Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power button on HTC Desire

• 22-03-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭

The power button on my HTC Desire acts as the 'wake up' button when the screensaver is in effect i.e. the screen is blank. Unfortunately when the phone is switched off, the power button seems to be very sensitive and only requires you to tip it and the phone switches on. This means that if the phone is switched off, there is no simple and effective way to confirm this without switching the phone on which defeats the purpose.

On all of my old Nokias you needed to hold down the power button for maybe a second in order to switch it on so if you wanted to check if the phone was switched on or off, you could just briefly press the power button and if nothing happened you knew it was switched off, otherwise you'd see the prompt telling you the button combination needed to unlock the keyboard.

Any suggestions for how to achieve this usability on the HTC Desire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Same as my Desire but didn't notice it until you pointed it out. I've had the phone for five months and it hasn't bothered me before and I'm sure won't bother me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

coylemj wrote: »
    The power button on my HTC Desire acts as the 'wake up' button when the screensaver is in effect i.e. the screen is blank. Unfortunately when the phone is switched off, the power button seems to be very sensitive and only requires you to tip it and the phone switches on. This means that if the phone is switched off, there is no simple and effective way to confirm this without switching the phone on which defeats the purpose.

On all of my old Nokias you needed to hold down the power button for maybe a second in order to switch it on so if you wanted to check if the phone was switched on or off, you could just briefly press the power button and if nothing happened you knew it was switched off, otherwise you'd see the prompt telling you the button combination needed to unlock the keyboard.

Any suggestions for how to achieve this usability on the HTC Desire?

There are a few ROMs out there that allow you to select a key other than power to wake up. Modaco is one. The key option is available to select in the online kitchen. I use the optical button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Widget Locker allows you to set it so that any hardware button will wake the phone (but not unlock it).

For ROMs you need to root the Desire, something I'm still not convinced is worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As others have pointed out it's possible to set another button to wake the phone up from sleep... but that doesn't change the over-sensitivity of the power button.

Really annoys me too as really the slightest knock off anything will power the phone back up, nightmare if you're trying to save a bit of battery power for later.

Would love to know of a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Goodshape wrote: »
    As others have pointed out it's possible to set another button to wake the phone up from sleep... but that doesn't change the over-sensitivity of the power button.

Really annoys me too as really the slightest knock off anything will power the phone back up, nightmare if you're trying to save a bit of battery power for later.

Would love to know of a fix.

Turning off the data connection and auto sync seems to reduce the battery usage considerably. That might be a good alternative to turning it off.

The power button it very sensitive. Took me a couple of cinema trips to master putting my turned off phone in my pocket without turning it back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you turn it off :confused:

seriosuly tho, if its to save battery, airplance mode will get you a lot of time out of it.
    another option could be a protective case, i have one for running and it makes the power button quite hard to press (design flaw probably) but some sort of shielding will protect the button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

subway wrote: »
    you turn it off :confused:

seriosuly tho, if its to save battery, airplance mode will get you a lot of time out of it.
    another option could be a protective case, i have one for running and it makes the power button quite hard to press (design flaw probably) but some sort of shielding will protect the button

What subway said. As turning the phone off is a three-click experience I just don't bother any more and use Airplane mode every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

psinno wrote: »
    The power button it very sensitive. Took me a couple of cinema trips to master putting my turned off phone in my pocket without turning it back on.

any suggestion for this?
    it kept switching on in my pocket during my flight. had to remove the battery

Advertisement