Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Kippure 2 on this afternoon (58)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Kippure 2 on this afternoon (58)
    Maghera is now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Maghera is now on.
    Running TG4 HD tests again?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

the hidden channels from Three Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Clermont Carn also up and running, just test cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

All I can see from Maghera is test cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

The Cush wrote: »
    I reset a Sony TV to UK last week and all channels were visible, restored it to Ireland and the channel were hidden again - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86841332&postcount=1002.

Maybe the new Mux 2 channels will launch on these hidden LCNs/channels and will be tested there prior to launch, away from the view of the general public as reported today with TG4 on LCN 14.

Is this just with the TV set to Ireland and also an auto scan done? I have a Sony set to Ireland (EX 524 series, Saorview approved) and did a manual scan on UHF ch 56 (Clermont Carn) where 7 test channels (3 HD, 4 SD) were available. Stored them in the spare channels after my UK Freeview stations. Would a manual scan ignore the hidden LCN issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So 6 test channels (3HD) coming from Maghera (I think)... just out of curiosity why do they have so many when at most only two channels will probably launch? ... Just flicked off there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Maghera is gone off air.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

It looks like the date of the mux 2 launch is put back all references to the 21st of october seem to be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Would a manual scan ignore the hidden LCN issue?

Done a full auto scan and manual tune, made no difference. A Walker PVR describes them as hidden during a retune.

It looks like the date of the mux 2 launch is put back all references to the 21st of october seem to be gone

Still there in the list of Saorview Frequencies - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I wonder is mux 2 still on schedule for launch next Monday as no testing took place on Friday or today. Gone a bit quiet. I know the tests would only come on for short periods of time over the last few months but i thought there might be some testing today with only a week to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

4 of the test LCNs/channels do not appear in the epg and are skipped as you use the up or down button. I presume they are tagged not to be seen normally.

Starting at LCN 8 (RTÉ1+1) -> LCN 11 -> LCN 16 -> LCN 17 can be viewed normally.

LCNs 12, 13, 14 and 15 can only be viewed by pressing buttons 1 2, 1 3 etc. - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86807955#post86807955

When tuning in a Walker PVR last week the hidden LCNs had (hidden) after the channel name during the tuning process - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86839576&postcount=998 .

I reset a Sony TV to UK last week and all channels were visible, restored it to Ireland and the channel were hidden again - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86841332&postcount=1002.

Maybe the new Mux 2 channels will launch on these hidden LCNs/channels and will be tested there prior to launch, away from the view of the general public as reported today with TG4 on LCN 14.

I use a Linux box. No channels are hidden. You cannot hide programme channels. They appear as the legitimate transport streams on the Mux in a Scan.

Some of them may not have had MHEG or standard epg data linked to them. That does not stop them from being viewed Cush. Also Logical Channel Numbering is irrelevant when you have a handful (or 2) of stations on 1 or 2 Muxes. Most TV's allow for renumbering in any event. With UK Country setting programmed IDTVs these would automatically be placed in the 800's. Just sayin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

So any updates on the launch... everything seemed ready to go?

STB wrote: »
    I use a Linux box. No channels are hidden. You cannot hide programme channels. They appear as the legitimate transport streams on the Mux in a Scan.

Some of them may not have had MHEG or standard epg data linked to them. That does not stop them from being viewed Cush. Also Logical Channel Numbering is irrelevant when you have a handful (or 2) of stations on 1 or 2 Muxes. Most TV's allow for renumbering in any event. With UK Country setting programmed IDTVs these would automatically be placed in the 800's. Just sayin :)

I'm not saying the transport streams are hidden or the channels cannot be viewed but the Saorview Walker PVR describes the channels on LCNs 12, 13, 14 and 15 as "hidden" during a retune and also LCN 207 which carried RTÉ Choice previously. The channels can be viewed by selecting the correct channel nos. but are skipped if you scroll up or down the channel list on all the receivers I have, both Saorview and non-Saorview, when set to Ireland. When set to UK the channels are all viewable normally but stored in the 800s as expected.

