »
    My bad sorry, I forgot about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Getting both Kippure and Three Rock Mux2 at the moment.

Same weird thing as mentioned before, only 11, 16 and 17 appear in the EPG and can be selected by channel up/down. Others can be selected by putting the number in directly. Walker Saorview approved TV.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

On the 3 TVs I mention above test channels are stored on LCN 11, 16 and 17 only, the other test channels on LCNs 12, 13, 14 and 15 are not stored so I cannot see or select them on any of the TVs and they are not available in the epgs. I'm wondering if this is a TV problem or anything to do with the signal transmitted from Mullaghanish?

Update on this - if I manually press the 1 2 buttons on the RC the test channel on LCN 12 is displayed, the same for 13, 14 & 15. The up and down buttons skip these channels and they don't appear in the epg. Very odd?

Mullaghanish tests are back today.

Did a retune on my Walker Saorview PVR earlier, it found all the test channels but for test channels LCN 12-15 and the test radio channels (LCN 211-220) it displayed "(hidden)" after the service name during the retune process. So they are being delibrately hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Clermont Carn Mux2 test back on
    3 HD and 4 SD channels testing
    all is shown OK with me as none are hidden from my TV

Souriau wrote: »
    Clermont Carn Mux2 test back on
    3 HD and 4 SD channels testing
    all is shown OK with me as none are hidden from my TV

Is the TV setup with UK as the country/region?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Is the TV setup with UK as the country/region?
    Yes, UK as I am in NI
    Even a Sony TV which is Saorview approved work on UK setting but I did not change to Ireland and see what it is doing

• Advertisement

Souriau wrote: »
    Yes, UK as I am in NI
    Even a Sony TV which is Saorview approved work on UK setting but I did not change to Ireland and see what it is doing

Just did a UK install on a Sony TV here and all channels appear, no hidden channels or services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Spur Hill Mux 2 all fired up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Mux 2 came in Mount Leinster area and left at about 17:30

I did a UK scan of Mux 1 alone with 19 channels numbered 800-818
    Ch 800 was an unused radio station most likely RTE Choice other radio channels were on 802-806 and 809-813 the TV channels were
    801 3e, 807 RTE NN, 808 RTE 1, 809 RTE 1 +!, 814 RTE 2, 815 RTE jr, 816 SSU, 817 TG4, 818 TV3

I did a full Others scan with 35 channels numbered 1-35 (No SSU channels) and a full UK scan with 37 channels numbered 800-836 with Mux 1 channels 800-815 remaining in position with test radio channels titled Seirbis Thrialach on channels 816-825 and with the TV stations placed as
    826 Seirbhis Thrialach 2, 827 Seirbhis Thrialach 3, 828 Seirbhis Thrialach 5, 829 SSU, 830 SSU, 831 Test Service 1, 832 Test Service 4, 833 Test Service 6, 834 Test Service 7, 835 TG4, 836 TV3

The Irish scan only showed 3 test channels on Mux 2.

I wonder are they doing this to test 'red button' type services that don't appear in the EPG... Like the BBC it might be a way to get around the bureaucracy/politics involved in launching a new channel proper?

Thing is, do they have the content to justify a red button channel?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ninja900 wrote: »
    I wonder are they doing this to test 'red button' type services that don't appear in the EPG... Like the BBC it might be a way to get around the bureaucracy/politics involved in launching a new channel proper?

The DG of RTÉ has suggest in their 5 year plan IPTV channel in association with other companies. So a History channel like Blighty called..... The Blight!

These would appear on Saorview via a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

ninja900 wrote: »

I doubt that they'd have the foresight to do this. However, they do have the content. There's a decent amount of stuff only shown online that could used for a red button service.

Too often the RTE player doesn't work or won't connect. One problem that happens to me and to friends on different service providers is when the ads play, no programme and then ads play again!

Couldn't get to a TV on Saturday for the first 20 or so minutes of the Hurling and I couldn't get a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If RTE 1HD and RTE 2HD are going to be on mux 1 and on mux 2 there is 1 HD test channel and 2 SD test channels does that mean that either TG4 or TV3 is going to be an HD channel or is it likely that RTE 1HD will be on mux 2 while RTE 2 remains on mux 1

The latter. One of the other HD test carriers on the 2nd Mux is for TG4.

^ so they'll duplicate the text stream on both muxes?

I got the digital text to load fine today on the HD Mux2 test channel, it didn't work the other day.

STB wrote: »
    The latter. One of the other HD test carriers on the 2nd Mux is for TG4.

I assume that as a retune is required that if RTÉ ONE goes HD first on Soarview TG4 and TV3 will be removed from Mux 1, and if TG4 goes HD first that it and TV3 will be removed from Mux 1.

Whatever happens a Re-tune is required, most likely RTÉ channels will stay on Mux 1 or move completely to Mux 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Considering that a retune is more than likely, how much notice will they have to give? Shouldn't they have started to "advertise" this already? (if it's going to happen before Christmas) :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Why would they advertise a simple retune possibly 2 months or more in advance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They never advertised the retune for 3Rock when they went from 54 to 30. Why would they convenience the viewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Why would they advertise a simple retune possibly 2 months or more in advance?
    Well retunes in the UK have always been notified well in advance.
    What do you suggest.........the day before? People here are always complaining that viewers are not given enough notice of changes. It takes a period of time for a message to "sink in" with the public.

What is worse it was suggested at one stage that no retune would ever be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think a launch date would be needed before a retune notice would be sent out. I suspect no-one knows the actual launch date except hopefully by x-mas if everything comes together.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

MUX 2 from Maghera now switched off. Was on all day.

This from 2RN/RTÉNL
    SAORVIEW is preparing to improve. To facilitate this, a second SAORVIEW multiplex will be brought on-air from October 21st. All SAORVIEW viewers nationwide will have to re-scan their SAORVIEW TV’s and set-top boxes from October 21st 2013 to receive this additional multiplex.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SAORVIEW-Rescan-2013.pdf
    http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SAORVIEW-Rescan-2013-Installers.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I wonder what channels will be on it? I know RTE ONE HD should be on it before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only possible extra channel is eventually Oireachtas TV.
    http://www.saortv.info/2013/10/07/saorview-retune-on-21st-october-2013/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement