Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

Does anyone else find it much harder this year to find a place compared to last? A letting agent told me that there are a lot more mature students this year and they will always get preference to houses :o It's extremely annoying when agents treat you like dirt once they realise you are a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

Is the only on campus accommodation for first years corrib? are we not allowed to apply to any of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

Kelix wrote: »
    Is the only on campus accommodation for first years corrib? are we not allowed to apply to any of the others?

No you can apply to any of them. Most first years would choose Corrib

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

tweniebaby wrote: »
    No you can apply to any of them. Most first years would choose Corrib
    why do most first years pick corrib? If I go somewhere else will it be all 2nd, 3rd and 4th years?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

why do most first years pick corrib? If I go somewhere else will it be all 2nd, 3rd and 4th years?

Corrib promotes itself as first year accommodation. If your not into parties and general mayhem, then don't pick it. Other places would have a fair amount of first years, and they place you with other first years anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Nope I stayed in Dunaras last year which is quite a bit out but there was definatly more 1st years that anyone else. Cuirt would be the same, Gort however in my experience would be more 2nd and 3rd years and the likes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anyone looking for a housemate? Check the link in my sig below or my thread in the student accommodation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

ciano1 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a housemate? Check the link in my sig below or my thread in the student accommodation forum

I might be but wont know till Monday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Does anyone else find it much harder this year to find a place compared to last? A letting agent told me that there are a lot more mature students this year and they will always get preference to houses :o It's extremely annoying when agents treat you like dirt once they realise you are a student.
    I personally wouldn't recommend going with an agent. I've heard horror stories of people getting screwed over by them, not getting deposits back, hard to get a hold of, broken things not being replaced etc etc. I've always tried to deal privately but keep an eye on Daft and the Advertiser. You may have to up your budget though to find anywhere decent. Rents seem to have gone up a good bit this year, or is that just me? :/
    Corrib tends to be where all the first year parties are. It's a dive, but apparently that's part of the attraction. Don't expect to get any study done there. Best thing to do is go somewhere else, but go to Corrib for the craic. At least then you're not left with cleaning up the mess.

Other places have no problem accepting first years, it's just first years tend to gravitate towards Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ogmi07

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. Can anyone tell me what the chance are of me being in the same apartment in Corrib with my girlfriend if she applies for a twin standard, as does her best friend, and i apply for a double standard, and we all put each others names on the forms to share?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I'm afraid that's up to Corrib themselves. I doubt anybody who works there will comment here about the odds of getting the same place together. Your best bet to find out is to contact them yourself and you'll get a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ogmi07

Thanks for the reply Roland. The last thing i want is to leave it to chance and her ending up with a random guy in the room with her so we're still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

ogmi07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Roland. The last thing i want is to leave it to chance and her ending up with a random guy in the room with her so we're still looking.
    Jealous much? Her and her friend will definitely get a twin room together, you most likely won't be in the same apartment unfortunately. But like, I wouldn't be worrying. Unless you don't trust her.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Staying in Dunaras myself, I'm a first year so if anybody would divulge any info that would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

Staying in Dunaras myself, I'm a first year so if anybody would divulge any info that would be greatly appreciated :)

Had a few friends living there last year, absolutely lovely apartments!
    The only downside I can see to living there is the location, it's about a 25 minute walk from college but you'll have the Dunáras shuttle bus to run you in and out most of the time.

Heading out at night will mean relying on taxis though, that's not a walk home that you'll want to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

How far away is Gort na Coiribe from the college? And also town? Like would you be able to walk in/out on nights out?

Lucario wrote: »
    How far away is Gort na Coiribe from the college? And also town? Like would you be able to walk in/out on nights out?

Bout 10 mins from town and 15 from college.
    Yes, I always stumble home after nights out! :p

And do you plan on stumbling back to Glen Dara every night this year then too? :D

And no encounters with people in bushes? ;):D

Are you going into 1st year btw?

Megglet wrote: »
    And do you plan on stumbling back to Glen Dara every night this year then too? :D

Nope, but I plan on stumbling back to wherever I live! :L
    And no encounters with people in bushes? ;):D

Are you going into 1st year btw?

No? What kind of encounters do you have in mind? :p
    Oh, and this will be my 3rd year in Galway!

• Advertisement

Nope, but I plan on stumbling back to wherever I live! :L

No? What kind of encounters do you have in mind? :p
    Oh, and this will be my 3rd year in Galway!

The psycho knife-wielding kind >.> :rolleyes:

Ah you must be talking about Bob, he's lovely once you get to know him!
    Absolute dote. :D

Naah, but there's a 24 hour tesco on the way so you can do some drunk shopping!

Naah, but there's a 24 hour tesco on the way so you can do some drunk shopping!

Nice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

I posted earlier about looking for accomodation - sorry guys am staying in the capital. I was looking forward to going to Galway for the crack but my head is telling me to stay in Dublin...

Mad Shark wrote: »
    I posted earlier about looking for accomodation - sorry guys am staying in the capital. I was looking forward to going to Galway for the crack but my head is telling me to stay in Dublin...

Follow your heart young padawan! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm staying there too! :D first year as well, and I've heard great things about it, it's just a bit of a walk to the city and college

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JoannaJay

Does anyone know anything about menlo park apartments ?? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

JoannaJay wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about menlo park apartments ?? :):)

I've heard a few complaints about the lad who runs it, apparently he isn't the soundest buck that ever lived, but the location is good I've heard, just be careful with the bats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JoannaJay

martyos121 wrote: »
    I've heard a few complaints about the lad who runs it, apparently he isn't the soundest buck that ever lived, but the location is good I've heard, just be careful with the bats
    Bats?:eek:

Advertisement