Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd year Arts - course choices

• 22-03-2011 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just curious, when do we pick our 2 subjects that we want to continue on in 2nd year? I'm guessing it'll be when we actually start in September?

Also, does anyone know if we're allowed to pick whatever modules we want for English? (The Eng dept site doesn't mention that if for example you take 20 credits that X or Y module is compulsory.)

For History, similar question - due to the many timetable clashes of the option modules, are you still allowed to take modules that clash? Otherwise you're essentially penalised for taking more credits. :(
    I've emailed the department and asked lecturers but all they would tell me was that they know of the clashes and they hope to change stuff around. /shrug -.-

Cheers in advance :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

December wrote: »
    Just curious, when do we pick our 2 subjects that we want to continue on in 2nd year? I'm guessing it'll be when we actually start in September?

In August, online.
    Also, does anyone know if we're allowed to pick whatever modules we want for English? (The Eng dept site doesn't mention that if for example you take 20 credits that X or Y module is compulsory.)

I'm not sure but for History you can pick what you like, while obviously having your compulsory core modules. Upon further thought I think English is pretty 'free flowing' in its structure, not like 1st year where it's pretty rigid.
    For History, similar question - due to the many timetable clashes of the option modules, are you still allowed to take modules that clash? Otherwise you're essentially penalised for taking more credits. :(

I'm confused. You want to pick modules that clash? You'll have to make a preference and lean towards a subject and pick them with a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

You cannot choose clashing modules within the same department. (i.e) If American Film & Genre was clashing with An Introduction to Shakespearean Drama the department would notice and force you to change regardless.

You can however pick modules that clash across your two subjects as departments aren't really interlinked. I really wouldn't advise this, you can only take 60 credits no more so if you get two modules clashing you'll be at a disadvantage by missing every second lecture etc. not to mention tutorials or the chance that class tests are set on the same day/time.

As far as modules in English go, it is pretty free flowing it just allows it so that you can either have 3 modules before christmas or after (including your seminar).

You also must take either Old or Middle English modules (I opted for Chaucer & Middle English...Ken Rooney is a legend!)

History again is the same, you'll have two core modules...then you choose a seminar to complete before Christmas and you will also have to choose two modules for summer examination (topics include The Tudors, Themes in Soviet Russia etc).

Consult the Book of Modules....it's all in there!

While you're at it OP, throw up a few modules you're looking to do and there's boardsies here who'll advise if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Thanks for the replies so far guys. :)

The reason why I brought up the clashes in History is because I have been all over the module info and timetable info (for 2nd years in 2010 - aparently the timetable doesn't change much year to year XD ) and most of the modules I want to take clash. :(
    So yeah it seems if I want to take more credits in history the choice of modules is taken out of the my hands.

HISTORY: Module options I want to take for single degree . The subjects all kinda tie in nicely in the area I want to study:

• TP1 HI2034 - From Celestial Empire to Collapsed Republic
    • TP2 HI2007 - War State and Society*
    • TP2 HI2017 - Geography and Imagination in the Middle Age*
    • TP2 HI2037 - The Rise of the Religious Orders in the Late Middle Ages*
    • TP2 HI2038 - The Tudors and Ireland*
    *Clash on Mondays!

HISTORY: Required mods (25pts):
    • HI2102 / HI2103 / HI2104
    • HI2105 - Seminar I want to take if it stays the same: Pirates and Empire.

So if I cant take ones that clash or if the timetable doesn't change next year, not only will I be a sad panda, but I will be forced to take the following (instead of 3 options in TP2) if I want to do History as a single. :(
    • HI2003 - Culture and Power: Renaissance Intellectual History
    • HI2031 - Ireland and Rome: History, Culture and Contact
    • HI2013 - Themes in Russian and Soviet History* OR
    • HI2022 - The History of the Media in Ireland*
    *clash on Tuesdays

English - 10pts:

EN2021 Seventeenth Century Literature and either:
    • EN2066 Drama: Medieval to Renaissance
    • EN2071 Women and Literature
    • EN2073 Introduction to Shakespearean Drama.

I'm also considering Greek and Roman Civ - 10pts - (if my English results are complete crap XD):
    • GR2019 Greek Mythology
    • GR2007 The Rise and Fall of Athens OR GR2025 Ancient Religion I:Pagan Thought and Practice

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

(Hope that makes more sense?)

So yeah it seems if I want to take more credits in history the choice of modules is taken out of the my hands.

