Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I lived with 6 others in a house this year. Never again. The amount of shíte that went on was unbelievable. 'twas my own fault for being so naive that people could actually, you know, be nice and live together. Unless you're moving in with really close friends, keep it to 4 max in a house, 3 preferably.

I wouldn't pay 90pw for that. Unless it's on Distillery Road with bills included, you're asking too much. And btw, it's quite clear you're advertising but kudos on trying to make us buy it's "research".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

boardzz wrote: »
    No it's not owner occupied. I want to rent a place and i'm looking for people to share with.
    RolandIRL wrote: »
    And btw, it's quite clear you're advertising but kudos on trying to make us buy it's "research".

He even put an ad up for it in the third-level accommodation thread. :pac:

Ficheall wrote: »
    He even put an ad up for it in the third-level accommodation thread. :pac:

And plugging those pics provided into Google Images gives results for a, guess what, B&B. *le sigh* And it's even ages away from college. At least Dunaras put on a shuttle bus, wonder what this place provides that makes it worth 90pw that far away. I'll be paying ~83pw when I move into my place in town and only that I just wanted a place sorted, I'm sure I could have gotten way cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

RolandIRL wrote: »
    wonder what this place provides that makes it worth 90pw that far away.

Coke and Hookers I would hope, and possibly a butler!

Seriously though, I'd imagine the owner is trying to flog it off as being on Threadneedle Road or something?

Not a chance in hell I'd live out that far. It's just a hassle for getting into town if you're going for a bus home that you've all your stuff with you. You can't bring your bike and city buses can be a nightmare with times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

boardzz wrote: »
    No it's not owner occupied. I want to rent a place and i'm looking for people to share with.
    where abouts you renting?

skinny90 wrote: »
    where abouts you renting?

That post is referencing a since deleted post. Asking 90pw out past Dunaras. Don't go with it, you'll find much cheaper much closer to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patrick1993

Well :D I'm heading into second in two weeks and I've left sorting the accommodation until the last last minute. Most of the student residencies seem either full or too far away, so cuirt seems my only option...Just wondering is there many second years in cuirt? I've heard it's strict ...any solutions would be appreciated. Cheers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ILLY_Bee

Well :D I'm heading into second in two weeks and I've left sorting the accommodation until the last last minute. Most of the student residencies seem either full or too far away, so cuirt seems my only option...Just wondering is there many second years in cuirt? I've heard it's strict ...any solutions would be appreciated. Cheers. :p

im only going into 1st year but i rang cuirt on tuesday and they are all booked up!

Yeah I rang them there no luck. The said there's the option of going on a waiting list...but that's all a load of ****e too. Centre point seems okay just that distance is crazy. What you planning on doing now?

• Advertisement

Yeah I rang them there no luck. The said there's the option of going on a waiting list...but that's all a load of ****e too. Centre point seems okay just that distance is crazy. What you planning on doing now?

i got accommodation in dunaras! you should try there! seems lovely and they have a bus service to and from college for free.. i was up yesterday looking at it and it literally only took me like 6 mins to get to the college in a car so i say the bus journey is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Anyone have their accommodation at Dunaras fully sorted at this stage? I have the license agreement sent off along with all the payments due, but no word back or anything, kinda worried at this stage. :/

martyos121 wrote: »
    Anyone have their accommodation at Dunaras fully sorted at this stage? I have the license agreement sent off along with all the payments due, but no word back or anything, kinda worried at this stage. :/

i have the same stuff as you sorted and i called them once the fees are paid
    they will contact you they said

ILLY_Bee wrote: »
    i have the same stuff as you sorted and i called them once the fees are paid
    they will contact you they said

Ah right, yeah, I just have a bank transfer sent off and I'm in a bit of an e-mail war with them at the moment, I'm sure I'll get it sorted eventually. Look forward to seeing everyone :D

Dunaras is prob full of first years I'd say. I'll ring them anyways and see. Need some where to live.

