Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Pee and Grass

• 22-03-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I housetrained my dog to go out the back garden and now a few months later any where he has gone to the toilet has scorched the grass and turned it yellow, that is where there is grass left, is this something I just have to put up with or is there any solution

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You can train your dog to go in a specific spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I've never used these but I knew I'd seen them on the net, don't know if they work or not, but maybe an option

http://www.dogrocks.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

That's a Good one iv never seen them before, I wonder if they all there cracked up to be

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Its the nitrogen in their pee that burns the grass. I have the same problem (I have a female dog and its apparently worse with them) - we tried the green grass treats in the petstore - dog loved them but did nothing for the grass (she never goes in the same spot - always different spots) - was then recommended to try the dog rocks - ordered them - they also did nothing, some improvement - but nothing drastic (also my dog didn't like them in her water bowl, took her a few days to get used to them and drink normally again) - someone then suggested that I give her 2 tablespoons of tomato juice a day, so headed out to Tescos, got the juice and the next day poured the 2 tablespoons onto her food (wet/canned) that she has in the mornings - she loved it! And about a week later we noticed that all the brown burning was faded and within 2 weeks the grass was greener than it had ever been. So I'd highly suggest the tomato juice in their food - it works a treat and they love it! (I also heard that ketchup/red sauce also achieves the same effect but I'd rather not give her all the extra salt, etc etc that goes into ketchup, when the tomato is the main thing that changes the nitrogen in the pee, so the juice is much better and completely works on the grass)

That's a good one never heard that before must give it a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Someone then suggested that I give her 2 tablespoons of tomato juice a day, so headed out to Tescos, got the juice and the next day poured the 2 tablespoons onto her food (wet/canned) that she has in the mornings - she loved it! And about a week later we noticed that all the brown burning was faded and within 2 weeks the grass was greener than it had ever been. So I'd highly suggest the tomato juice in their food - it works a treat and they love it! (I also heard that ketchup/red sauce also achieves the same effect but I'd rather not give her all the extra salt, etc etc that goes into ketchup, when the tomato is the main thing that changes the nitrogen in the pee, so the juice is much better and completely works on the grass)

Well I never! Someone should bottle that and sell it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

(I also heard that ketchup/red sauce also achieves the same effect but I'd rather not give her all the extra salt, etc etc that goes into ketchup, when the tomato is the main thing that changes the nitrogen in the pee, so the juice is much better and completely works on the grass)
    I'd be surprised if what's sold as tomato juice is 100% juice either, and that there's other ingredients, including salt and sugar in there as well. Check the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Beasty.

Its the nitrogen in their pee that burns the grass. I have the same problem (I have a female dog and its apparently worse with them) - we tried the green grass treats in the petstore - dog loved them but did nothing for the grass (she never goes in the same spot - always different spots) - was then recommended to try the dog rocks - ordered them - they also did nothing, some improvement - but nothing drastic (also my dog didn't like them in her water bowl, took her a few days to get used to them and drink normally again) - someone then suggested that I give her 2 tablespoons of tomato juice a day, so headed out to Tescos, got the juice and the next day poured the 2 tablespoons onto her food (wet/canned) that she has in the mornings - she loved it! And about a week later we noticed that all the brown burning was faded and within 2 weeks the grass was greener than it had ever been. So I'd highly suggest the tomato juice in their food - it works a treat and they love it! (I also heard that ketchup/red sauce also achieves the same effect but I'd rather not give her all the extra salt, etc etc that goes into ketchup, when the tomato is the main thing that changes the nitrogen in the pee, so the juice is much better and completely works on the grass)

worth a try i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Because we have so many dogs peeing in our back garden, our grass has a very fetching patchwork pattern (couldn't get it if you paid for it! rolleyes.gif). Bitches are definitely worse than the boys and I have heard of some people going out and diluting the pee with a jug of water just after the dog goes but this isn't always very practical. Most large hardware stores sell seed and fertiliser packs that are specifically designed to combat dog pee induced discolouring - we got one last year around this time, spread it around the very dodgy parts of the garden and it worked quite well. Made sure to water it in really well and after a week or so new grass was sprouting in place of the old, brown mark!

Just looking out at the garden and think it may be time to do it again! redface.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

The best solution to your problem is to train the dog to only pee once he's left your garden when you're walking him. I know you can't walk him every time he needs to pee but if you walk him twice a day then he'll save most of it up. It takes time, even years for them to fully get the routine of it but they come around eventually.

If it's a thing that you don't walk him, then you can't really expect to have a nice garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

We decked/paved our garden so just rinse it off with a kettle of boiling water.

If you spot where the dog is peeing maybe try hosing it done to dilute it

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    The best solution to your problem is to train the dog to only pee once he's left your garden when you're walking him. I know you can't walk him every time he needs to pee but if you walk him twice a day then he'll save most of it up. It takes time, even years for them to fully get the routine of it but they come around eventually.

If it's a thing that you don't walk him, then you can't really expect to have a nice garden.

of course i walk him there would be no point having a dog otherwise

Advertisement