Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH charter needs minor update?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That rule is there to refer to when a mod decides that ta thread is best placed in a particular forum- while not exclusively.

Mods need to make decisions now and again if they feel that the OP probably by tone needs a more serious reply or perhaps there is another reason like it simply isnt suitable.

For example ... 99.9 times out of 100 a video posted in AH will get moved to cool vids..

99.9 times out of 100 football stories will get moved to soccer, with the exception of it being a world cup sommer where they will probably have a sticky in AH for football discussion

Politics is in everyones life, perhaps i dont want to talk political theory, but more a pub chat on the subject - then it tends to stay in AH.

AH is a forum for a multitude of topics, the rule is there so the mods can use it.
    If it wasnt there i can guarentee you within 1 week there would be 5 threads in feedback complaining that their thread was moved even though there was no rule in the charter stating that they couldnt post their subject matter there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ah right, cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

snyper wrote: »
    That rule is there to refer to when a mod decides that ta thread is best placed in a particular forum- while not exclusively.

Mods need to make decisions now and again if they feel that the OP probably by tone needs a more serious reply or perhaps there is another reason like it simply isnt suitable.

For example ... 99.9 times out of 100 a video posted in AH will get moved to cool vids..

99.9 times out of 100 football stories will get moved to soccer, with the exception of it being a world cup sommer where they will probably have a sticky in AH for football discussion

Politics is in everyones life, perhaps i dont want to talk political theory, but more a pub chat on the subject - then it tends to stay in AH.

AH is a forum for a multitude of topics, the rule is there so the mods can use it.
    If it wasnt there i can guarentee you within 1 week there would be 5 threads in feedback complaining that their thread was moved even though there was no rule in the charter stating that they couldnt post their subject matter there

So it is at the Mods discretion rather than a rule, if you allow certain political threads in AH, surely you should allow all political threads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

OPENROAD wrote: »
    So it is at the Mods discretion rather than a rule, if you allow certain political threads in AH, surely you should allow all political threads
    The rules are fuzzy because the subject matter of threads posted by people in general in the likes of AH tend to be fuzzy.

It would be impossible to define a set of rules that covered every possible eventuality, if it were then internet forums wouldn't need human moderators and it could all be done by a fancy script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Steve wrote: »
    The rules are fuzzy because the subject matter of threads posted by people in general in the likes of AH tend to be fuzzy.

Unless the thread is even vaguely related to football.

The World Cup thread being the one & only exception ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny, I was PMing with someone about mod discretion in After Hours not 20 mins ago.

Certain threads that could/should be somewhere else are left in AH because the mods think that in this instance it's current/important enough to warrant AH attention.
    Some other times the mods decide that it's not enough to warrant AH attention and can move or lock the thread.
    I'm not going to give examples but the AH mods are chosen because the other AH mods and then admins feel that s/he has a good feel for how AH works and will act in the best interest of the forum.

What should and should not be in After Hours is during constant debate, both by the mods internally and also in Feedback threads like this.
    In my own opinion it works quite well, considering its size and span.

bonkey wrote: »

Tks for clarification, had a feeling that was the case.

Just as feedback though, would like to see the same discretion on Football related topics as starbelgrade implied, when it comes to football related threads, it does appear to be very black and white.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Tks for clarification, had a feeling that was the case.

Just as feedback though, would like to see the same discretion on Football related topics as starbelgrade implied, when it comes to football related threads, it does appear to be very black and white.

Personally I'd love to see a mega thread in AH for the footy. Can't see what harm it would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Personally I'd love to see a mega thread in AH for the footy. Can't see what harm it would do.
    You don't remember the Footie French Friday Massacre then. After Hours nearly imploded.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744213

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mods are excellent in AH, do a thankless task very well indeed imho.

Need to watch out for insidious promoting of certain political ideals under the guise of 'events' and then when the 'supporters' arrive en masse, anybody who dares to differ or object is accused of trolling.

AH is used to get the widest footprint and quite often the thread can turn into a propaganda exercise for a certain political party.

these threads are then 'bumped' at regular intervals to keep them current.

doesn't happen too often but the AH mods would need to be aware, and shunt them off to where they are most suited.

Overheal wrote: »
    You don't remember the Footie French Friday Massacre then. After Hours nearly imploded.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744213

No... I was at the match. Looks like a good read though - must have a browse through it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ah here,can you imagine the work that would have to go into a football super thread a la AH,jesus you would need a team of mods for it alone.Completly unworkable.

Ah here,can you imagine the work that would have to go into a football super thread a la AH,jesus you would need a team of mods for it alone.Completly unworkable.

I'd do it single handedly.

I'd start with giving perma-bans to anyone who says anything against Man United, continue with anyone who disagrees with me & then take it from there.

I'd make a savage Mod. :D

Some of the political debates in AH make the football threads in the soccer forum look so lightweight though.

It is not necessary a case of a football super thread, AH is obviously not the place for that, I still don't see why anything that is football related gets closed immediately though, when political threads rarely seem to get closed, even though it seems to be the same stuff over and over again.

I'm not saying they should be closed by the way, but wonder why both appear to be treated differently. By the way just to clarify, not having a go at the mods, they do a top job :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I guess the move / don't move threads situation is a line drawn in the sand that can stand to move regularly. It's always interesting feedback to hear what people think can be tweaked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is the beauty of AH, people can have the kind of talk you have with your mates down the local over a pint, and can do the serious stuff as well when called apon.

Also with AH, serious dicussion is had, its usally in a laymans language, easy to understand, and not in a dialogue that could leave you lost on the more realvent forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

That and a general chat thread, both would make AH more fun.

I wouldn't let football threads anywhere near AH.

Wouldn't even consider it.

Absolute disaster ,in my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Says the guy with a record number of bans from AH...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Leave me out of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think a footy thread would be cool all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It won't happen. There is a whole Soccer section for soccer discussion already.
    The thread on WC was almost not happening so a general soccer thread is very very unlikely.

Jeez ...cheap little jibe there, makes bitter reading.

Not a smart output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think a footy thread would be cool all right!

...they get worse than NI or Middle East threads, by all accounts. Nobody needs the hastle.

biko wrote: »
    It won't happen. There is a whole Soccer section for soccer discussion already.
    The thread on WC was almost not happening so a general soccer thread is very very unlikely.

You could say the same about Politics, yet we end up with serious Political discussions in AH.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The ole soccer forum has restricted access. Its there because when it didn't I think it was a complete troll fest. The changes made there were not made lightly. And having footie talk in AH, club footie talk particularly would be a bit of a nightmare.
    The world cup mega thread we had worked well I thought.

Listen to that man.

He has what others call common sense.

irish-stew wrote: »
    This is the beauty of AH, people can have the kind of talk you have with your mates down the local over a pint,

Except for the footy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

irish-stew wrote: »
    This is the beauty of AH, people can have the kind of talk you have with your mates down the local over a pint, and can do the serious stuff as well when called apon.

...but have no glass or table legs to hand when it goes pear shaped.

Advertisement