Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Sell Qualification Rights for €10m a Year

• 22-03-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Suprised there wasn't a thread on this.

Basically the FAI were at the fore in getting a collective tv deal for qualification games that will net us €10m a year. Bravo Mr Delaney, a job very well done.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fai-delight-at-tv-coup-2589321.html
    That means the Aviva will be totally paid for in 9 years and dramatically improve the FAI's cashflows.

So will they increase prizemoney for the LoI, or continue to pump money into the grassroots to bury the Gah while they are in tatters? Hopefully they can afford to do both.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That means the Aviva will be totally paid for in 9 years and dramatically improve the FAI's cashflows.

So will they increase prizemoney for the LoI, or continue to pump money into the grassroots to bury the Gah while they are in tatters? Hopefully they can afford to do both.
    Eh no. Most will be spent on Lansdowne, the rest will be blown on crazy salaries for the likes of Delaney and our esteemed manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Eh no. Most will be spent on Lansdowne, the rest will be blown on crazy salaries for the likes of Delaney and our esteemed manager.

Those things happen currently. (And JD has justifed his salary by getting this deal for the FAI. While every other competition is moving away from collective bargaining, he was involved in redistributing money across all 53 UEFA countries from the top nations).

We now have a cashfow of milions a year more than we had this morning.

What should the FAI do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Suprised there wasn't a thread on this.

Basically the FAI were at the fore in getting a collective tv deal for qualification games that will net us €10m a year. Bravo Mr Delaney, a job very well done.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fai-delight-at-tv-coup-2589321.html

Solid news.

But I must ask you a question, and I would like an honest answer. Why must you open threads with, or repeatedly post in, a confrontational manner, with a clear modus operandi to aggrivate ill-feeling amongst posters ?

Could you not have started this thread without the reference to the GAA, the presence of which, has no reason other then to ensure a de-railed GAA V FAI discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What should the FAI do with it?

Cans for Oirland fans at all away matches.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Solid news.

It is, isn't it.
    But I must ask you a question, and I would like an honest answer. Why must you open threads with, or repeatedly post in, a confrontational manner, with a clear modus operandi to aggrivate ill-feeling amongst posters ?

Stop being so precious.
    Could you not have started this thread without the reference to the GAA, the presence of which, has no reason other then to ensure a de-railed GAA V FAI discussion.

I disagree. Go onto the bogball forum. Every piece of good news involves them saying how it will stem the tide of rugby and football. Yet when a football fan thinks strategically, its given out about.

They are at their lowest ever ebb and if we do it right, we have a chance to finally get the monopoly on young talent across the island that the sport deserves.

• Advertisement

It is, isn't it.

Stop being so precious.

I disagree. Go onto the bogball forum. Every piece of good news involves them saying how it will stem the tide of rugby and football. Yet when a football fan thinks strategically, its given out about.

They are at their lowest ever ebb and if we do it right, we have a chance to finally get the monopoly on young talent across the island that the sport deserves.

So, you dont mid "fighting fire with fire", against what you consider to be the lowest common denominator i.e "those on the bogball forum" ? Plus, what you claim is repeatedly said on the GAA board, has escaped my attention.

You are deluding yourself if you believe the influx of a few million euros will "bury the GAA". The National League is not exactly at its peak, and 10 million Euros per annum (substantially spent on the Aviva Stadium) will do little to halt the slide.

Stop searching for an argument.

So, you dont mid "fighting fire with fire", against what you consider to be the lowest common denominator i.e "those on the bogball forum" ? Plus, what you claim is repeatedly said on the GAA board, has escaped my attention.

You are deluding yourself if you believe the influx of a few million euros will "bury the GAA". The National League is not exactly at its peak, and 10 million Euros per annum (substantially spent on the Aviva Stadium) will do little to halt the slide.

Thanks for derailing the thread with your sterling defence of the bigots, but this is a good news story and I have no interest in this debate with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The National League has been on a downward spiral for a while, I think Rovers had a bigger crowd than most of the National League teams last week, the perfect time to drive it on for the FAI.

Thanks for derailing the thread with your sterling defence of the bigots, but this is a good news story and I have no interest in this debate with you.

You wanted it to be derailed. We can extrapolate that from your unnecessairly provocative OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Forgetting that the league isnt the main competition.

You'd wonder if the FAI will reduce prices a bit for matches.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    You'd wonder if the FAI will reduce prices a bit for matches.

