Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so this means you wont be able to watch one channel and record another like you could when they were all on the one mux?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Cush wrote: »

Why does the Press Release only mention Donegal, Clare and Cork needing a rescan?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why does the Press Release only mention Donegal, Clare and Cork needing a rescan?

... because they are the transmitters that are changing channel. The second mux will be blank or test only until launch. If you rescan, then your Saorview box will reassign channels by LCN and will miraculously have the new channels in the right order after launch. The rest of us will have to sort out the muddle ourselves. [I think].

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭tlaavtech

Anyone know why are those Mux's moving? Is there an interference issue? Would have thought that the East coast stuff would move to avoid UK Mux's, but not west coast. Donegal maybe (NI Mux's?) but not Clare and Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Only Enistymon and Leap are changing channel for both muxes. The other three are changing Mux1 freq to Mux2, presumably to make Mux1 the first one found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The other three are changing Mux1 freq to Mux2, presumably to make Mux1 the first one found.

Except for Clonmany Donegal where Mux 1 will be on Ch.53 and Mux 2 will be on the old Mux 1 Ch.49.

The Saorview coverage checker has also been updated with the new frequencies - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

irishfeen wrote: »
    So can we expect RTÉ One HD and TG4 HD to launch soon after I wonder?
    I wonder what channels will be on it? I know RTE ONE HD should be on it before xmas.

During the Mux2 tests all but 3 channels were hidden - 1 HD and 2 SD, I wonder if RTÉ1 HD will launch there and maybe 2 other channels move over from Mux1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

During the Mux2 tests all but 3 channels were hidden - 1 HD and 2 SD, I wonder if RTÉ1 HD will launch there and maybe 2 other channels move over from Mux1?
    But would it be financially viable to fire up MUX2 basically just for RTÉ One HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Maybe if TGH4 HD launches on mux 2 RTE might decide to extend the hours of RTE ONE +1 by moving it to mux 2. So we would have RTE ONE HD, TG4 HD and just a guess RTE ONE+1 with extended hours. That would make it worth while for mux 2 to go full time.

But would it be financially viable to fire up MUX2 basically just for RTÉ One HD?

Maybe not but they were required to make RTÉ 1 HD available by mid 2013 as per the Feb 2011 Ministerial Decision on the new channels and this can only be done with Mux2.

• Advertisement

Maybe not but they were required to make RTÉ 1 HD available by mid 2013 as per the Feb 2011 Ministerial Decision on the new channels and this can only be done with Mux2.
    And I presume that it will have to be made available on all platforms (sky, UPC) like RTÉ Two HD?

Maybe if TGH4 HD launches on mux 2 RTE might decide to extend the hours of RTE ONE +1 by moving it to mux 2. So we would have RTE ONE HD, TG4 HD and just a guess RTE ONE+1 with extended hours. That would make it worth while for mux 2 to go full time.

My thinking is TG4 HD won't launch because one of the hidden channels carried the language code "IRI" (Irish) which is used for TG4.

My thinking is TG4 HD won't launch because one of the hidden channels carried the language code "IRI" (Irish) which is used for TG4.
    But realistically there is no reason why TG4 would not want to launch the HD channel... unless of course the did a Setanta Sports on it and have done a deal with UPC ... (would that be possible with a PSB?)

And I presume that it will have to be made available on all platforms (sky, UPC) like RTÉ Two HD?

The "must offer/must carry" requirement as per the Broadcasting Act. Applicable to Irish carriers like UPC but not Sky.

But realistically there is no reason why TG4 would not want to launch the HD channel...

Except the increased tariff maybe?

Except the increased tariff maybe?
    Aren't the tariff's actually relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things though?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I wonder will mux 2 be fired up for tests before the 21st October and if so will all test channels reappear or just the three tests we had last week.If the HD test on channel 14 appears the chances are TG4 HD might launch but if it's only the three tests that appear i guess you will most likely be right that it won't launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This from 2RN/RTÉNL
    All SAORVIEW viewers nationwide will have to re-scan their SAORVIEW TV’s and set-top boxes from October 21st 2013 to receive this additional multiplex.

My Walker PVR automatically put the Mux2 tests into the EPG and then automatically removed them when the tests ended. Did anyone else experience this?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Only Enistymon and Leap are changing channel for both muxes. The other three are changing Mux1 freq to Mux2, presumably to make Mux1 the first one found.

It doesn't matter what order the muxes are 'found' in.

I would think the channel allocations used at these sites up until now were dictated by the transmission equipment available at the time of switchover. Those mux. 2 frequencies have been in the Comreg technical parameters, at least since 16th October 2012.

What is the date of the budget?

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    My Walker PVR automatically put the Mux2 tests into the EPG and then automatically removed them when the tests ended. Did anyone else experience this?

Same here, but a couple of non-Saorview TV didn't.

What is the date of the budget?

Tuesday 15 October

Tuesday 15 October
    Oireachtas TV could be announced as the first step to "Oireachtas Reform" after last Fridays result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Don't expect much from RTE1 HD when it launches, if RTE2 HD is anything to go by. Can someone explain to me, why one of the biggest US series for years - Homeland, is not being shown in HD ? CH4 can show it HD, but oh no, not our boys for some reason.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what order the muxes are 'found' in.

That's correct, the channels are stored as per the LCN allocated to them.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Don't expect much from RTE1 HD when it launches, if RTE2 HD is anything to go by. Can someone explain to me, why one of the biggest US series for years - Homeland, is not being shown in HD ? CH4 can show it HD, but oh no, not our boys for some reason.
    I'm nearly positive in the new ads for Homeland they say "... and RTÉ Two HD" but your right it is a mystery to me that films and other programmes don't be shown in HD... does it cost more to obtain HD versions of shows/films rather then SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm nearly positive in the new ads for Homeland they say "... and RTÉ Two HD" but your right it is a mystery to me that films and other programmes don't be shown in HD... does it cost more to obtain HD versions of shows/films rather then SD?

In every TV guide I've looked at, it's not marked as being in HD, on the SKY Epg , it's not marked as HD either and I saw last weeks opening episode and it definitely looked up scaled and not HD . Will probably switch to watching it on CH4 now and RTE wonder why they are losing viewers.

So the budget is on the 15th and the second mux gets fired up the following Monday. Hmmmm - could OTV be in the budget?

The cost of firing up a mux could not be significant. RTE were running two analogue channels and 1 mux. Plus they had Mt Leinster of full power on FOUR muxes for ages and ages. Obviously they have a special deal with the ESB.

galtee boy wrote: »
    In every TV guide I've looked at, it's not marked as being in HD, on the SKY Epg , it's not marked as HD either and I saw last weeks opening episode and it definitely looked up scaled and not HD . Will probably switch to watching it on CH4 now and RTE wonder why they are losing viewers.
    It was broadcast in HD last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NQiJP-T18 so I presume its the same this year.

• Advertisement

So the budget is on the 15th and the second mux gets fired up the following Monday. Hmmmm - could OTV be in the budget?

The cost of firing up a mux could not be significant. RTE were running two analogue channels and 1 mux. Plus they had Mt Leinster of full power on FOUR muxes for ages and ages. Obviously they have a special deal with the ESB.
    We will surly have a fair idea as some sort of testing will surly have to take place before broadcasting any channel on Saorview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement