Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Wooden Doors Interior.. How many Coats?

• 22-03-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I am planning to paint all the interior doors of my house.. they are white at the moment.. well more a off white now.. i have started on the first door (ensuite) and i was recommended to do an undercoat and 2 overcoats (i'm doing satin finish).... i have done an undercoat and 1 overcoat and it looks fine to me.. and i was suprised how long it actually took to paint 1 door.. and there are 10 more doors to go!!

anyway my question is.. why was i told an undercoat and 2 overcoats... is this overkill... as they are already white should i just go with 2 overcoats... or should i go with 1 under 1 over.... or should i really do it right now with the 3 coats as i wont be doing it again for a long long time.....

any advice is much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

You have answered your own question there grantk2. If you want to do it right, or if you want to do it quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

3 coats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

grantk2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am planning to paint all the interior doors of my house.. they are white at the moment.. well more a off white now.. i have started on the first door (ensuite) and i was recommended to do an undercoat and 2 overcoats (i'm doing satin finish).... i have done an undercoat and 1 overcoat and it looks fine to me.. and i was suprised how long it actually took to paint 1 door.. and there are 10 more doors to go!!

anyway my question is.. why was i told an undercoat and 2 overcoats... is this overkill... as they are already white should i just go with 2 overcoats... or should i go with 1 under 1 over.... or should i really do it right now with the 3 coats as i wont be doing it again for a long long time.....

u be better of giving them 2 coats of satin instead of coat of undercoat and coat of satin, as satin dont need to be undercoated.

byrybak wrote: »
    u be better of giving them 2 coats of satin instead of coat of undercoat and coat of satin, as satin dont need to be undercoated.

Nonsense advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

grantk2 wrote: »
    Hi,

1 coat atop a well-keyed surface is all I'd do. Can't say fairer than that :)

The point of undercoat is to provide a key to the top coat and help build up thickness on newly painted wood. You have thickness already with the old paint so only need to provide a good surface (key) for the new paint to stick well to.

You can buy special pads for the purpose in the likes of Chadwicks or more expensively, Woodies. They are cigarette-box sized sponges coated with an emery like material - perfect for taking the smooth surface off your old paint - which leaves you with a finely sanded surface ready for painting. They're perfect to for flexing into hard to reach places - espec on doors with curved mouldings They're cheap as chips and far more suitable for purpose than sandpaper - removing as they do, only the barest amount that needs to be removed.

You don't need to go bananas and remove all the sheen from the surface of the old paint - if you've gotten about 70% of the surface a matt finish with small dips and hollows in the surface remaining untouched then that's absolutely fine. Pay extra attention to areas likely to get worn: around door handles, leading edges and that's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Nonsense advice.

If you go onto Dulux website, it states their Satin finish doesnt need an undercoat!

Yeah, thats if you are using waterbased. Which is notorious for yellowing and poor coverage. I was talking oil based, even though I didn't make that clear, so aplogies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Yeah, thats if you are using waterbased. Which is notorious for yellowing and poor coverage. I was talking oil based, even though I didn't make that clear, so aplogies.
    oilbase dont need to be undercoated aswell, u need to study a little bit more

Dulux Satinwood is a solvent-based satin finish suitable for use on interior
    wood and metal surfaces.
    It is tough, hardwearing and dirt resistant, and does not require an undercoat
    (except in areas where a strong colour change is required), so it can be
    applied direct to suitably prepared surfaces.
    Before preparing any surface for painting, read the Safety, Health &
    Environmental information on page 2 about old lead-based paints.

Yeah your right on that front, sorry pal for calling it nonsense. Dulux say it doesn't need an undercoat. Call me stubborn but I always have and will still continue to apply an undercoat, because it does a great job. It sticks to the substrate and allows the top coats to stick to the undercoat without any worries. Bare wood should always receive an undercoat though. Once again apolgies for calling you on that one.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ahhh, the Holy Grail of the one coat, non drip, self sanding, self stripping, rust inhibitor, all singing, all dancing paint!

p.s. They said it couldn't be done and 'they' were right! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

LOL

Advertisement