Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I had a look at a couple of different sites on the saorview.ie coverage checker and they are all showing MUX 2 from the 21st. Three Rock attached.

That information has been there since about the 7th when the retune information was posted on the 2RN site.

But a few days later the retune information was removed, yesterday one of the lads here received an email stating no new channels were launching and the latest retune information only requires viewers receiving Saorview from a few smaller relays to retune.

Of course none of that means it won't be switched on next Monday with no channels and maybe any channel moves happening in the weeks ahead but it would be a costly exercise to run a second empty mux from 64 sites. We'll know in a few days I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

U would think that they wouldnt have put up any retune information in the first place on the website if they where not ready to launch it it seems contracts have not been signed the whole dtt has been dragged out for years it must be the most tested multiplex in europe ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Things are very quiet again today regarding mux 2. If it's going to be switched on Monday you would think it would be switched back on for a few hours each day leading up to the big switch on. Just wondering does mux 3 exist or does this have to be added to the DTT network.?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Clermont Carn Mux 2 c56 up and running now
    I have snapshot taken and see the results on TSReader thread.

Souriau wrote: »
    Clermont Carn Mux 2 c56 up and running now
    I have snapshot taken and see on TSReader
    Has it just been switched on?

• Advertisement

it is live now from Clermont Carn transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 closer1234

confirmed aswell-claremont carn however, theres no descriptions for the channels eg test channel 1, test channel 2 etc , seems to have been cleared.

closer1234 wrote: »
    confirmed aswell-claremont carn however, theres no descriptions for the channels eg test channel 1, test channel 2 etc , seems to have been cleared.
    Have test channels 12.13,and 14 and the test radio labels been added back to the epg? Or are they still hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 closer1234

my rte 1 is now on 812 and rte jr on 813 dunno whats going on now.

mux 2 now off air!

closer1234 wrote: »
    my rte 1 is now on 812 and rte jr on 813 dunno whats going on now.

mux 2 now off air!
    It is off air from Clermont Carn

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the reply.

Mux2 is on from Mullaghanish but no test channels.

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux2 is on from Mullaghanish but no test channels.
    Not fired up from Maghera yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Nothing on truskmore today.

Just wondering does mux 3 exist or does this have to be added to the DTT network.?

Nothing has changed since you posted this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81217953&postcount=2009

No point in having a third mux if you can't fill the second mux.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Just wondering does mux 3 exist or does this have to be added to the DTT network.?

Probably 'exists' in the sense that there might be idle transmission equipment that could handle it: see how the sites due for a retune on Monday have got along for the past year.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Probably 'exists' in the sense that there might be idle transmission equipment that could handle it

13 or so transmitters were upgraded for a 4 mux commercial DTT service from 2008 but this was halted when Boxer withdrew from the process in early 2009. Most likely as the prospect of commercial DTT declined that extra equipment probably got moved to the other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

sorry to noob up your thread but how can i check if my local transmitter is broadcasting mux2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

13 or so transmitters were upgraded for a 4 mux commercial DTT service from 2008 but this was halted when Boxer withdrew from the process in early 2009. Most likely as the prospect of commercial DTT declined that extra equipment probably got moved to the other sites.

I heard from a non RTE source (a rigger) that a few years ago one transmitter from the main sites were sold quietly as they reckoned they would never be needed.

Apparetly the main sites operate on an N+1 setup so for a 4 Mux setup they have 4+1=5 transmitters. So they now should have 3+1=4 so the equipment should be in place for a third mux and a backup transmitter, on at least the main sites.

donegal. wrote: »
    how can i check if my local transmitter is broadcasting mux2 ?
    When Mux 2 is transmitting a number of testcards will be stored from position 11 upwards following an autoscan/retune.

Use the coverage checker to find your local transmitter and mux1 & 2 frequencies if you don't know them already - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Not sure if this relates to MUX 2 to but RTE are advising of a re tune soon

"Dear Saorview retailer,
    SAORVIEW is preparing to improve. To get ready for this all SAORVIEW viewers nationwide will have to re-scan their SAORVIEW TVs and set-top boxes from October 21st 2013."

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Not sure if this relates to MUX 2 to but RTE are advising of a re tune soon

"Dear Saorview retailer,
    SAORVIEW is preparing to improve. To get ready for this all SAORVIEW viewers nationwide will have to re-scan their SAORVIEW TVs and set-top boxes from October 21st 2013."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86903958#post86903958

When did you get the notice, in the last few day they are now only advising a retune at certain small relays - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87025550&postcount=1136

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

And so the plot thickens!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Mail arrived at 19.41 this evening

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86903958#post86903958

When did you get the notice, in the last few day they are now only advising a retune at certain small relays - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87025550&postcount=1136

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Mail arrived at 19.41 this evening
    marclt wrote: »
    And so the plot thickens!!!

I give up, I've no idea what they're at. The question is do they? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭marclt

Well Ideally, you'd just want a single retune next week. RTE1 HD and TG4 HD to come on air with some dual running of SD, with anyone retuning next week getting the HD channels where the SD ones were.

And some on screen messages on the existing SD channels telling people to retune, if they haven't got the message already. (and how would they at this rate!).

AND please some MHEG screens on the radio channels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I wonder what info has actually been given out to those that have to do a retune on Monday covered by the affected relays? Local papers, onscreen messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Will Goodbody the Science & Tech Correspondent @ RTE has tweeted technical improvements mean Saorview viewers nationwide need to carry out a re scan on october 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

brick man wrote: »
    Will Goodbody the Science & Tech Correspondent @ RTE has tweeted technical improvements mean Saorview viewers nationwide need to carry out a re scan on october 21st

He actually says on or after

"Technical improvements mean SAORVIEW viewers nationwide need to carry out a re-scan of their tv or set-top box on or after October 21st"

• Advertisement

Will Goodbody says "nationwide"
    Will Goodbody‏@willgoodbody

Technical improvements mean SAORVIEW viewers nationwide need to carry out a re-scan of their tv or set-top box on or after October 21st

https://twitter.com/willgoodbody/status/390859994679500800

Aertel says "certain areas"
    Saorview viewers in certain areas will need to rescan their TVs or Set-Top-Boxes on Monday, October 21st to avoid losing service.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html

2RN, Saorview and Tommy & PJ says

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement