Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

Hi

Was just wondering if Dun na Corribe would be suitable for a mature student going in to study Psychology next year in NUIG? I would be living there for 2 years at least so just want to be sure it's a nice enough estate.

I'm not worried about Rag week or anything just if it's constantly noisey that wouldn't suit really... Also how long would it take to walk to college from there? I'm thinkin 5-10mins?

And if you don't think Dun Na Corribe is nice then do you know of anywhere else that might suit?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Janee_ml2

I'm starting second year in September and looking for accomodation. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Gort na Glaise, distance from college/eyre square and if many students live there. Or if anyone has recommendations for places to look out for. Any info would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

Hi

Was just wondering if Dun na Corribe would be suitable for a mature student going in to study Psychology next year in NUIG? I would be living there for 2 years at least so just want to be sure it's a nice enough estate.

I'm not worried about Rag week or anything just if it's constantly noisey that wouldn't suit really... Also how long would it take to walk to college from there? I'm thinkin 5-10mins?

And if you don't think Dun Na Corribe is nice then do you know of anywhere else that might suit?

Thanks

Dun Na Corribe is one of the nicer places to live in Galway for students, despite being a little more expensive than other places I haven't heard anyone complaining about living there.
    Noise shouldn't really be an issue unless you're unfortunate to have noisy neighbours, but you get that risk anywhere. From my experience it's always been really pleasant!
    To get to college there's a 15 minute walk which is pretty decent (It's also fairly close to town and shops like Dunnes and Tesco), though the downside is the bridge that you have to cross to get there, I know a few people who lived out that way this year and they cursed the bridge on rainy, windy mornings.
    Definitely still worth it though, I'm hoping to live there myself this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CrayCray

So is anyone looking for a house really close to college?me and one of the lads have a spare bedroom in our house and wondering is anyone interested?

we're 2 decent easygoing countrylads who are up for the laugh and a bitta study as well!

we're going into second year but if your a first year either looking for somewhere pm me as well sure!

is der any post grad blocks in the student accommodations, I’m just really confused on where I should book?

Most of the student accommodation in Galway is filled with undergrads, If you want to ensure that you'll live with more mature students I'd suggest maybe sharing a house with a few people. You can find people to share with on daft under the ''sharing'' section. Houses do tend to be a fair bit cheaper too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Is it possible that any of the accommodation that's book out now, could have some spaces available when the courses are offered? I never booked my place because I was fully sure I would be going to NUIG, but now I'm certain and the acc. seem to be fully booked. What are the recommended places for 1st years, besides Corrib Village? I like Cuirt and Gort na Coiribe but they seem to be booked out, although there is a waiting list. Will I need to pay a deposit if I go on the waiting list? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm trying to sort this out sooner rather than later! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Normally you don't pay a deposit if you're only on the waiting list

ciano1 wrote: »
    Normally you don't pay a deposit if you're only on the waiting list

Stupid question I'm sure but how do I get on the waiting list? Should I call them or mail the application? I saw the app. for Gort and it said I need an NUIG ID no. and I was like wutt :eek:

Lucario wrote: »
    Stupid question I'm sure but how do I get on the waiting list? Should I call them or mail the application? I saw the app. for Gort and it said I need an NUIG ID no. and I was like wutt :eek:

NUIG ID's are the same as your CAO number so put that down.
    You have to post in the form with 2 passport photos and no deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

Lucario wrote: »
    Is it possible that any of the accommodation that's book out now, could have some spaces available when the courses are offered? I never booked my place because I was fully sure I would be going to NUIG, but now I'm certain and the acc. seem to be fully booked. What are the recommended places for 1st years, besides Corrib Village? I like Cuirt and Gort na Coiribe but they seem to be booked out, although there is a waiting list. Will I need to pay a deposit if I go on the waiting list? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm trying to sort this out sooner rather than later! :pac:

I would apply to both places as soon as you can. I was placed on the Gort waiting list in April last year but didn't get a place (got Cuirt instead). If you do get offered both you can just cancel one of them. I'm sure places do become available once the offers come out. As far as I can remember I didn't have to pay a deposit for Gort as I was going onto the waiting list.

