Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH charter needs minor update?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The ole soccer forum has restricted access. Its there because when it didn't I think it was a complete troll fest. The changes made there were not made lightly. And having footie talk in AH, club footie talk particularly would be a bit of a nightmare.
    The world cup mega thread we had worked well I thought.

Thats beacuse the football was harldly mentioned, it was all about those bloody horns, the samba girls, and the odds of the north koreanan team deflecting when it was all over.

:D

Even if you were not particalarly a fan of football, it had everyone talking.

OPENROAD wrote:
    You could say the same about Politics, yet we end up with serious Political discussions in AH.

No offence to the political forum, but I would much rather read the topic on it in AHs. I'm not politcally minded, as pointed out earlier its more likely to be posted in a laymans language and without the politcal jargon, plus if you are not politcally minded you are more likely to contribute to it, and this is exactly what AHs allows when the serious stuff arises.

Of course with it being AHs, your going to get the AHs repsonces as well, the same as you would get beer fueled responces if you were having the conversation down the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

irish-stew wrote: »
    Thats beacuse the football was harldly mentioned, it was all about those bloody horns, the samba girls, and the odds of the north koreanan team deflecting when it was all over.

Even if you were not particalarly a fan of football, it had everyone talking.

No offence to the political forum, but I would much rather read the topic on it in AHs. I'm not politcally minded, as pointed out earlier its more likely to be posted in a laymans language and without the politcal jargon, plus if you are not politcally minded you are more likely to contribute to it, and this is exactly what AHs allows when the serious stuff arises.

Of course with it being AHs, your going to get the AHs repsonces as well, the same as you would get beer fueled responces if you were having the conversation down the pub.

I get what the Mods are saying about a footie thread being a possible nightmare, but the same could be said for any contentious thread.

What Irish Stew is saying about the politics forum could equally apply to the soccer forum. Most people don't post in Politics because they are afraid of being shot down by other posters as they don't have the same political awareness or understanding of politics as a lot of the "political heads" who are regulars there ... and the place is full of them. (Ironically though, a lot of them only sound like they know what they're talking about).

The same thing however, happens quite regularly in the soccer forum. During the Ireland vs Macedonia game, one poster asked "Who is this James McCarthy guy & why is there so much fuss about him?". There followed 2 full pages of comments like "Do you know anything about football?", "What planet are you from?" etc etc.

His question would be akin to asking in the politics forum who Michael Martin is, as you've never heard of him. So, I felt sorry for the dude & posted a short synopsis of the McCarthy saga.

At least in AH, questions like this would be met with some degree of humour & more than likely a civil answer or two (yes, civility in AH!). It's one of the few forums where it's OK to post on a subject that you don't have an in depth understanding or knowledge of & where you won't be shot down for not having it. For that reason, you could argue that there is a lack of "civility" in other forums due to the "snobbish" nature of many of their posters.

No-one looks down their nose at you in AH. Now while some might consider the forum as a "dumbing down" of serious topics, I'd consider it a "normalising" of them. Just because you can't be an expert on every subject, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to discuss them.

And for that reason, I'd love to see a footie mega thread in AH - or even extend it to a sports mega thread, like the "Sports Bar" thread in the Lock Inn. If the forum is supposed to be pub style banter, then it's missing one of the biggest elements of talk that any pub has... Sport. At least with a Sports thread, people could discuss the likes of the footie, rugby, Wimbeldon (when it's on) & the Superbowl etc. And if the World Cup mega thread was such a success, then why not let it run to see how it works out?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Good post Star.

But my only concern re a sports thread on AH, is the potential for an amount of trolling or a partisan element, ie, a Liverpool or Utd fan wont have a bad word said about their team, and the rival fan will do everthing to wind them up over it, especailly during major fixtures.

It could cause major headaches for Mods not generally interested in sports/football, and caused by posters who either dont follow it enough to sign up to the soccer forum, have not met the criteria to post there, who have enven been banned, or who are just generally a troll/wum.

