Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a story all about how...

Options
  • 22-03-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

....our letting agent kept part of our deposit.

Here is the story.

We were due to move out at the end of a month which we did. When handing back the keys, the letting agent said that it wasn't clean enough and gave us till the end of the week to clean it, which we did. We were sure that to our knowledge, the house was as clean as it was when we moved in.

A few weeks after we moved out, we tried to get the deposit back and only now have they coughed it up - minus 300 euro for cleaning.

It says in our lease that the house must be as we found it when we leave.

My question is:

Are they stealing my money?

Push

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Should not have let go of the keys until the deposit was back in your hand.

Tell them you want all your deposit or proof of what was not cleaned.

Hound them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tuckermax

dont let them get away with it. same thing happened me few years ago and i kept hounding them until they gave in. there just looking for an excuse to keep your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

Do you think?

They claim they can post me a reciept for the cleaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

....our letting agent kept part of our deposit.

Here is the story.

We were due to move out at the end of a month which we did. When handing back the keys, the letting agent said that it wasn't clean enough and gave us till the end of the week to clean it, which we did. We were sure that to our knowledge, the house was as clean as it was when we moved in.

A few weeks after we moved out, we tried to get the deposit back and only now have they coughed it up - minus 300 euro for cleaning.

It says in our lease that the house must be as we found it when we leave.

My question is:

Are they stealing my money?

Push

It's time this crap has to stop happening, report them to the PTRB, an Gardai, the newspapers, anyone who will listen and can bring this to attention and stop this what appears to be coming standard practice with landlords and their agents:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do get the receipt and bring them to the PRTB. Did you take photos of the place when you left?

Sounds like it was just wear and tear, which needs to be covered by the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Normal cleaning cannot be deducted from deposit- now if you had pets, or there were red wine spills or something, that might be different.

Advertisement