• Advertisement

tweniebaby wrote: »
    I would apply to both places as soon as you can. I was placed on the Gort waiting list in April last year but didn't get a place (got Cuirt instead). If you do get offered both you can just cancel one of them. I'm sure places do become available once the offers come out. As far as I can remember I didn't have to pay a deposit for Gort as I was going onto the waiting list.

Yeah I just checked and Gort doesn't require a deposit right now. However I rang Cuirt and they have places available so I'll still have to pay the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nizamr11

Where is a good student residence to live for a 23 year old doing a masters? Don't mind undergrads, some noise and some craic, but would like to have some like-aged people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ETKM123

So my friend and I are two international students from the U.S. and I cannot, for the life of me, find and apartment that is willing to rent from the end of aug to mid-december. Ideally we are looking for an apartment with two bedrooms but are willing to do a house share too. I've already checked out Corrib Village and the other housing complexes like it (Gort na Coiribe is full) and they are all pretty expensive and we'd like to guarantee we live together. I've been looking for months and have had no luck. I've pretty much exhausted the listings on daft.ie. Does anyone know anyone or anywhere that needs roommates or is renting just for the fall term?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 F_Gillespie

Anyone know if there are five bedroom houses available to rent in Dun na Coiribe? I know that there's none advertised at the moment, just wondering if such houses even exist.

Anyone know if there are five bedroom houses available to rent in Dun na Coiribe? I know that there's none advertised at the moment, just wondering if such houses even exist.

One pops up on daft every now and again so they do exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MsLake

Anyone starting a postgrad at NUIG? or know anything about suitable accommodation(quiet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

ETKM123 wrote: »
    So my friend and I are two international students from the U.S. and I cannot, for the life of me, find and apartment that is willing to rent from the end of aug to mid-december. Ideally we are looking for an apartment with two bedrooms but are willing to do a house share too. I've already checked out Corrib Village and the other housing complexes like it (Gort na Coiribe is full) and they are all pretty expensive and we'd like to guarantee we live together. I've been looking for months and have had no luck. I've pretty much exhausted the listings on daft.ie. Does anyone know anyone or anywhere that needs roommates or is renting just for the fall term?

You can try Dunaras..If you tell them your international students they have certain available apartments for semesterised students and you can get a double room (double bed) or a twin room (two single beds) where you will definitely get your friend and you to live together. www.dunaras.ie :)

MsLake wrote: »
    Anyone starting a postgrad at NUIG? or know anything about suitable accommodation(quiet!)

Menlo is slightly further away from the college (the other side of Gort) and is said to be slightly quieter, Dunaras is also said to be pretty quiet due to the distance! I have booked dunaras for the reason that it's slightly quieter, and Im doing Psychology so need to be able to get my work and all done. Im going into 2nd year btw! It is said to be quieter though!

I know a postgrad who stayed in Corrib Village last year, just ask to b put into the international block and it'll be way quieter than the others. Last year, it was block H and it was really quiet and very good for study and sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Hey everyone, I'll be going to NUIG in September to study undem. science/biomedical science, and I was wondering what the pros and cons are of student vs. private accommodation. I was considering getting private accommodation as I've heard that it can be better value for money, and because I'd prefer to stay in a quiet environment, something student accommodation isn't known for. Although Gort and Cuirt na Coiribe look great, I think they're booked up for the academic year. Thanks for any and all help :)

Here's my 2 cents anyway.. From my experiences of living in Gort

Student Accommodation
    Pro's
    - Generally closer to college
    - Guaranteed to be living with other students
    - Most of them are in decent areas of Galway so it's grand to walk home alone after nights out
    - I found Gort to be very quick with dealing with maintenance issues
    - No bills to worry about since everything is paid in advance

Cons
    - Expensive.. They're pretty much all ~€105 a week for a single room
    - Depending on where ya live, it can get VERY noisy. Generally from 10:00 to midnight when there are house parties and then again at around 2:30 when people are arriving back from the clubs. I was fairly lucky because I lived in one of the quietest corners of Gort though.
    - Some of them have stupid f*cking retarded rules such as restrictions as to having friends over after a certain time with security guards at the gates.
    (Cuirt and Corrib are notorious for this. Gort is grand though, people can come and go as they want).
    - The fact that most of the rent has to be paid in advance can be off putting for people too.
    - Lack of washing machines in a lot of them is a bit crap, have to use the f*cking on-site laundrette instead.
    - The horrible walk over the quincentennial bridge to college from Gort/Cuirt :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

ciano1 wrote: »
    Here's my 2 cents anyway.. From my experiences of living in Gort