I've said this before, the majority of Irish people who go to Ireland matches wouldn't be regular attendees at club matches. Now take England for example, there international ticket prices wouldn't be far off the Irish ones afaik and I'd say every single one of them fans would have a weekly outgoing to go to club matches.

I've said this before, the majority of Irish people who go to Ireland matches wouldn't be regular attendees at club matches. Now take England for example, there international ticket prices wouldn't be far off the Irish ones afaik and I'd say every single one of them fans would have a weekly outgoing to go to club matches.

Very true! Does the FAI get much money from the weekly gate receipts of LOI matches? Also, how much on average are matches? I have a figure in my head but think its bit high.

Very true! Does the FAI get much money from the weekly gate receipts of LOI matches? Also, how much on average are matches? I have a figure in my head but think its bit high.

They don't get a cut of the gate receipts but clubs have to pay a crazy price to enter the League and to enter an A team. Matches are I'd say between €20-€10 for an Adult/Student and €5 for a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yah another GAA/LOI píssing contest. Shockingly, a large majority of people involved in the GAA and soccer have an interest in both. This is good news for soccer, any influx of money is a good thing once it is spent wisely. But there's no need for needlessly provocative posting about the GAA. I expect it at this stage, but it is not needed.

They don't get a cut of the gate receipts but clubs have to pay a crazy price to enter the League and to enter an A team. Matches are I'd say between €20-€10 for an Adult/Student and €5 for a child.

Unfortunate for clubs to have to go season by season like that. Id almost suggest improving facilities at some grounds could be done. I know the Carlisle Grounds could do with some, altho got good crowd last match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

As far as I can see this was a UEFA decision to re-distribute the TV rights for ALL European qualifiers so Delaney and the FAI had very little to do with it. I'm sure they'll still take the credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Its clear what Delaneys plans for football in Ireland is

An international side from the best he can get from England and make a few quid with some friendlys off it.

If a domestic game somehow develops then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

As far as I can see this was a UEFA decision to re-distribute the TV rights for ALL European qualifiers so Delaney and the FAI had very little to do with it. I'm sure they'll still take the credit...

I was just about to point this out. Theres a bit of triumphalism about Delaney in the media. The truth is, everyone of the mid table countries got a great deal. Delaney probably had about as much input to this as you or I.

Unfortunate for clubs to have to go season by season like that. Id almost suggest improving facilities at some grounds could be done. I know the Carlisle Grounds could do with some, altho got good crowd last match

Every ground asides from maybe Tallaght and Athlone need improvements, but unfortunately the Government nor local councils have the money to be investing and well clubs can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If it takes some pressure on the price of tickets to pay for the stadium, fair enough. Doubt you'll see a massive improvement at grass roots level. :Dat thinking the Gah is in tatters, you are a funny one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

That is like saying the Premier League is in tatters in August. You wait to the summer and Championship and the GAA will be in full swing.

Like many people here I feel that Delaney had very little input in this deal and they will blow the money on some stupid project of theirs.

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Like many people here I feel that Delaney had very little input in this deal and they will blow the money on some stupid project of theirs.

Yeah the thread title makes it seem like Delaney is some sort of master businessman as opposed to being one of dozens of smaller countries who will benefit from this. About time too, wealth should be shared around between the haves and have nots when it is possible in cases like this.

Fair enough that club teams can profit from having higher attendances, but TV rights should be shared equally in my view in club and international football. It's wrong the way Barca and Real Madrid are creaming it whilst other Spanish teams struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I think you'll find you're wrong - majority that attend International matches do attend their club games and are members of their clubs. The point that is missed all too often is that the LOI makes up less than 5% of football in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

That is like saying the Premier League is in tatters in August. You wait to the summer and Championship and the GAA will be in full swing.

Strange how many times did they fill CP up to last August? and compare that to 3 yrs previous?

micks wrote: »
    Strange how many times did they fill CP up to last August? and compare that to 3 yrs previous?

Pointless arguement cos the place is so big to cater for crowds on final days. Besides, this thread is bout FAI getting millions in tv money, not how much money one's favourite sport is getting over another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I doubt this will have much effect on general ticket prices to international games but it will certainly ease the pressure on the FAI having to sell the Premium level seats (vantage club) at pre recession prices

micks wrote: »
    I think you'll find you're wrong - majority that attend International matches do attend their club games and are members of their clubs. The point that is missed all too often is that the LOI makes up less than 5% of football in this country

I don't mean attending the local under 7's match, I mean attending and supporting a club which costs money. Travelling to the likes of Derry, Athlone, Cork, Wexford, Limerick, Galway every second week isn't cheap along with expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I may have to go and lie down in a darkened room after saying this - but i actually think ONYD had a point when bringing the GAA into the equation. its not about it being a "pissing contest" - rather about how can football make itself stronger in a highly competitive domestic market, were both GAA and Rugby take fans, and compettitors from under their noses.

