Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe using Aubergines.

Options
  • 22-03-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

I've two lovely aubergines sitting here waiting to be eaten.

Looking for recipes that I can use them in, I've tried the BBC food website but all I'm getting results for are for side dishes and I'd really like the aubergine to be the main part of the meal.

To make life more difficult though, I've got some can and can'ts :o
    • I'm vegetarian, so no meat or fish recipes.
    • I'm on a non-starchy carb diet so don't want to have them with rice/pasta/bread
    • I also only have access to a stove top. No oven, or grill unfortunately.

Has anyone got any ideas what I do with these so?

Any and all help greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Stir fry them Thai style. Also if you search for eggplant you'll get a whole bunch more recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3621/aubergine-dip.aspx

Nyom nyom

Heh, say hello to Place de Parliament for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

chakotha wrote: »

I though this too but OP has no oven or grill.

SBWife wrote: »
    I though this too but OP has no oven or grill.

Run down to the local Kebab shop (preferably when they are quiet) and buy a can of coke, ask them to stick them by their grill for a while for you!

Problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

No oven or grill lads, I would have loved to try the Aubergine bake in cooking club a few weeks ago. Alas, was not to be.
    Samba wrote: »
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/3621/aubergine-dip.aspx

Nyom nyom

Heh, say hello to Place de Parliament for me ;)

Ha, I will. That's the new place to be on a Monday night :D

Reckon I can make the dip without roasting them first?

Samba wrote: »
    Run down to the local Kebab shop (preferably when they are quiet) and buy a can of coke, ask them to stick them by their grill for a while for you!

Problem solved

Dunno if that would work. Also, I'd be afraid 'roast my aubergines' translated in to french would be some sort of come on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love ratatouile (sp?).

Aubergine, tinned tomatoes, onions, peppers and courgettes boiled up.
    I would usually have it on chicken breast but halloumi cheese could be lovely with it.

Dunno if that would work. Also, I'd be afraid 'roast my aubergines' translated in to french would be some sort of come on :pac:

haha yeah, they really do need to be roasted/grilled first, my final suggestion would be to go down to O'Connells for a drink, if Duncan or Chris are working they might be good enough to roast them for you in their kitchen while you're enjoying your drink, if Duncan is working, tell him Samba sent you ;)

ElleEm wrote: »
    I love ratatouile (sp?).

Aubergine, tinned tomatoes, onions, peppers and courgettes boiled up.
    I would usually have it on chicken breast but halloumi cheese could be lovely with it.

Oh, I really like the sound of this!

@Samba, I'll see what I can do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you have a carbon steel wok with a lid, use that to bake the aubergines.

Take a wok and add a few pieces of scrunched foil to the wok to keep the aubergine off the base. Slice the aubergines in half lengthwise and hatch the cut surface - avoid cutting through to the skinside. Oil and cook the aubergines on a ridge pan to colour the hatched side, then wrap in oiled tinfoil and place in the wok with a lid on. Heat on high for a few minutes then lower the heat and cook with the lid on for 15 to 20 minutes. Pierce the thick part with a small knife to test if its done.

As for a recipe, I'd toast some cumin seeds in a dry pan, then grind and sprinkle over the aubergines. Sit them in the foil and warm through in the wok/oven for a few minutes while you make the topping. In a bowl, combine crumbled feta cheese, fresh mint leaves, dried cranberries, crushed garlic, fresh chilli and either toasted hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds. Add a lash of olive oil to loosen the mixture up. Pile on the cooked aubergines and eat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can make a lovely risotto with aubergines, tomatoes, cepes and asparagus. It's asparagus season, don't let it go to waste!

I found another recipe online where you lightly fry the aubergines to soften them, then wrap them around a small ball of mozerella and serve with a spicey tomato salsa, going to try make that tonight!

Cheers for all the suggestions! :)

Advertisement