Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 TONIGHT - The Truth about Irish Bloodsports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Traonach wrote: »
    Grizzly45
    Due to hunting there is basically no large game left in Zimbabwe....

Traonach - Zimbabwe's descent into economic and political chaos has meant that there has been huge amounts of illegal poaching of wild animals. What has actually happened in Zimbabwe since President Robert Mugabe began seizing and dividing land dividing the areas into small plots is that law and order has completly broken down.

Along with plummeting wildlife numbers due to poaching, the country has seen massive deforestation and the neglect of some national parks.
    At Hwange National Park, for example, animals have been killed off by severe drought, a problem exacerbated by scarce gasoline supplies. There is no longer enough fuel to power the pumps that feed the watering pans where animals gather.

The poaching that has happened in Zimbabwe has about as much to do with hunting as Mugabe has to do with democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

gozunda wrote: »
    Along with plummeting wildlife numbers due to poaching, the country has seen massive deforestation and the neglect of some national parks.
    At Hwange National Park, for example, animals have been killed off by severe drought, a problem exacerbated by scarce gasoline supplies. There is no longer enough fuel to power the pumps that feed the watering pans where animals gather.

You forgot to give the source of your wisdom. A four year old NG article, verbatim:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070801-zimbabwe-animals.html

EGAR wrote: »
    You forgot to give the source of your wisdom. A four year old NG article, verbatim:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070801-zimbabwe-animals.html

...and things have changed? And the poached animals have become reanimated and Mugabe is just a poor misunderstood sod who really has a heart of gold!

Yes I have read National Geographic AND other reputable reports on what is going on in Zimbabwe or is reading about worldwide news now frowned upon too? I'll just take myself out the back and give myself a good talking to! God forbid we should post factual information here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Perhaps you don't know so I will enlighten you: you must quote your source or else it's called stealing ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Perhaps you don't know so I will enlighten you: you must quote your source or else it's called stealing ;).

Aww EGAR give the man a break, least he is quoting stuff not making wild allegations like some previous posts ;)

• Advertisement

I detect some emnity EGAR....This is actually rerefered to as Paraphrasing which is the restatement of a text or passages of text. If the paraphrasing does not involve commercial profit or gain it is not stealing - just the same way as taking a photocopy or photograph for personal use is not "stealing".

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deminiman

The difference between the Irish rural people and the know it all townies is evident! If they dont like what we do, stay in town, stop trying to bring us into your know it all, bland lifestyles!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I love how people get on the moral uperty when it comes to fox and hare coursing but then completely ignore the cruelty that happens to chickens and livestock they eat!

- Also is placing rat traps cruel?
    - Is fishing cruel?
    - Is buying a table cruel cause some tree somewhere was chopped down and now some animal hasnt got a habitat?

Most people have to cop on....You cant just choose what you think is moral while completely ignoring something else cause it doesnt suit you to take the moral high ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Gosh no posts for 6 weeks & then............a repeat of the old arguments.

You townies don't understand us & there are other abuses of animals so why pick on us ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Discodog wrote: »

You townies don't understand us & there are other abuses of animals so why pick on us ?.

Well what arguement do you want to hear?

Some people get a kick out of hunting and some people dont, if you dont like hunting then dont hunt! No point ruining somebody elses fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am a country person, I do not feel the urge to go out, buy a hound and a horse and follow some poor animal until it either has the misfortune to get a heart attack or too tired to continue and allow it to be torn to shreds.

The ignorant barbaric few do not represent the whole of the countryside!!!!

What is wrong with a good drag hunt???

Gosh no posts for 6 weeks & then............a repeat of the old arguments..
    yup a repeat of the old arguments.....
    people who hunt are ignorant, barbaric etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I think the program was repeated tonight so some people may have been seeing it for the first time

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am a country person, I do not feel the urge to go out, buy a hound and a horse and follow some poor animal until it either has the misfortune to get a heart attack or too tired to continue and allow it to be torn to shreds.

THEN DON'T.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Deminiman wrote: »
    THEN DON'T.

3 posts here on Boards.3 reports about your posts.Stop trying to stir things up.

Hellrazer wrote: »

3 posts here on Boards.3 reports about your posts.Stop trying to stir things up.

Trying to stir? I don't think so. Reported by who? Those with a different opinion hmmmm...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Trying to stir? I don't think so. Reported by who? Those with a different opinion hmmmm...

Actually NO.It was reported by users who dont want to go down this road again.

until it either has the misfortune to get a heart attack or too tired to continue and allow it to be torn to shreds.

Links please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

homerhop wrote: »
    Links please?
    +1, Id like to see them too if ya dont mind

• Advertisement

+1

Theres 13 pages of this thread.It just seems to be going round and round in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Links please?

Sorry but 3 seconds on google produces this:

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/low.php?xp=media&xm=1597621

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/01/471920.html

And yes I eat meat, meat which has been humanely killed, it hasn't its limbs and intestines ripped out while it's still alive.

Sorry but 3 seconds on google produces this:

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/low.php?xp=media&xm=1597621

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/01/471920.html

And yes I eat meat, meat which has been humanely killed, it hasn't its limbs and intestines ripped out while it's still alive.

Thanks adrenalinjunkie,
    I will take indymedia with a grain of salt for as long as bernie wright and her ilk are writing for it.
    Other link was for a pic but nothing about heart attacks which is what i was really asking for when i looked for links.

I never mentioned anything about eating meat so I really dont know why you brought it up but since you did, well 3 seconds on google produces this link too....

http://www.ericsecho.org/investigation.htm

was in reply to:
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I love how people get on the moral uperty when it comes to fox and hare coursing but then completely ignore the cruelty that happens to chickens and livestock they eat!