The GAA, in my experience, have always stood in the way of football's development in Ireland, with my local club deliberately moving & scheduling matches etc to clash with local football teams and putting pressure on kids at the age of ten to make a choice between the two sports.

It's like any other business in that sense, you use your funds to make yourself more appealing to "customers" - in this case fans, and players.

He may have been a little crude in his terminology, but that is a matter of taste and/or personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Eirebear wrote: »
    I may have to go and lie down in a darkened room after saying this - but i actually think ONYD had a point when bringing the GAA into the equation. its not about it being a "pissing contest" - rather about how can football make itself stronger in a highly competitive domestic market, were both GAA and Rugby take fans, and compettitors from under their noses.

The GAA, in my experience, have always stood in the way of football's development in Ireland, with my local club deliberately moving & scheduling matches etc to clash with local football teams and putting pressure on kids at the age of ten to make a choice between the two sports.

It's like any other business in that sense, you use your funds to make yourself more appealing to "customers" - in this case fans, and players.

He may have been a little crude in his terminology, but that is a matter of taste and/or personality.

Well of course there is always the competition between the sports for the kids.

But in many many towns and villages all over the country both soccer and GAA co-exist, kids and adults play both, and kids and adults attend and support both.

I do not agree with the OP that
    a. 'the Gah......are in tatters'
    b. this 10m per year will 'bury the Gah'

As I said earlier with may do little more than ease the FAI financial commitment to the Aviva and take the pressure off the requirement to sell the Vantage Club seats and unrealistic prices in a post boom Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I hope the re hire all the CPOs and Regional and Junior coaches they let go due to cost cutting.

Eirebear wrote: »

GOod man EB, I knew you would come to the light eventually.

It is interesting that the FAI are the only sports body who aren't allowed be assertive and strategic. The Gah routinely attack football, whether it be through the high court, switching training to clash with games leaving the kids caught in the middle, to spreading broken glass on football pitches. Yet when a football fan suggests that we are in a situation to hoover up talent at a time they are at their lowest ever ebb, the handwringers are out tut tutting.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I hope the re hire all the CPOs and Regional and Junior coaches they let go due to cost cutting.

+ a billion. An absolute no brainer.

Lets look at the facts.

- playing numbers down
    - attendences WAY down
    - debts across the asssociation in the hundreds of millions
    - 3 county boards needed a bailout in recent years - in effect they went bust
    - clubs in severe financial difficulty. Portlaoise are €6m in debt, more than the whole LoI combined, Thomas Bigots over €2m in the red.
    - stadia across the country in a decrepit state and no longer fit for puropse

Football is in a far healthier state (more people play the beautiful game than gaelic and hurling combined), and this money can only push that advantage home.

So the argument seems to be the Gah is nearly as fecked as we are!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lets look at the facts.

- playing numbers down
    - attendences WAY down
    - clubs in severe financial difficulty. Portlaoise are €6m in debt, more than the whole LoI combined, Thomas Bigots over €2m in the red.

Football is in a far healthier state (more people play the beautiful game than gaelic and hurling combined), and this money can only push that advantage home.

Wishful thinking

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Wishful thinking

Feel free to point out any factual innacuracies.

The difference between the referee abducters and us can be summed up very easily.

We ask questions of, criticise and hold to account the people who run football.

They go on omerta. 'Sure its grand'.

Which is why football in this country is in a far stronger state from a far weaker base.

Feel free to point out any factual innacuracies.

The difference between the referee abducters and us can be summed up very easily.

They go on omerta. 'Sure its grand'.

Which is why football in this country is in a far stronger state from a far weaker base.

It wasnt a week ago that you were calling Dalymount a dilapidated dump and unsafe.

Also you are saying that football is playing off a weaker base despite JUST saying the exact fúcking opposite!! LOL

Care to back up the tripe your are spouting with some proof as you go or is the onus on me to prove what you are saying as waffle?

Dempsey wrote: »
    It wasnt a week ago that you were calling Dalymount a dilapidated dump and unsafe.

Also you are saying that football is playing off a weaker base despite JUST saying the exact fúcking opposite!! LOL

Care to back up the tripe your are spouting with some proof as you go or is the onus on me to prove what you are saying as waffle?

No, I said the stand that away fans are put in is unsafe. The rest of the place is fine.

