Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for private bjj lessons

• 22-03-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am a boxer and looking to compete in mma and would like to get some private bjj lessons.
    Anyone know where i can get private lessons for a resonable price in the dublin area???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Why not join an MMA gym? If you want to compete in MMA then you would need a proper MMA coach and team behind you. There's more involved than just being able to box and just having limited Brazilian Jiujitsu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Join a gym and if you want then get some lessons off the head coach-BJJ and Boxing without putting them together in an MMA context just wont cut it in competition.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

I have joined an mma club but due to work committments cannot get there on a regular basis.
    the head coach charges too much for private lessons so was wondering if there is anyone out there who does private bjj lessons at a resonable rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

what's a reasonable rate?

20-30 euro/hour???

• Advertisement

Where do you train may I ask? Just that if you train at my gym then there may be a good few guys that would give you privates and maybe that price (although that price is very low for BJJ privates). I think most private lessons would be between €50 and €100 (I would do it for €20/€30 but purple belt and above starts to get a lot more pricey!).

kdowling wrote: »
    20-30 euro/hour???

If instructors can get 10 euro a class with 10-20 people there, there hardly going to do an hour for 20-30 euro in reality, 50-60 euro is reasonable as a starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

kdowling wrote: »
    I am a boxer and looking to compete in mma and would like to get some private bjj lessons.
    Anyone know where i can get private lessons for a resonable price in the dublin area???

Try Tony Souza at Kokoro, hes a Black Belt and was reasonably priced when I got a 3 person private group session wit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Banks wrote: »
    Try Tony Souza at Kokoro, hes a Black Belt and was reasonably priced when I got a 3 person private group session wit him.

Is he still the highest ranked in BBJ in the country?

Mellor wrote: »

Yes, The only black belt in Brazilian boo jitsu we have

• Advertisement

BBJ yes. BJJ no, John Kavanagh is the same rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I believe Tony is a 2nd Dan Black belt. I know John Kavanagh is also a black belt but not sure what dan. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either of them.

Shazbot wrote: »
    I believe Tony is a 2nd Dan Black belt. I know John Kavanagh is also a black belt but not sure what dan. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either of them.

John is also a 2 stripe black. Tips are only for length of time rather than ability when it gets to black so that would not be a way of gauging ability anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I think you're better off judging a coaches ability by their competition record and the achievements of their students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Or on your personal experience of training with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Or on your personal experience of training with them.
    Oh yeah, big time. There's a whole load of important things that a person's competition record won't really tell you - like their personality and the atmosphere they create in class - but that's a bit subjective, and not something you can just check up over the net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

There's also a black belt in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

BBJ yes. BJJ no, John Kavanagh is the same rank.

So is Germán Ventura Vera in Cork I believe, he also has a black belt under De La Riva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cowzerp wrote: »
    Yes, The only black belt in Brazilian boo jitsu we have
    lol wp, damn my awkward fingers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just thinking. One of the guys in my gym is a blue belt from Atos gym in Brasil and is looking to earn some extra cash. He'd be cheap enough as he's a student. We also have two purple belts and I reckon the price is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

Darragh o Connail at next generation is only 30 euro per hour.
    Talk to anybody about him or check his competition record and you will agree that is great value.
    PM SENT OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

peteclarke wrote: »
    Darragh o Connail at next generation is only 30 euro per hour.
    Talk to anybody about him or check his competition record and you will agree that is great value.
    PM SENT OP.

Agreed

Thanks a mil lads for all the info. If anyone has daragh o connails maobile or email address could you please pm me with it, or anyone else contact details. I'm not too worried about their level once they are a good blue belt or above.

Advertisement