Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Chain needed: help

Options
  • 22-03-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All, despite only 3 months and 1500km my chain is ****ed, so I need a new one. Its already snapped once and its about to go again, one link has partly slipped out. Haven't gone to fix it yet but will do later. Even if can fix it for the moment, want to have a replacement ready.

Bike is a Canyon Roadlite 6
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105

Give the spec it runs can anyone recommend a chain for it, I'm not too sure about the measurements etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any 10sp chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Some good discounts on chains in CRC! I bought a couple of the mavic chains which blorg says are re-badged wipperman chains.
    Just make sure you pay via Paypal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

+1 for the mavic chain, they give you a quick link as well. Didn't look like a wipperman chain (which is what I took off) to me, but I won't question blorg:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@ Cookie - you wont go wrong with the Mavic. I have a spare one here looking for a home if you want. Brand new in bag.

It looks very similar to the Wipperman 10S8 (pin and plate shape are identical) and comes with a Connex quick link, as used by Wipperman (i.e. the one with the little heart shape.) There are also plenty of other places on the web reporting it as made by Wipperman.

Needless to say as low as £9.08 is a better price than £27.21.

NOTE the quick link has a right and wrong way around and if you install it the wrong way around the chain will skip on an 11T cog. There is a mark indicating the correct orientation, it is quite subtle but clear if you are looking for it. My chains came with a piece of paper explaining this IIRC but a lot of people do it wrong and then blame the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bcmf bailed me out, thanks guys :)

I found the problem last nite too, a link starting to pull apart. pushed it back together with my chain breaker tool but don't think it's really a long term solution as is likely to become lose again.

That is most definitely not a long term solution, replace the chain ASAP. There is a fair chance it could snap suddenly when you are not expecting it. You can push the pins back in at least up to 7 speed but not on a 10-speed chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Damn you Murphy, Damn you.
    blorg wrote: »
    replace the chain ASAP. There is a fair chance it could snap suddenly when you are not expecting it.

should've listened :o

Decided to go out today, checked chain seemed fine, thought I'd risk it on more day. Started just up the back of Enniskerry to go up to Sallygap crossroads and back. Got up to the gap, Garda checkpoint and all, said Hi turned round in front of them and snapped the chain :rolleyes:
    Queue 15 mins of trying to jam it back together, during which time they had to speed off in chase of a naughty motorist who turned around when he saw then.
    Eventually got it back together minus two links and got home on restricted gearing.

Advertisement