Accommodation all sorted in Dunaras now! Roll on college! :D

Huh? €75 for a room share isn't good value anywhere!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cracknafobia

anyone else on a waitin list for corrib !have to wait til monday to c if people start droppin out!looked at digs and amhra house aint too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nestunda

did you find it hard to make friends? where did you live? etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

I lived in Gort in first year in a house with four other random first years, had an absolute ball :)

• Advertisement

Lived in Gort in first year. Twas a good laugh, plenty of first years there!
    You have to remember that there ~3000 incoming first years and only 750-800 live in Corrib.

The vast majority of first years DON'T live in Corrib!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

ciano1 wrote: »
    Lived in Gort in first year. Twas a good laugh, plenty of first years there!
    You have to remember that there ~3000 incoming first years and only 750-800 live in Corrib.

The vast majority of first years DON'T live in Corrib!

Exactly!
    Gort is brilliant and tbh it's not half as strict as Corrib, no problem with anyone coming and going
    Plus you can always go to Corrib for the parties...great to have someplace nice to come home to afterwards :L

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I didn't live in Corrib for my first year — thank fuck. I lived in Cuirt Na Coiribe for the duration of the year, to be honest student accommodation isn't really my dice so I probably wouldn't be the best person to ask if you want a typical first years' opinion on it. But what I can say is that it does the job when it comes to accommodation for students, it's only about a 10 minute walk from across the river to the college, you'll likely be thrown in with students in the same year as you and if you're lucky none of them will know each other, you could then start off afresh between the whole household. To be fair, if you're planning to spend your time at college with your old friends from back home or wherever, then you're wasting it.

Cuirt is a bit expensive, the sound proofing is, well, not sound proof, and it is quite likely you'll have loud dickheads living in your block, but other than that if you keep your own area clean it's a decent quality place to live. The river is a fecking pain in the arse to cross in high wind speeds and rain, but if you don't have the appropriate clothing for the weather in Galway then how did you manage to pass your LC in the first place?

Nailz wrote: »
    I didn't live in Corrib for my first year — thank fuck. I lived in Cuirt Na Coiribe for the duration of the year, to be honest student accommodation isn't really my dice so I probably wouldn't be the best person to ask if you want a typical first years' opinion on it. But what I can say is that it does the job when it comes to accommodation for students, it's only about a 10 minute walk from across the river to the college, you'll likely be thrown in with students in the same year as you and if you're lucky none of them will know each other, you could then start off afresh between the whole household. To be fair, if you're planning to spend your time at college with your old friends from back home or wherever, then you're wasting it.

You're not a typical first year? What makes you so unique? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

ciano1 wrote: »
    You're not a typical first year? What makes you so unique? :p
    The fact that I'm so fucking awesome! :pac:

Well, I don't know actually, I don't wear Hollister, I don't do Arts and I don't like nightclubs... That's it I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

I went up to Dun Aras, and the place is nice but so expensive. The place seems like a prison.. No music after 10pm, no vistitors after 12, etc etc.

I just booked a single in Centrepoint Apartments. There are 57 other first years like me here, seems pretty nice, be my friends plz guys. :S

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    I went up to Dun Aras, and the place is nice but so expensive. The place seems like a prison.. No music after 10pm, no vistitors after 12, etc etc.

I just booked a single in Centrepoint Apartments. There are 57 other first years like me here, seems pretty nice, be my friends plz guys. :S

im living their for first year and when i read all the rules i asked were they serious and they said they are not strict about it!.. once you let the security know youre having friends stay the night and once no one complains about you being too loud they dont mind! my friends know people who stayed there and they said they actually are not strict at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bluepolicebox

I've got Dunaras booked for first year. I have never stepped foot in Galway before and I literally don't know a soul going to NUIG, does anyone know if it's easy to get to know people living in Dunaras?

I've got Dunaras booked for first year. I have never stepped foot in Galway before and I literally don't know a soul going to NUIG, does anyone know if it's easy to get to know people living in Dunaras?

im only going into 1st year too but im sure its fairly easy to make friends! all first years are in the same block so it shouldnt be too bad! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bluepolicebox

ILLY_Bee wrote: »
    im only going into 1st year too but im sure its fairly easy to make friends! all first years are in the same block so it shouldnt be too bad! :D

That's true. Thanks! It's just nerves, I guess :)

Advertisement