The more credits you have the better the choice although you kinda have to do some to fill up the 50 credits. You're doing a single honours?
    HI2034 - From Celestial Empire to Collapsed Republic

Dr. Chris Connolly teaches this. I didn't take it but took his 3rd year module on Cold War China, which is after this module. Chinese history is interesting and Connolly is a top man, insightful, deeply knowledgeable and makes things enjoyable.
    HI2007 / HI2017 / HI2037 / HI2038 - War State and Society / The Tudors and Ireland

Be warned of the War, State and Society module. It sounded deeply interesting for me but when I heard that people had to design a war game from a computer program I was turned off. Similarly my friend does this subject, the content is interesting but the assessment is that he has to create a 'line up' of a battle and how it develops. Essentially creating war games. He didn't do it due to a complete lack of know how being received from the lecturer. The lecturer in question is also dubious I'm afraid. You hear many bad things about the standard. Apologies if I'm out of line mods but has to be said.

Who's lecturing the Tudors and Ireland?
    • HI2102 / HI2103 / HI2104
    • HI2105 - Seminar I want to take if it stays the same: Pirates and Empire.
    • HI2022 - Themes in Russian and Soviet History

Russian history is enjoyable, if a lot to take on board. The aspects are very interesting and enjoyable but the course has an incredibly slow and boring start discussing Lenin's ideology and the Revolution. That said, it gets better. If you've an interest and want to explore further, do. I chose this last year and stuck with a similar one in 3rd year.

I'm assuming Dave Edwards is doing the Pirates and Empire? If so, he's a very good lecturer.

My head is wrecked from your layouts. I can only advise somewhat.
    edit: I guess I should mention that I'm also considering Greek and Roman Civ (if my English results are complete crap XD).
    • GR2019 Greek Mythology
    • GR2007 The Rise and Fall of Athens OR GR2025 Ancient Religion I:Pagan Thought and Practice

Greek Mythology is good. Nothing spectacular or awful, just good. Its stewardship last year was awful, this year there's a new lecturer and he's class. Very good at his job. Mythology is handy but it gets fairly in-depth so stick with it.

Rise and Fall of Athens is alright. Not one of my favourite modules ever, just grand. There's a big scope to cover but it's a solid option.

Note: the workload in 2nd year is upped significantly. You'll have mid-term assessment (1500 words), seminar work (4k words), end of year exams. When I finished it last year, I also had a 5000 word research project to do, although they may have scrapped that.

• Advertisement

The more credits you have the better the choice although you kinda have to do some to fill up the 50 credits. You're doing a single honours?

Not really. Like I said - 4 module options clash on Mondays, 2 clash on Tuesdays. So out of those 6 options modules I can only take 2.

Dr. Chris Connolly teaches this. I didn't take it but took his 3rd year module on Cold War China, which is after this module. Chinese history is interesting and Connolly is a top man, insightful, deeply knowledgeable and makes things enjoyable.

Good to hear :) I think that's a tick mark for that one :D

Be warned of the War, State and Society module. It sounded deeply interesting for me but when I heard that people had to design a war game from a computer program I was turned off.
    O.o that sounds a little weird! Do you know if students were given help with the program and the 'How-tos' of doing this?
    Who's lecturing the Tudors and Ireland?

Dr David Edwards - I haven't encountered him in first year.

Russian history is enjoyable, if a lot to take on board. The aspects are very interesting and enjoyable but the course has an incredibly slow and boring start discussing Lenin's ideology and the Revolution. That said, it gets better. If you've an interest and want to explore further, do. I chose this last year and stuck with a similar one in 3rd year.
    I don't have an interest in this area at all, and really don't want to take it or the other modules that I mentioned that I would be forced to take if the module clashes on mondays isn't resolved. :(
    I'm assuming Dave Edwards is doing the Pirates and Empire? If so, he's a very good lecturer.
    Aha awesome, then the Tudors course should be good too :D
    My head is wrecked from your layouts. I can only advise somewhat.
    Ha! sorry I'll try tidy it up XD

Just so you have a bit of insight...

I'm currently studying Themes in Soviet & Russian History (James Ryan)... It's a very good course, he is an amazing lecturer although very hard to impress. He promised the class nobody would get a 1:1 (I hope to prove him wrong). The outline is great and the summer exam is practically given to us which is also nice.

I'm also doing The Tudors in Ireland with Dave Edwards. Apart from the fact that he's ALWAYS late, he is one of the best lecturer in the history department in my opinion second only to Diarmaid Scully. The course is very interesting and it also ties in with a core module which was really handy when it came to writing my last two essays (concerning the reformation in england and also the policies of Mary Tudor).

Good to hear :) I think that's a tick mark for that one :D

It's recommended. People have 'followed' him on from second year into third year so he's good. I'm not sure what the subject content is like though but it sounds good.

O.o that sounds a little weird! Do you know if students were given help with the program and the 'How-tos' of doing this?

Very little from what I can ascertain from my friend, although I am only hearing his side of the story but I believe it. He was in a group and the group failed to work due to the fact people didn't know what they were doing and each had different ideas. It was a mess. I read over the assignment form, four years in college, and I couldn't make sense of it. He didn't offer great help.

