Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant in Ennis?

• 22-03-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What's a good place to eat in Ennis? I've heard the Dining Room is supposed to be alright, any decent alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

What's a good place to eat in Ennis? I've heard the Dining Room is supposed to be alright, any decent alternatives?

The Town Hall, Old Ground Hotel.

Check out this thread, it may be of assistance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056149148&highlight=good+lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Yes, I second the Town Hall, fantastic place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Déjà vu all over again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's a few places in town where the food is pretty good, but there's nowhere that I'd really go out of my way to eat at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Top Five According to TripAdvisor:
    1. Town Hall
    2. Cloister
    3. Season's 52
    4. Knox's
    5. Rogue's

Looks about right imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 bannergirl

Depends on whether it is lunch or dinner I find.

Better options locally for lunch are Beehive, Brogans, Zest, Glor Cafe, Food Emporium, Rowan Tree whereas for dinner I find that there is nothing really that holds it's head above the rest....a few nice ethnic restaurants though.

Bunratty has a loverly cluster of eateries of you're willing to go a small bit out of town....

Had lunch the other week in that place next to Specsavers.. there was some other place there for years but it's under new ownership now. My meal was fantastic. Interesting menu as well more variety than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The Dining Room was closed so we did a lap of the town to find somewhere else. We went past the Town Hall and it was wedged, found Siciliano on the next street - very nice little Italian place.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i second the scilian, love it and have been going there since it opened, need to warm it up a bit as those gas supersurs are soooooo outdated.
    way nicer than milanos though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

+1 for town hall- great grub there.

croker95 wrote: »
    Top Five According to TripAdvisor:
    1. Town Hall
    2. Cloister
    3. Season's 52
    4. Knox's
    5. Rogue's

Looks about right imo.

I am a fan of Trip Advisor, but they still haven't gotten the hang of filtering shills. For example, the Cloister since the reopening a few months ago has quite possibly the worst food ever.

If you check the people who reviewed them, its like 12 people, 9 of which have had one review in the year since they joined, just Cloister. The others have two reviews, Cloister and a random Dublin pub.

Seems a bit suspect, considering if you check out Seasons 52, Knoxs, or Rogues you can see the reviewers all have dozens of reviews, not just a single place.

Thats another reason I am a fan of Yelp - they filter all reviews where the reviewer only posts a single review and never does a review again, no matter if it is good or bad. Trip Advisor needs to start doing the same as I am taking the family to Paris in a few weeks and I have noticed a few places in Trip Advisor there that have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

CptSternn wrote: »
    I am a fan of Trip Advisor, but they still haven't gotten the hang of filtering shills. For example, the Cloister since the reopening a few months ago has quite possibly the worst food ever.

Jaysus did someone in the cloister kick your dog or something? :P
    I actually had lunch there yesterday on the terrace cause it was sunny, and it was very good, i couldnt fault it.

Funnily enough i think the food in there has improved massively since it first opened when it was run by lads from dublin. When it first opened I had 2 bad experiences there, poor food and messed up my order both times. But I've been back around 3 times in the last year when i'm home and it had drastically improved.
    Btw when did it reopen?

As for Shills take a look in the mirror Capt Stern, You used to work in brandons as a bouncer and then put on yelp that its the" best thing in ennis".:D

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/brandons-ennis

Pot..Kettle etc. :cool:

Agree the food is much improved in the Cloister under the new management. The cheesy risotto thing I had there last time was delish.

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Btw when did it reopen?

I was in Dublin most of last year. When I moved back in January I went for lunch there with a couple mates who were visiting from the states, it was horrible sure. Got the roast beef and it was like trying to eat a plate of rubber bands.
    As for Shills take a look in the mirror Capt Stern, You used to work in brandons as a bouncer and then put on yelp that its the" best thing in ennis".:D

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/brandons-ennis

Pot..Kettle etc. :cool:

A shill is someone who posts only one single review, and it is done so by an employee or in many cases many single reviews all by the same employee from different accounts. Whenever you see a place that gets high reviews, but it all comes from people who just have a single review, and all were posted in a short time period, it's a sure sign of a shill.

I worked the door for two years, three years ago @ Brandons. I genuinely like the place, and more importantly, have over 100 other local reviews for other pubs and places in Ennis, many of which I rate just as high as Brandons, like Charlie Stewarts. If I had done one single review for Brandons and then did nothing else I could see you calling me a shill, but I think my profile speaks for itself.

Advertisement