A picture speaks a thousand words, or so they say. I'm not a fan of fanatical websites, I've never heard of indy media before (3 seconds on google and all that). Links were asked for so I provided. I've no idea how meat is processed in the states, I've only worked in the industry in this country. Do you have much knowledge of traditional fox hunting? The equestrian world is pretty small and people say an awful lot of things when they are around people they think are similar minded. To pretend this doesn't happen is a joke. At least in Britain they didn't lie or play down what went on pre hunting ban.

Are you one of the people that thinks if traditional fox-hunting is banned then hunting with a gun will be next by any chance? That's something that is never going to happen, the two are poles apart and completely incomparable.

Just to elaborate most people who go traditional fox hunting give off a similar vibe to 17 yr old boy racers, there is no point trying to engage in a reasonable adult conversation with them about the subject as they simply do not care, about anything. A lot of people involved in horses are stone mad to start with, sometimes you have to be (and I don't exclude myself in this).

was in reply to:

A picture speaks a thousand words, or so they say. I'm not a fan of fanatical websites, I've never heard of indy media before (3 seconds on google and all that). Links were asked for so I provided. I've no idea how meat is processed in the states, I've only worked in the industry in this country. Do you have much knowledge of traditional fox hunting? The equestrian world is pretty small and people say an awful lot of things when they are around people they think are similar minded. To pretend this doesn't happen is a joke. At least in Britain they didn't lie or play down what went on pre hunting ban.

Are you one of the people that thinks if traditional fox-hunting is banned then hunting with a gun will be next by any chance? That's something that is never going to happen, the two are poles apart and completely incomparable.

Sorry i thought you were refering to me when you quoted me and then said about the meat. I am not saying it doesnt happen it does. I have grown up around hunts ( I dont hunt in that sense as I am not a big fan of horses) an pack hounds so i know how they work. What I do not agree with is when people come on and say foxes are hunted for hours on end to the degree of exhaustion. Those who say that show they know nothing about foxes as they have earths that they can make it to at pace in roughly 10- 15 minutes. Now I am not saying they always make it they dont.

To be honest groups opposed to hunting such as ICABS, ALF etc will not be happy till they prevent all hunting be it fishing or shooting so yes I do think along those lines just look at ICABS website, or look through some of the stuff on indymedia. They go as far to even target companies that make signs for gun clubs.

Also the same can be said for trying to talk to someone who is opposed to hunting, they refuse to even believe that I have any interest in animals or wildlife, yet when I ask them what have they done to enhance the wildlife population they have no reply except the usual least i dont shoot /hunt it.
    I spent the last few months involved in the release of ducks onto a pond to get them to hatch and rear young and no they were never going to be hunted, they were in a sanctuary and all went down to nest producing 14+ eggs. People would come walking and look at what we were doing and I spent plenty of time explaining how the ducks built nests, pointed ones out that were vaguely visible and what the hatching time success rate was roughly in them surviving. One person in particular who walked the area for more that 30 years commented on the vast improvement in visible wildlife in the area since our club has become active. We discussed at great length the hawkes, foxes, badgers squirrels, and even a few white hares that I has seen and caught on video. I told him where he would get the best views of each and roughly what time. When he asked about a fox getting at the ducks I assured him it was the least of their worries as there were worse preditors out there for ducklings. My parting words to him were thats nature and he replied ye have a great outlook on life,but then what would I know about wildlife, seemingly I am ignorant and barbaric.
    Oh and for the record a week before the ducks hatched an otter(that is still alive and well) over the space of 4 days wiped out all the nests.

To be honest groups opposed to hunting such as ICABS, ALF etc will not be happy till they prevent all hunting be it fishing or shooting so yes I do think along those lines just look at ICABS website, or look through some of the stuff on indymedia. They go as far to even target companies that make signs for gun clubs.

Also the same can be said for trying to talk to someone who is opposed to hunting, they refuse to even believe that I have any interest in animals or wildlife, yet when I ask them what have they done to enhance the wildlife population they have no reply except the usual least i dont shoot /hunt it.

No it will never happen because the masses are never going to take extremists and hysterics seriously. If asked to vote on it the logical reasoned arguments are what people will weigh up if they have the intelligence to do so, if they are not capable of this and are on the fence they don't vote or to let someone they know and trust who is capable make the decision for them.

....Just to elaborate most people who go traditional fox hunting give off a similar vibe to 17 yr old boy racers, there is no point trying to engage in a reasonable adult conversation with them about the subject as they simply do not care, about anything. A lot of people involved in horses are stone mad to start with, sometimes you have to be (and I don't exclude myself in this).

Not being a tad generic there AJ?. People I hunt with include plumpers, doctors, farmers, factory workers, unemployed, employed, students, school leavers, mothers, fathers - in fact people from all walks of life. In my experience as a group these people are more aware and care more about "things" than many others know. "Stone Mad" too? Dont mince your opinions anyway....like to throw any more insults?.....

reasoned debate it aint....

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theres 13 pages of this thread.It just seems to be going round and round in circles.

For what its worth.:rolleyes:

Keep it nice.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Not being a tad generic there AJ?. People I hunt with include plumpers, doctors, farmers, factory workers, unemployed, employed, students, school leavers, mothers, fathers - in fact people from all walks of life. In my experience as a group these people are more aware and care more about "things" than many others know. "Stone Mad" too? Dont mince your opinions anyway....like to throw any more insults?.....

reasoned debate it aint....

Its only a month since AJ posted this.Why bring it up now.

Advertisement