Dr David Edwards - I haven't encountered him in first year.

Highly reputed. He's a good lecturer and engaging although personally I'm not a great fan as I find he speaks so low!

I don't have an interest in this area at all, and really don't want to take it or the other modules that I mentioned that I would be forced to take if the module clashes on mondays isn't resolved. :(

Don't pick it. If you've no interest you'll only waste your time. What American Foreign Policy?

Aha awesome, then the Tudors course should be good too :D

It should, he's an expert in his field.

Very welcome, any more questions, shoot.
    Just so you have a bit of insight...

I'm currently studying Themes in Soviet & Russian History (James Ryan)... It's a very good course, he is an amazing lecturer although very hard to impress. He promised the class nobody would get a 1:1 (I hope to prove him wrong). The outline is great and the summer exam is practically given to us which is also nice.

Although I'm a fan of Dr. Ryan, he isn't an "amazing" lecturer. He's good, insightful, explains and knows his stuff but there's something lacking. I doubt he "promised" the class, just let them know he adheres to the NUI guidelines for grades stringently. He believes that too many 1:1 get spread around. Although don't let that fool you, I wrote a good piece of work and got 64, I was pleased as it was 6 off the First. If you deserve a 1:1, you'll get it. I hope you do, let me know what he thinks of it!
    I'm also doing The Tudors in Ireland with Dave Edwards. Apart from the fact that he's ALWAYS late, he is one of the best lecturer in the history department in my opinion second only to Diarmaid Scully. The course is very interesting and it also ties in with a core module which was really handy when it came to writing my last two essays (concerning the reformation in england and also the policies of Mary Tudor).

He's only late 'cause he's looking after that gorgeous mane of silver hair he has. :pac:

I don't like to contradict things too much but James Ryan made his impression on me by entering our classroom the first Tuesday we arrived back and saying "I promise you if you think you know soviet or Russian history, you have much to learn, our department holds one of the most significant minds in this course [Geoffrey Roberts], good grades are hard to attain and 1st class honours are near impossible I promise you this"

What I feel is lacking from James style of teaching is his engagement with authority over a group, while he can openly discuss and argue with us he holds little authority over the more unruly and argumentative which leaves opinions run on too long through the lecture interrupting his own schedule. Considering he is a relatively new lecturer this is only to be expected.

Mods: Criticism of faculty is merely an opinion if I am in breach I apologise I am just sharing an observation of mine.

"I promise you if you think you know soviet or Russian history, you have much to learn, our department holds one of the most significant minds in this course [Geoffrey Roberts], good grades are hard to attain and 1st class honours are near impossible I promise you this"

James's confidence has come on leaps and bounds it seems! Close enough to "impossibility", I'll take it. Bonzo, if you're desperate for your 1:1, I'd urge you to visit Dr. Ryan, I did and discussed ideas that opened my mind towards the assignments and boosted my grade from the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Is there much about Jonathan Rhys Myers in the Tudors course..I take it you have to watch the series of it a couple of times??

Dave Edwards loves those kind of jokes!

The Tudors course is my favorite and by far the one I've felt I have learned the most from, which is funny considering Edwards doesnt use Blackboard

Is there much about Jonathan Rhys Myers in the Tudors course..I take it you have to watch the series of it a couple of times??

Seriously dude, just seriously...

lol XD

Prob wouldn't do you much good anyway since the tv show The Tudors, really should've been called The Henry VIII show - and tells only a tiny, miniscule aspect of that period. ...However it was a fun and entertaining show :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The Tudor's is about as factual as the Flintstones.

The most enjoyable part of that series was Maria Doyle Kennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blue Smarties

Hey ,
    Anyone know where the Irish orals will be on monday ??
    Thanks

Hey ,
    Anyone know where the Irish orals will be on monday ??
    Thanks

Wrong thread. Ask in your department?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Has anybody done the Ireland & Rome module or the History of the media in Ireland...just looking for anybodies recemmendations or experiences of 2nd year history elective modules...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Should we have made our subject choices by now..

• Advertisement

yeah, im getting worried lol

Is there no option to register in your student administration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Relax people, the systems not open for registering yet. Repeats are only just ending. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Xxsparkyxx

Registration for second arts student is on the 9th of September online.it's on the ucc website:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Oh Thank God. Thought I was doing something wrong.

Ya it's quite late this year:/thought it would of been in late august:/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Xxsparkyxx wrote: »
    Xxsparkyxx wrote: »
    Registration for second arts student is on the 9th of September online.it's on the ucc website:)

FFS, my course is in the faculty of arts and I need to be registered before Friday - bit of a disaster!

Advertisement