Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is .270 Ammunition Hard To Come By ?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Am hoping to get my Hcap out of the way before the next deer season and am looking at getting a .270 or .308 and I have 2 questions ?

1./ Is .270 ammunition easy to come by ? I know theres not as much choice in .270 ammo as there is in .308 but can the .270 be gotten fairly easily ?

2./ Is the .270 round going to be around for years to come or is it something that has a chance of dying off in popularity (and thus making it harder to get) in favour of the old reliable .308 ?

Am very interested in getting your opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads,
    Am hoping to get my Hcap out of the way before the next deer season and am looking at getting a .270 or .308 and I have 2 questions ?

1./ Is .270 ammunition easy to come by ? I know theres not as much choice in .270 ammo as there is in .308 but can the .270 be gotten fairly easily ?

2./ Is the .270 round going to be around for years to come or is it something that has a chance of dying off in popularity (and thus making it harder to get) in favour of the old reliable .308 ?

To be honest, both calibre are as common as muck
    Not seen a dealers yet that did not carry at least 3 brands of each calibre min.
    Too many people like .270 for it to die out.

Both Calibres will drop all Irish deer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Thanks for the quick reply Tack, hope your not in work ????:D

Thanks for the quick reply Tack, hope your not in work ????:D

Working on a college project on my day off! :(

What ever you buy, 2 words

Hornady
    SuperFormance

They are Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Lads,

Plenty of both calibres out there, been around for a long time and will be a
    around for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Hornady
    SuperFormance

You must be psychic Tack, my next question was what brand would you recommend !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

While there are several brands of both cals available for me, there would not be anything to decide, personally Id always go with a .308 (bias as ive never owned a .270) because there is a far greater selection of rifles chambered in .308 than there are in .270.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

270 is definitely much easier to obtain than 30-06.
    Hornady
    SuperFormance
    They are Awesome!

You should see how this stuff flies in 30-06! Will have to bring some back for deer season.

FISMA wrote: »
    270 is definitely much easier to obtain than 30-06.

You should see how this stuff flies in 30-06! Will have to bring some back for deer season.

I owe you a fallow!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Lads,

Both willl always be around dont worry about that, also both are super from my experience, I went 308, but am too new to it to really give definative answers, from what I know 270 is also a great round. A lot of respected, experienced hunters on this site recomended both calibres. Looking back if it JUST for stalking nothing else, then possibley 270 if ur interested in a excellent stalking calibre and also plinking and messing about then 308. Both will drop a T rex with correct bullet placment. Both will ley a rabbit run away with poor shot placment. Good luck and dont let the worry that one or other wont be around. Every gun shop in the land will have 270 and 308 as long as we will live and I bet a hel of a lot longer as well.:)

Advertisement