Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Will Goodbody says "nationwide"
    Quote:
    Will Goodbody‏@willgoodbody

Technical improvements mean SAORVIEW viewers nationwide need to carry out a re-scan of their tv or set-top box on or after October 21st

https://twitter.com/willgoodbody/sta...59994679500800
    Aertel says "certain areas"
    Quote:
    Saorview viewers in certain areas will need to rescan their TVs or Set-Top-Boxes on Monday, October 21st to avoid losing service.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-2.html
    2RN says
    Quote:

This just proves the way they treat Saorview is poor . What I can never understand is whats the big secret, they should be promoting it a lot better given the amount of money they invested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Most Saorview approved products tend to adjust themselves according to the signals they get. There don't seem to have to put out an advanced announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I must disagree, Saorview boxes do not auto update as this is not the first time a re scan has been required by RTE.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Most Saorview approved products tend to adjust themselves according to the signals they get.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Proving yet again for a company who's business is communications, they are useless at PR.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

leave RTE alone

they are about 20 years behind the the rest of europe with saorview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

MUX 2 from Maghera fired-up at the moment. 3 HDTV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Clermont Carn Mux 2 c56 back on air with test card and radio audio on some channels

• Registered Users Posts: 8 closer1234

test channel 7 has a placeholder saying rtejr returns at 7am!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Three SD cards down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

test channel 18 saying no video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What a pity they seem to be sticking with 1440 HD(ish) given the amount of spare capacity on Mux 2

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

peking97 wrote: »
    MUX 2 from Maghera fired-up at the moment. 3 HDTV channels.

Add to that Cairn Hill ch 44, Truskmore on 57 and Kilduff on 56

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did a retune on Mullaghanish, some changes from the previous testing.
    - No channel on LCN 16
    - Test channel on LCN 18
    - Video on LCN 13 doen't appear or is jittery on some TVs, Lyric FM audio only.
    - LCNs 12-15 "hidden" as before

Can posters here check LCN 13?

A 5+ year old Sony (V4500) isn't displaying any video for this channel, audio only. A later model Sony (W5810) displays a slightly jittery testcard. This happened on 2 Mux 2 test channels during the summer IIRC (posted about it here previously) where video eventually appeared after 20-40 secs. On this occasion the video doesn't appear. Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Three rock and Kippure have mux 2 testcards

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How are the hidden channels revealed?

mike65 wrote: »
    How are the hidden channels revealed?

Simply be entering the channel no. 1 + 2 for test channel 12, 1+3 for test channel 13 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 closer1234

test channel 3 had a still image from rtejr for a few secs, back to normal now

closer1234 wrote: »
    test channel 3 had a still image from rtejr for a few secs, back to normal now

MHEG-5 caption.

Yes, that would explain the problem. The Sony V4500 doesn't load MHEG-5 for the Saorview channels. Odd that the other TVs displayed the testcard on LCN13.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭lgs 4

With all the HD testing no Dolby Digital Sound or did any one notice

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Tonabrucky ch 23 also testing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Finding 18 channels on ch 56 from CC but no or blank ID's for them. No "Test Service 1" etc. Plus this is the latest time of the day I've ever seen them still on. Something happening next week after all I wonder...?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

... Plus this is the latest time of the day I've ever seen them still on.
    Yeah Maghera still on too. Possibly on soak test over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

The engineers are up late tonight. The channels that appeared were 11,17 and 18 and these and the hidden channels were
    11=2RN disc test card=buzzing sound
    12=2RN Ath Cliath Ardghleine test card=clapping sound
    13=2RN timed disc test card=Lyric FM
    14=2RN bars test card=buzzing sound
    15=2RN timed disc test card=RnG (Raidio na Gaeltachta)
    17=2RN b&w test card=silent
    18=2RN timed disc test card=buzzing sound
    19=Radio=silent
    20=Radio=silent
    21=Radio=Lyric FM
    22=Radio=RnG
    23=Radio=silent
    24=Radio=silent
    25=Radio=silent
    26=Radio=RTÉ Gold
    27=Radio=RTÉ Gold
    28=Radio=silent

Apologies about using description for the test cards due to not knowing their official names
    Also I wonder when the tests will finish

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

3 test cards on Channel 57 from truskmore epg 11, 17 and 18. One is HD. Probably for rte two as they apparently just separating The channels over 53 and 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

3HD channels.
    11, 12 & 14 @ [SIZE=-1]H.264 Video: Resolution 1440 x 1080 Interlaced: 1

4SD channels
    13, 15, 17 & 18 @ [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]H.264 Video: Resolution 544 x 576 Interlaced: 1[/SIZE]

1 update channel
    Program Number: 250/2100 SSU

Channel 11, 17 & 18 are also transmitting MHEG-5 RTE digital teletext

Thanks to Souriau for emailing me the Mux 1 & 2 transport stream data.

The "hidden" channels on Mux2 are missing the following Program Map Table data which appears to prevent them being viewed normally and stored in the epg
    Stream Type: 0x0b ISO/IEC 13818-6 type B PID 1002 (0x03ea)
    Descriptor: Stream Identifier Descriptor
    Descriptor: Defined in ISO/IEC 13818-6 Descriptor
    Descriptor: Data Broadcast ID Descriptor

All the other channels including RTÉjr and RTÉ1 +1, even when off-air, transmit that piece of data which allows them to be stored in the epg and accessed normally. Even the SSU "channel" streams include the data which allows them on some receivers to be stored as an LCN at 249 & 250.

3 test cards on Channel 57 from truskmore epg 11, 17 and 18. One is HD. Probably for rte two as they apparently just separating The channels over 53 and 57.

Maybe finally complying with two of the conditions of the Ministerial Decision from 2011
    1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;

4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1
    September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second
    multiplex;

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

Here's what happened when I did a full rescan on a 2010 Philips 42PFL840H, using the UK profile.

The Irish profile stored just over 70 channels from Three Rock, Kippure and Greystones with no channel names or numbering.

The UK profile seems to work better, stores the strongest reception (Three Rock).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2879160/aerials/Saorview%20ThreeRock.pdf

I'm very confused as to what is taking RTE/NL so long broadcast all four main stations in HD. Seems to me there is nothing stopping them starting from monday.

joceadaigh wrote: »
    Here's what happened when I did a full rescan on a 2010 Philips 42PFL840H, using the UK profile.

The Irish profile stored just over 70 channels from Three Rock, Kippure and Greystones with no channel names or numbering.

The UK profile seems to work better, stores the strongest reception (Three Rock).

Are you sure it's not the other way around? Any TV I've tuned will only store the channels from the transmitter with the strongest signal and hasn't stored duplicate channels from other transmitters using the Ireland setting.

Link not working
    I'm very confused as to what is taking RTE/NL so long broadcast all four main stations in HD. Seems to me there is nothing stopping them starting from monday.

Nothing to do with RTÉNL. It's up to the broadcasters to provide their channels in HD to RTÉNL for transmission and to pay for the extra bitrates required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Cush wrote: »
    Thanks to Souriau for emailing me the Mux 1 & 2 transport stream data.

The "hidden" channels on Mux2 are missing the following Program Map Table data which appears to prevent them being viewed normally and stored in the epg

This is what I was trying to get at a few pages back in this thread.

There are no hidden TV programme channels. There are TV channels without event information. Channels without EIT data does not stop the channel from being displayed eitherway. It will just have a blank epg area. The is a hidden data channel. Some TV's will actually display this as SSU. MHEG carousel is not linked on Mux 2 from what I can see.

Currently there are 3 channels with event information, 2 SD and 1 HD. The other 4 don't even have channel broadcast names assigned to them.

The sooner the better this retune to faciltate RTE One HD the better! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement