Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastering

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm looking for someone to master 1 tune for me, for free, i would like to c if there would b any difference as to how i have it mastered. I feel there is something missing from my tunes, some kind of QUALITY sound or something ?????? or maby i'm just to hard on myself.
    I use my laptop soundcard, i make my tunes with ableton i record them 192000bit rate 24 bit depth i'v tried to master with waveshell. I have got good responce but still feel there is something missing. Can anyone help me please!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

In fairness mastering wont turn a badly mixed track into a good song,its merely icing on a cake
    Id bet that if your not happy with the sound of your tracks its more to do with the mixdown,not the mastering

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

I'll do it. PM me and we can sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

seannash wrote: »
    In fairness mastering wont turn a badly mixed track into a good song,its merely icing on a cake
    Id bet that if your not happy with the sound of your tracks its more to do with the mixdown,not the mastering

Thanks for that but whats MIXDOWN?
    I feel its pretty well mixed but i need an expert.
    Its the mastering finish i need to hear (so i can compare). I have rendered it to 192000bit rate and 32bit depth its closer to what i was looking for, just need that icing on the cake now.

I'll do it. PM me and we can sort it.
    Thanks radiosurfer

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

steloide wrote: »
    Thanks for that but whats MIXDOWN?
    I feel its pretty well mixed but i need an expert.
    Its the mastering finish i need to hear (so i can compare). I have rendered it to 192000bit rate and 32bit depth its closer to what i was looking for, just need that icing on the cake now.
    Mixdown is the mixing,or final mix(eq,panning,reverb,compression on different elements,volume etc)
    Much better results can be gotten with an improved mixdown than mastering

But you seem to know what you want so hopefully radiosurfer can sort you out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

seannash wrote: »
    Mixdown is the mixing,or final mix(eq,panning,reverb,compression on different elements,volume etc)
    Much better results can be gotten with an improved mixdown than mastering

But you seem to know what you want so hopefully radiosurfer can sort you out

There is quite a bit you can do after the mixdown (panning, effects, etc). Like convoluted multi band stuff, to bring everything up. I think having an order to do things is important. Like you complete your mixdown. Leave it for a couple of days then come back with the intention of getting a polished sounding master - or trying different things to make it sound like everything sits better - if something isn't sitting well - like a hi-hat or a sound, you might have to go back and fix it in the original mix. It's probably only with practice you get a sense of what's really wrong with something.

I don't really know what the magic in a good master is. Everything just sounds like it sits well. But some tracks that sound incredibly slick when you're giving them a casual listen, once you start listening carefully you can hear all the sloppiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Stick the tune up on Soundcloud and we'll tell you what it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Thanks, I think krd has some good views. I'v spent a good while listening, adding, taking away and adding again. Radiosurfer has kindly offered to master it for me and i'm hope it will make it flow better?? He does this for a living and his input and advise is gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Something I've just stumbled on The Sumo

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/sumo.htm

When do you use something like the Sumo - it shoots things straight into the red. I've tried it out on some stuff and it really makes things loud.

The labels on the dials are in cod Japanese - there's no explanation what any of them do.

sumo.gif

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    Something I've just stumbled on The Sumo

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/sumo.htm

When do you use something like the Sumo - it shoots things straight into the red. I've tried it out on some stuff and it really makes things loud.

The labels on the dials are in cod Japanese - there's no explanation what any of them do.

sumo.gif
    Thats crazy and a fun plugin. Good site thanks.

Advertisement