Student Accommodation
    Pro's
    - Generally closer to college
    - Guaranteed to be living with other students
    - Most of them are in decent areas of Galway so it's grand to walk home alone after nights out
    - I found Gort to be very quick with dealing with maintenance issues
    - No bills to worry about since everything is paid in advance

Cons
    - Expensive.. They're pretty much all ~€105 a week for a single room
    - Depending on where ya live, it can get VERY noisy. Generally from 10:00 to midnight when there are house parties and then again at around 2:30 when people are arriving back from the clubs. I was fairly lucky because I lived in one of the quietest corners of Gort though.
    - Some of them have stupid f*cking retarded rules such as restrictions as to having friends over after a certain time with security guards at the gates.
    (Cuirt and Corrib are notorious for this. Gort is grand though, people can come and go as they want).
    - The fact that most of the rent has to be paid in advance can be off putting for people too.
    - Lack of washing machines in a lot of them is a bit crap, have to use the f*cking on-site laundrette instead.
    - The horrible walk over the quincentennial bridge to college from Gort/Cuirt

I'm going to be staying in Gort this year so that was pretty helpful thanks. Although the more I hear about this bridge, well.... :(

Can I ask a quick question about their policy on guests, what's the story if you want to have a friend stay after a night out or whatever, is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Cocolola wrote: »
    I'm going to be staying in Gort this year so that was pretty helpful thanks. Although the more I hear about this bridge, well.... :(

Can I ask a quick question about their policy on guests, what's the story if you want to have a friend stay after a night out or whatever, is that allowed?

The walk over the bridge is fine, the only problem is it's exposed.

As for guests, when the girlfriend needed to get me in after security was around (9-11pm onwards) she had to get a form, have all her housemates sign it, and fill in guests' name, address and phone number. Sometimes security checked, sometimes they didn't - depended on the night really.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

Stayed in Gort last year, rebooked again for this year. :)
    90% of the time you're grand as regards guests coming and going without any notice being taken. The only time we had any trouble was rag week when they had security on the gates.

May I add...that bridge seems to have its own climate some days :/

Cocolola wrote: »

There's NO restrictions on guests.. The place is open all the time except for rag week when they put up security gates and have security waiting there.

Even then, all you need to do to get somebody in is give them a lend of your keycard, that's all they look for

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Cool, thanks for that. So it's pretty much up to your housmates then. That's grand, seems fair :)

MsLake wrote: »

I would really advise against staying in Corrib Village, although you'd be put in a quieter block, you'll be swimming in drunken 18 year olds and that's only fun if you're a drunken 18 year old yourself. Good for first years but nothing more.

I'd advise going private rather than staying in student accommodation to be honest, you'll get much more value for your money and it'll be much more peaceful.
    Check out the ''sharing'' section on Daft.ie and make sure to look at where the properties are on the map so you don't end up living out in Barna! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 WhoSays

Just looking for a 3rd person to share a house with a 2nd year BCL student and a 3rd year Engineering student. Anyone will do!!! Please get to me ASAP...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I am looking for a room, either double or single, for less then 300 quid a month. Anyone have any idea if anyone from NUIG (or in general) is looking for a housemate? i am a clean, well-mannered, non-partying 3rd year student.

Hey everyone, I'll be going to NUIG in September to study undem. science/biomedical science, and I was wondering what the pros and cons are of student vs. private accommodation. I was considering getting private accommodation as I've heard that it can be better value for money, and because I'd prefer to stay in a quiet environment, something student accommodation isn't known for. Although Gort and Cuirt na Coiribe look great, I think they're booked up for the academic year. Thanks for any and all help :)

Dunaras is good, from what I've heard...It's further away, with a bus though and is a lot quieter due to the distance...it is around the same price as other student accom but the bus is an added bonus.. Im going into 2nd year and have booked it for this year!!

Hope you get something suitable!! :)

• Advertisement

Only problem with the Dunaras bus is that the bus supposedly runs at awkward times for lectures.

As far as distance goes, it's about 20 walk from dunaras to college and 25 to the sparch.

Area isn't too bad apart from the apparently dodgy estates across the road.

Advertisement