I have made a number of statements. All are accurate. If you object to statements, say what you think is wrong, rather than the kneejerk bogball reaction of deny, deny, deny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

That means the Aviva will be totally paid for in 9 years

That's great news for the IRFU!

They took the FAI for suckers in this deal, when the stadium is paid off ownership reverts to the IRFU.

No, I said the stand that away fans are put in is unsafe. The rest of the place is fine.

I have made a number of statements. All are accurate. If you object to statements, say what you think is wrong, rather than the kneejerk bogball reaction of deny, deny, deny.

Semantics, its still a stadium described by you as unsafe.
    Football is in a far healthier state (more people play the beautiful game than gaelic and hurling combined),

As said already, you are clearly contradicting yourself despite claiming to be factually accurate in everything you have said.

The bogball remark just shows your bias and inability to have an proper discussion on the matter. Why would I waste my time discussing this any further when its clear that you are going to argue your case like a crooked politician at a tribunal.

• Advertisement

Lets look at the facts.

- playing numbers down
    - attendences WAY down

Not a hope of (yet again) getting into this argument with you but do you think me and you will ever share a pint and discuss the good old days of the GAA and how, unfortunately, the organisation is dead? Not a hope!

Look back on attendances in the 1980s in the GAA and compare them to today. The last 10 years have been the most successful (in attendances) in the GAAs history. TV viewing figures are ridiculously high, playing numbers are down.

The GAA is in rude health - see you for a pint after the Dubs this summer?

Remind me again... what position did Louis Kilcoyne hold in the FAI after flogging your club to property developers?

Remind me again... what position did Louis Kilcoyne held in the FAI after flogging your club to property developers?

Agreed. Difference is he was hounded out of office, as were a load of chancers. When has anyone ever been removed from office in the Gah.

Not a hope of (yet again) getting into this argument with you but do you think me and you will ever share a pint and discuss the good old days of the GAA and how, unfortunately, the organisation is dead? Not a hope!

Who said dead? They FAI are the largest sports body on the island by any measure. There is no way that gaelic and hurling will go the way of handball, but there is potential for them to become much more of a minority sport than they are. In fact, hurling is in fairly dire straits at the moment.
    Look back on attendances in the 1980s in the GAA and compare them to today. The last 10 years have been the most successful (in attendances) in the GAAs history. TV viewing figures are ridiculously high, playing numbers are down.

But the last 3 years have been very poor compared to the last 7. While football and rugby have increased in that time

But at least we agree playing numbers are down
    The GAA is in rude health -

Financially? They are goosed. Either let clubs fold and lose the land or bail them out. The latter simply isn't viable.

see you for a pint after the Dubs this summer?

Hopefully sooner.

Agreed. Difference is he was hounded out of office, as were a load of chancers. When has anyone ever been removed from office in the Gah.

Eh presidential elections mean anything to you?

Anyway, I'll repeat myself what in the name of God should the GAA have to do with UEFA spreading TV rights money fairly? Talk about the positives of this deal. Not your narrow, biased views and obsession with talking down the GAA. You started all this with a childish stab at them in the OP.

I hate hobby horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

GOod man EB, I knew you would come to the light eventually.

It is interesting that the FAI are the only sports body who aren't allowed be assertive and strategic. The Gah routinely attack football, whether it be through the high court, switching training to clash with games leaving the kids caught in the middle, to spreading broken glass on football pitches. Yet when a football fan suggests that we are in a situation to hoover up talent at a time they are at their lowest ever ebb, the handwringers are out tut tutting.

Where did this happen? It is a very serious accusation to make.

Regarding switching of training to clash with games, in my experience that happens both ways between gaelic and soccer. In some cases gaelic has done it and in other cases soccer has done it and the incidents relate to the mentors more than the clubs themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dixiefly wrote: »
    Regarding switching of training to clash with games, in my experience that happens both ways between gaelic and soccer. In some cases gaelic has done it and in other cases soccer has done it and the incidents relate to the mentors more than the clubs themselves.

Dont get that myself with the amount of fat kids or pasty white Black Ops addicts, double training would be good for them.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Where did this happen? It is a very serious accusation to make.

Think it happened alright, was a scummy thing to be done by anyone. Apparently in ONYD case, a tar and a brush can be used though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Think it happened alright, was a scummy thing to be done by anyone. Apparently in ONYD case, a tar and a brush can be used though.

Thanks for your response but I am more interested in hearing from the one that made the accusation. Very easy to throw this stuff around on an anonymous internet forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement