Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Sell Qualification Rights for €10m a Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Suprised there wasn't a thread on this.

Basically the FAI were at the fore in getting a collective tv deal for qualification games that will net us €10m a year. Bravo Mr Delaney, a job very well done.

:confused: How do you know they were to the fore? because they said so? God love you.
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/fai-delight-at-tv-coup-2589321.html
    That means the Aviva will be totally paid for in 9 years and dramatically improve the FAI's cashflows.
    Cos Delaney said so? Right.:rolleyes:
    So will they increase prizemoney for the LoI, or continue to pump money into the grassroots to bury the Gah while they are in tatters? Hopefully they can afford to do both.

I thought you were a gaa supporter (not a fan of the organisastion, but of the games, no?) so why do you want them buried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I note that ohnoyoudidnt has not answered my query. Its very easy to throw out these accusations on a discussion board like this.

If onyd met their local gaelic or soccer people would he/ she be as trenchant in their views.

Instead of venting hate on a discussion forum he/ she should do what normal people do - get involved in your local soccer club and help it yourself to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

dixiefly wrote: »
    I note that ohnoyoudidnt has not answered my query. Its very easy to throw out these accusations on a discussion board like this.

It happened in Kerry on numerous occasions. Google it.

If onyd met their local gaelic or soccer people would he/ she be as trenchant in their views.
    Instead of venting hate on a discussion forum he/ she should do what normal people do - get involved in your local soccer club and help it yourself to develop.

I am involved in two 'soccer' clubs in a coaching capacity.

I was a county minor and played Sigerson in Gaelic.

Nice try.

:confused: How do you know they were to the fore? because they said so? God love you.

You know from the other place that I have a couple of contacts in the FAI and the meejia. Delaney was very much involved in the project.

Cos Delaney said so? Right.:rolleyes:

Sums add up. FAI's portion of Aviva was €120m. They will have earnt €90m from this particular tv stream. Assume its €150m including interest. That leaves them €60m over 9 years on top to find to clear the debt. €6.7m p.a is very achievable.
    I thought you were a gaa supporter (not a fan of the organisastion, but of the games, no?) so why do you want them buried?

Because it makes no odds to the Gah what standard their player is. There is no benchmark. It greatly matters to football. If football and rugby can get the cream of the players and leave the Gah the rest, it makes no odds to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Because it makes no odds to the Gah what standard their player is. There is no benchmark. It greatly matters to football. If football and rugby can get the cream of the players and leave the Gah the rest, it makes no odds to them.

Unsubstantiated nonsense.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Unsubstantiated nonsense.

How is it? If the standard of stickswinging falls, how will we know?

If the standard of football falls, we see european hammerings and less players from home make the International sides.

Ditto rugby.

It makes very little odds to the Gahliban what caliber of player they get. Its vital to the civilised games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Lord, what in the honour **** are you on about? You sound like someone with a massive chip on your shoulder. Were you dropped from a minor panel or something? Do you cry about it?

Never heard so much ****é spouted on one thread in my life.

God forbid we wouldn't care what the kids went out and played as long as they were doing something.

Oh and I'm a local U18 soccer coach and PRO of a GAA Club too; we're not all 'militant' like yourself ONYD. I don't know where you operate from but when I started training the kids I picked up the phone and spoke to the GAA manager about arranging training times etc.
    It is interesting that the FAI are the only sports body who aren't allowed be assertive and strategic. The Gah routinely attack football, whether it be through the high court, switching training to clash with games leaving the kids caught in the middle, to spreading broken glass on football pitches. Yet when a football fan suggests that we are in a situation to hoover up talent at a time they are at their lowest ever ebb, the handwringers are out tut tutting.

You make it sound like this is business and the numbers that play are customers. As for switching to clash games, that's a nonsense argument. Only the most narrowminded trainer would do that - maybe something yourself would do? :rolleyes: And in any case most kids choose the match over the training - no matter what the sport.

Lord, what in the honour **** are you on about? You sound like someone with a massive chip on your shoulder. Were you dropped from a minor panel or something? Do you cry about it?

God forbid we wouldn't care what the kids went out and played as long as they were doing something.

Oh and I'm a local U18 soccer coach and PRO of a GAA Club too; we're not all 'militant' like yourself ONYD. I don't know where you operate from but when I started training the kids I picked up the phone and spoke to the GAA manager about arranging training times etc.

You make it sound like this is business and the numbers that play are customers. As for switching to clash games, that's a nonsense argument. Only the most narrowminded trainer would do that - maybe something yourself would do? :rolleyes: And in any case most kids choose the match over the training - no matter what the sport.

Well said. Evryone i know involved in either soccer or gaa at underage level co operate fully in this regard. But the likes of ONYD wants us to believe that the opposite is the case all over the country.

How is it? If the standard of stickswinging falls, how will we know?

If the standard of football falls, we see european hammerings and less players from home make the International sides.

Ditto rugby.

It makes very little odds to the Gahliban what caliber of player they get. Its vital to the civilised games.

I suppose you have a point. If you are comparing chalk and cheese. You know well that GAA is an indigenous sport, where the international dimesion is collaborating, rather then competing with the domestic dimension.

You also know well that what constitutes "standards" is very different.

I think you have now trespassed into the realm of talking rubbish.

• Advertisement

"Wiseman say...one cannot be dropped from team of which they have never been picked for."

Of course I have a chip on my shoulder, as to most LoI fans after the Thomas Bigots fiasco.

I agree. But I would prefer them playing football for a whole hose of reasons.

Good for you. And I mean that. Because there are enough cranks and bigots in the Gah who won't, and indeed go out of their way to block kids playing other sports.

They are customers.

What sports body in Ireland has a long and proud tradition of narrowmindedness?

It is interesting that anyone who defends football on the Klu Klux Gah forum is axed, yet people have freedom on here to promote the agri-sports. More proof we are better than them.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I suppose you have a point. If you are comparing chalk and cheese. You know well that GAA is an indigenous sport,where the international dimesion is collaborating, rather then competing with the domestic dimension.

You also know well that what constitutes "standards" is very different.

I think you have now trespassed into the realm of talking rubbish.

Hurling is indiginious, gaelic isn't.

What does the bold mean? It doesn't read well.

Standards is standards. If only the fat kids in any class who couldn't make it playing other sports took up Gah, how would we tell the difference when they filtered through to the county setup?

It makes no difference how strong, fast, fit or talented their playing pool is. Its vital for other sports as we comptete with the rest of the world.

But we digress. My original point was this:

Which is what we have seen recently with players on the International side from Gah strongholds like Wexford, Tipp, Cavan etc is that football is slowly taking over as Irelands number one playing sport across the 32 counties. I hope the FAI can continue this work with this money. Thats not a controversial stance, despite the handwringing of the bigots.

Hurling is indiginious, gaelic isn't.

What does the bold mean? It doesn't read well.

Standards is standards. If only the fat kids in any class who couldn't make it playing other sports took up Gah, how would we tell the difference when they filtered through to the county setup?

It makes no difference how strong, fast, fit or talented their playing pool is. Its vital for other sports as we comptete with the rest of the world.

But we digress. My original point was this:

Which is what we have seen recently with players on the International side from Gah strongholds like Wexford, Tipp, Cavan etc is that football is slowly taking over as Irelands number one playing sport across the 32 counties. I hope the FAI can continue this work with this money. Thats not a controversial stance, despite the handwringing of the bigots.

"The international dimesion is collaborating, rather then competing with the domestic dimension". Read better for you ? Either way, you point is virtually incomprehensible and it is hardly worth debating. "Standards are standards". That means nothing. Your analogy of the "fat kid" means even less. The point is, just like in virtually every other sport, they dont filter through to the representative ranks.

handwringing of the bigots.
    It makes very little odds to the Gahliban
    the referee abducters
    the bogball forum.

Why do you see the need to ridicule the GAA and insult it's supporters on a regular basis? These few examples are just from this thread alone. You are well able to articulate your own arguments (however flawed they may be) without resorting to this childishness which has become tiresome at this stage. How you are let away with it is a mystery to me.

Why do you see the need to ridicule the GAA and insult it's supporters on a regular basis? These few examples are just from this thread alone. You are well able to articulate your own arguments (however flawed they may be) without resorting to this childishness which has become tiresome at this stage. How you are let away with it is a mystery to me.

Let away with what?

This is the FOOTBALL forum. I'm under no obligation to be nice about the bigots. If you don't like how the agri-sports are reffered to on this forum, tough. Anyone from another sports on the Gah forum get axed. You want detante, start with them.

• Advertisement

Let away with what?

This is the FOOTBALL forum. I'm under no obligation to be nice about the bigots. If you don't like how the agri-sports are reffered to on this forum, tough. Anyone from another sports on the Gah forum get axed. You want detante, start with them.

Actually it's the SOCCER forum.
    Why bring the GAA forum into it?? How that forum is run is of no concern to the soccer forum.

Actually it's the SOCCER forum.
    Why bring the GAA forum into it?? How that forum is run is of no concern to the soccer forum.

You did, inderectly.

If I chose to state facts about how the Gah is on a decline and my opinion about a cabal of sporting fascists, bigots, cranks and nutters who populate the Gah, that is my business and is tentatively related to football in a comparitive sense. How not to run a sport, and thank allah the FAI are going the opposite direction.

They very fact that you are running to the mods is telling. Its not a Gah forum here where dissent is banned. I am as critical of the Gah as I am FIFA, UEFA, the FAI. We have a culture in football of questioning and criticising our sports administrators. Deal with it. Not all Irishmen fall into line of the regressive trinity of FF, Church and Gah.

You did, inderectly.

How did i do that? I have rarely if ever posted in that forum and rarely go there.
    If I chose to state facts about how the Gah is on a decline and my opinion about a cabal of sporting fascists, bigots, cranks and nutters who populate the Gah, that is my business.

And by doing so you are insulting other posters who are also GAA fans.

They very fact that you are running to the mods is telling. Its not a Gah forum here where dissent is banned. I am as critical of the Gah as I am FIFA, UEFA, the FAI. We have a culture in football of questioning and criticising our sports administrators. Deal with it. Not all Irishmen fall into line of the regressive trinity of FF, Church and Gah.

Administrators in the GAA are of course regularly questioned and criticised within the organisation, so the soccer community is no different in that regard.

I have no problem with your criticisms of the GAA or any other sports body but the childish insults are getting boring at this stage. As for the last line re the holy trinity, i couldnt agree more but please dont lump all GAA people in together.

How did i do that? I have rarely if ever posted in that forum and rarely go there.

Good for you.
    And by doing so you are insulting other posters who are also GAA fans.

No, I am insulting the fascistic, bedwetting, bigots who we all agree are involved in the maladministration of Gaelic games. If some posters took that to mean them, thats their problem.

Administrators in the GAA are of course regularly questioned and criticised within the organisation, so the soccer community is no different in that regard.

No they aren't and you know it. The Gah is corrupt in a manner that would make the FAI of the 80's blush. I have never heard of one Gah administrator run out of it. If you know anyone in a Blanch based Gah club, ask them about a murder on their premisis and how come it stayed out of the press...
    I have no problem with your criticisms of the GAA or any other sports body but the childish insults are getting boring at this stage. As for the last line re the holy trinity, i couldnt agree more but please dont lump all GAA people in together.

I haven't lumped all Gah people in together. There are some extremely decent people in there doing great work. But your sport attracts and retains the nastiest type of right wing nutter who has no interest in sport.

So put me on ignore. Or ring Joe Duffy. I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It happened in Kerry on numerous occasions. Google it.

I am involved in two 'soccer' clubs in a coaching capacity.

I was a county minor and played Sigerson in Gaelic.

Nice try.

I will check it out, its not something that I ever of. It is horrendous if it did happen. If it happened in one area and done by a small number of people it should not be taken to reflect the wider GAA community.

You also seem to have a problem with the word soccer. What is your problem with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You also seem to have a problem with the word soccer. What is your problem with it?

Thats the culchie and american word for football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's reasonable enough to criticise GAA (in context) on a "soccer" forum.

If I see people slagging off soccer on a Gah forum, I just ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So other than CPOs and the Junior coaches being reinstated noone has any actual ideas on what they should spend it on.

The morro wants more beer trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How many players with Irish accents were on the pitch at the end tonight?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The morro wants more beer trains.

Subsidized posh beer 'football special' trains to LOI games now that we're flush.

amacachi wrote: »
    How many players with Irish accents were on the pitch at the end tonight?

westwood manchester
    Foley luton
    dunne tallaght
    O dea dublin?
    Kilbane england somewhere
    mc geady scotland
    fahey tallaght
    whelan clondalkin
    duff tallaght/bray
    mc carthy scotland
    Long tipp

westwood manchester
    Foley luton
    dunne tallaght
    O dea dublin?
    Kilbane england somewhere
    mc geady scotland
    fahey tallaght
    whelan clondalkin
    duff tallaght/bray
    mc carthy scotland
    Long tipp

Think duffer is from Churchtown but same thing obv...

stovelid wrote: »
    Think duffer is from Churchtown but same thing obv...

yeah tallaght

yeah tallaght

It's Rathfarnham/Dundrum mate, not the 'La.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ireland is synonymous with immigration, why bash players that are proud of their heritage?

Bash the Pennants and O'Haras but not those who jumped at the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ireland is synonymous with immigration, why bash players that are proud of their heritage?

Bash the Pennants and O'Haras but not those who jumped at the opportunity.

I'm not bashing them.

It's Rathfarnham/Dundrum mate, not the 'La.

Anything beyond newlands cross is tallaght :D

Anything beyond newlands cross is tallaght :D

Clondalkin is still your stomping ground but we seem to be even making inroads there these days... :)

Clondalkin is still your stomping ground but we seem to be even making inroads there these days... :)

Yup i promised 2 kids on my lads team i would bring them to Pats next week to turn from them from the Darkside, they were 1st timers at the Rovers Pats game.

Dont bank on all these new fans when circle of LOI life kicks in :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hoping to see realistic pricing levels after this deal. This 2 game thing can't work in times of recession. Price games more realistically, fill the stadium and take in the same money, at worst.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Dont bank on all these new fans when circle of LOI life kicks in :p

So many of them are kids that it actually fills me with hope. Like we all were but just more of them. Good times man.

Advertisement