I still think there is room for majoor events that have people talking, but beyond that it could get a bit much.

In relation to a general chit chat on AH, doesn't a lot of threads turn into this. It could also turn AH into a clique forum, the chit chat threads on other forums work I think becuase its either a shared interest or private. Theres to much going on in AH and to much of a diveristy of posters and personalities for it to work, and would probably just end up with a select few with an overflow into the rest of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I hate it when people debate against me with logical, well put points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Good post Star.

But my only concern re a sports thread on AH, is the potential for an amount of trolling or a partisan element, ie, a Liverpool or Utd fan wont have a bad word said about their team, and the rival fan will do everthing to wind them up over it, especailly during major fixtures.

It could cause major headaches for Mods not generally interested in sports/football, and caused by posters who either dont follow it enough to sign up to the soccer forum, have not met the criteria to post there, who have enven been banned, or who are just generally a troll/wum.

I still think there is room for majoor events that have people talking, but beyond that it could get a bit much.

In relation to a general chit chat on AH, doesn't a lot of threads turn into this. It could also turn AH into a clique forum, the chit chat threads on other forums work I think becuase its either a shared interest or private. Theres to much going on in AH and to much of a diveristy of posters and personalities for it to work, and would probably just end up with a select few with an overflow into the rest of the forum.

Valid point, but again its the same re Politics in AH but maybe on a smaller scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Good post Star.

Well said, the problem I would have with a thread like that is when someone is banned from Soccer they would make their way to AHs to continue their argument and quite possibly get other users banned if they were still inclined to post in the same manner that got them banned from Soccer in the first place.

I honestly think it would bring the trolls out in force, and AHs has enough of those already.

Agreed.

Didn't OutlawPete ask and get a chat forum *similar to AHs* to keep these kind of threads away from AHs.

That was his main reason for asking for such a forum, if I remember correctly.

The Lock Inn is a chat forum with lots of AHs users posting there.

I really don't see the point of having a thread in AHs that could exist in The Lock Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

To be honest we were all getting sick to death of the constant political threads, but to be fair, we just had a general election which gripped the nation for months, it involved and effected all people in the country, every man, woman and child.

Football will never have the same effect unless Ireland actually qualify for something. Club football talk in AH would be a disaster.

Since the GE, the dust has started to settle and there are way fewer threads now. The mods of AH were aware of this and in the latter part of the GE were pro-active in locking and moving political threads.

To be honest we were all getting sick to death of the constant political threads, but to be fair, we just had a general election which gripped the nation for months, it involved and effected all people in the country, every man, woman and child.

Football will never have the same effect unless Ireland actually qualify for something. Club football talk in AH would be a disaster.

Since the GE, the dust has started to settle and there are way fewer threads now. The mods of AH were aware of this and in the latter part of the GE were pro-active in locking and moving political threads.

It is not just "general election threads " though, still plenty of political threads popping many of which seem similar or end up going down the same route or are the same theme that might have been discussed only a couple of months previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It is not just "general election threads " though, still plenty of political threads popping many of which seem similar or end up going down the same route.

No, I didn't specially mean GE threads, but the GE bred a national feel for politics. It was everywhere, including AH. The numbers have dropped off by at least 75% in recent weeks.

No, I didn't specially mean GE threads, but the GE bred a national feel for politics. It was everywhere, including AH. The numbers have dropped off by at least 75% in recent weeks.

No problems with the GE threads to be honest, as you said the GE campaign was long and did grip the nation for a long time.

It is the rehashing of certain political treads that seem to pop up in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No problems with the GE threads to be honest, as you said the GE campaign was long and did grip the nation for a long time.

It is the rehashing of certain political treads that seem to pop up in AH.

Yep, dead right, 3 today, within easy search page1 or 2 of AH that has the same old bulls*it and the same old stats by the same old posters that feature daily in Irish Economy.

Advertisement