The question is why are these 4 test channels being hidden from normal view and not available in the epg and the other 3 are?
    Why is this happening my and other posters' receivers and not your Linux box?

marclt wrote: »
    So any updates on the launch... everything seemed ready to go?

Nothing and with a week remaining the rescan information hasn't been restored to the 2RN website.

Also no radio/TV announcements or Aertel p169 info as there was when Three Rock changed frequency in July 2012.

Nothing and with a week remaining the rescan information hasn't been restored to the 2RN website.

Also no radio/TV announcements or Aertel p169 info as there was when Three Rock changed frequency in July 2012.

The URL links to the documents you provided in post #1018 are still opening the relevant PDF's though. Haven't been removed entirely it seems.

Haven't been removed entirely it seems.

For anyone that has knowledge of the links but for someone going to the 2RN site to find the rescan info there's nothing there. As with a lot of RTÉNL/2RN stuff the links may be gone from public view but the documents remain on a server somewhere (if you know the URL).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

I get signal from Truskmore Sligo. Had test cards last week on and off on Channel 57. None now but when I go to manual running and type in 57 it detects a strong signal but scans in no channels.

Also has anyone else noticed RTÉ One has lost the logo on the top right hand corner? Is this something to do with rescan next Monday?

• Advertisement

Also has anyone else noticed RTÉ One has lost the logo on the top right hand corner? Is this something to do with rescan next Monday?

Discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87007357#post87007357

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Just rang the helpline on aertel page 169.
    The gentleman I spoke to said there no new channels comming but we will need to retune or tv's after 3pm Monday 21st as the channels are changing frequencies

I get signal from Truskmore Sligo. Had test cards last week on and off on Channel 57. None now but when I go to manual running and type in 57 it detects a strong signal but scans in no channels.

Same here for Mullaghanish today.

The gentleman I spoke to said there no new channels comming but we will need to retune or tv's after 3pm Monday 21st as the channels are changing frequencies

And still no public announcement other than the discussion here.

Some of the existing channels moving from Mux1 to Mux2 maybe, in preparation for the launch of RTÉ1 HD closer to Christmas as discussed earlier?

Aertel p169 now updated with retune information
    RTÉNL advisory: Saorview

Saorview viewers in certain areas will need to rescan their TVs or Set-Top-Boxes on Monday, October 21st to avoid losing service.

If you receive Saorview from one of the following local transmitters you must carry out this rescan of your equipment on Monday, October 21st after 3pm to continue to view SAORVIEW in these areas.

Clonmany, Co Donegal
    Ennistymon, Co Clare
    Leap, Co Cork
    Rosscarbery, Co Cork &
    Timoleague, Co Cork.

For further assistance please see www.saorview.ie/help/support or
    LoCall 1890 222 012.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html

"If you receive Saorview from one of the following local transmitters you must carry out this rescan of your equipment on Monday, October 21st after 3pm to continue to view SAORVIEW in these areas" - looks like Mux2 isn't launching next Monday as the retune is only required at the sites above where Mux1 is changing frequency.

The previous 2RN information required all Saorview viewers to retune next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Some of the existing channels moving from Mux1 to Mux2 maybe, in preparation for the launch of RTÉ1 HD closer to Christmas as discussed earlier?

No doubt we'll probably get duplicates for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Aertel p169 now updated with retune information

No mention of the new UHF channels for those places but I assume the installer retune info is still correct:

Clonmany Donegal: Mux1 from Ch 49 to Ch 53. Mux 2 will be 49
    Ennistymon Clare: Mux 1 from 58 to 52. Mux 2 will be 56
    Leap Cork: Mux1 from 44 to 46. Mux 2 will be 48
    Rosscarbery Cork Mux1 from 57 to 53. Mux 2 will be 57
    Timoleague Cork Mux1 from 29 to 26. Mux 2 will be 29

That's all that will be happening on that date I'd guess TC. Looking at those removed PDF sheets again, it does say "from October 21st" which could be interpreted as any date thereafter for a national launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

No, it looks like nothing will happen apart from the retunes at the transmitters that were added to the network at the last minute before ASO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I had a look at a couple of different sites on the saorview.ie coverage checker and they are all showing MUX 2 from the 21st. Three Rock attached.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement