Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ILLY_Bee

That's true. Thanks! It's just nerves, I guess :)

no problem! think we are all in the same boat really! im fairly nervous about going up because like you i dont no anyone but im sure we will all settle in fine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

ILLY_Bee wrote: »
    im living their for first year and when i read all the rules i asked were they serious and they said they are not strict about it!.. once you let the security know youre having friends stay the night and once no one complains about you being too loud they dont mind! my friends know people who stayed there and they said they actually are not strict at all!

Oh right cool, they just sounded pretty strict to me and it turned me off, and they're pretty expensive in Dun Aras but they have a free bus. :cool:

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    Oh right cool, they just sounded pretty strict to me and it turned me off, and they're pretty expensive in Dun Aras but they have a free bus. :cool:

oh they sounded strict to me too at first but glad i asked about it! I didnt think they were that expensive i thought they were a pretty good price compared to others i was looking at! where did you end up getting for accommodation?

oh they sounded strict to me too at first but glad i asked about it! I didnt think they were that expensive i thought they were a pretty good price compared to others i was looking at! where did you end up getting for accommodation?

I think it totalled to like 6000 for the year. :eek: I got it in centrepoint, little far out but I don't really care, came to 4000 for the year.

I think it totalled to like 6000 for the year. :eek: I got it in centrepoint, little far out but I don't really care, came to 4000 for the year.

WHAT??? :eek: that cant be right! im only paying like a little over 4000!!
    i herd centrepoint is nice!

• Advertisement

WHAT??? :eek: that cant be right! im only paying like a little over 4000!!
    i herd centrepoint is nice!
    Wait, my mother says it was just over 5k. Still expensive, but yeah centrepoint is lovely in comparison to the other ****holes in the private accommodation.

Wait, my mother says it was just over 5k. Still expensive, but yeah centrepoint is lovely in comparison to the other ****holes in the private accommodation.

well i wouldnt be paying 5k for accommodation and when i went in with my mom they gave me all the prices and it was the cheapest one we found... they are clearly lying to one of us!! ha
    i didnt even look at centepoint tbh but i only hear good things!
    Sure lets be honest any of the off campus accommodations are miles better than Corrib, i know a lot of first years are/want to go there (so did i at first) but in all fairness it is not the greatest and its more expensive ha

well i wouldnt be paying 5k for accommodation and when i went in with my mom they gave me all the prices and it was the cheapest one we found... they are clearly lying to one of us!! ha
    i didnt even look at centepoint tbh but i only hear good things!
    Sure lets be honest any of the off campus accommodations are miles better than Corrib, i know a lot of first years are/want to go there (so did i at first) but in all fairness it is not the greatest and its more expensive ha

Hahaha maybe so, was the stout man showing you around too? :confused:
    I went into Corrib but completely booked out, although it may be party central I hear stories about the room walls being paper thin and damp and generally icky. :pac:

Hahaha maybe so, was the stout man showing you around too? :confused:
    I went into Corrib but completely booked out, although it may be party central I hear stories about the room walls being paper thin and damp and generally icky. :pac:

nope! was a girl showing me around! ha
    yeah i applied to corrib before the results and when i called monday they were completely booked too! ive also herd the same stories about the place too! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patrick1993

So any of ye guys left to find accommodation or are ye all sorted? ..Wouldn't mind centrepoint just seems an awful distance. 25 mins walk to both town and college.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

you can get a room in a house for around 2500 for the year

yous are paying crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banahan25

my roomate moved out and I wondering is 100 a week too much to charge for a place in Taylors hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

banahan25 wrote: »
    my roomate moved out and I wondering is 100 a week too much to charge for a place in Taylors hill?

Yes. Unless it includes all bills then it's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Clarke94

Was just wondering if anyone else had paid for their accommodation in Corrib & hadn't heard anything back? Getting a bit worried as I paid on Tuesday, but still havent gotten any email/letter off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭m3lani3xx

im only going into 1st year too but im sure its fairly easy to make friends! all first years are in the same block so it shouldnt be too bad! :D

That's true. Thanks! It's just nerves, I guess :)

Also goin into first year,staying in centrepoint and I'm so nervous about the whole thing!Im even nervous about the day I'm moving because I could be first there or last..when are you moving down?

Clarke94 wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone else had paid for their accommodation in Corrib & hadn't heard anything back? Getting a bit worried as I paid on Tuesday, but still havent gotten any email/letter off them!

Well I can't speak for corrib but I paid for centrepoint either Monday or Tuesday myself and havnt heard anything back, but if you paid your room is secure and you should hear back before moving day :)

I went up to Dun Aras, and the place is nice but so expensive. The place seems like a prison.. No music after 10pm, no vistitors after 12, etc etc.

I just booked a single in Centrepoint Apartments. There are 57 other first years like me here, seems pretty nice, be my friends plz guys. :S

ill be your friend :cool: im staying in centrepointand i do not know anyone! I was also really worried about the amount of first years starying there so i asked :pac: also im in a twin room so i have to share a bedroom with someone i have never met before :eek:scary stuff but im sure well all settle in fine.Arnt first years all in the same block of apartments? Im sure well run into each other at some point :)

Emer19 wrote: »
    Hello, wondering if any prospective NUI Galway students are staying in centrepoint apartments this year? I dont know anyone yet so I'd like to get in touch. :)

Name: Emer
    Sex: Female
    Studying: BA Arts International

Hey :) im also studying arts though no international :P im taking spanish, geography, psychology and soc and pol studies :) im stayin in centrepoint and wouldnt mind getting in touch with a few people before heading down, peace of mind and all that :D

name: Melanie
    Sex:Female

see you there!

So i've been searching on boards about centrepoint and comparing it to their website.

On the website it says its a 25 minute walk to the university but people on boards have said its a good 40 minute walk.. i was wondering which is right or is it all about how fast you walk? really just trying to get as much information on the place..good and bad because whatever i find out at this stage it doesnt matter..room booked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Get a bike, you'll be there in around 10 minutes.

On foot around 25 minutes sounds good if you've got your skates on!

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Get a bike, you'll be there in around 10 minutes.

On foot around 25 minutes sounds good if you've got your skates on!

i was never very good on a bike..going straight near cars is about it :pac: turning makes me nervous around cars :O i start to and then my head is like "you gon' dieeee" and i freak :pac: skates sounds good though!

or..are you near cars? i dont know much abot the route to and from nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

if you're all the way out there in order to save on rent costs, any savings you make will be wiped out by transportation costs. if you're on foot, may as well be closer to the college/center of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

My room mate this year lived there for first and second year. Nice apartments and there was always good banter about. The walk is close to 30 mins at a regular pace.

Nobody ever drove (well thats not entirely true but most people never drove). The walk isn't too bad just invest in a rain jacket and a locker for it.

m3lani3xx wrote: »
    Also goin into first year,staying in centrepoint and I'm so nervous about the whole thing!Im even nervous about the day I'm moving because I could be first there or last..when are you moving down?

im the same! im moving on the 1st so thats saturday! have a strong feeling i will be the first person in my place but its the only day i can actually move up because my parents cant get time off work to help me during the week! seriously nervous! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

i was never very good on a bike..going straight near cars is about it :pac: turning makes me nervous around cars :O i start to and then my head is like "you gon' dieeee" and i freak :pac: skates sounds good though!

or..are you near cars? i dont know much abot the route to and from nuig

70% of the way to NUIG (assuming you'll be crossing the bridge) is all cycle paths and you'd have no danger from traffic. Everyone is nervous about cycling on the roads, heck I still am at points but you get used to it.

im the same! im moving on the 1st so thats saturday! have a strong feeling i will be the first person in my place but its the only day i can actually move up because my parents cant get time off work to help me during the week! seriously nervous! ha

im thinking of moving up the 1st too! simply because im in a twin room and i would really like first choice in beds :pac: but i live hours away and were going down the 1st to check everything out and i dont see the point in going home only to go back down a few days later.see ya then so :D

aido179 wrote: »
    My room mate this year lived there for first and second year. Nice apartments and there was always good banter about. The walk is close to 30 mins at a regular pace.

Nobody ever drove (well thats not entirely true but most people never drove). The walk isn't too bad just invest in a rain jacket and a locker for it.

thanks 30 minutes isnt really so bad and i like to walk so it wont bother me too much...however when it rains i think it will be a day for the bus:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

dmcg90 wrote: »
    70% of the way to NUIG (assuming you'll be crossing the bridge) is all cycle paths and you'd have no danger from traffic. Everyone is nervous about cycling on the roads, heck I still am at points but you get used to it.

I'd like to know more about this 'bridge' everyone is talking about :pac: Is there cycle paths on it? Like, how wide is it? If it's a narrow little yoke then I'll probably go out of my way to find a route around it :rolleyes:

*Forgot to mention, I'll be coming from Gort na Coiribe, so how long will that take? o.O

ill be your friend :cool: im staying in centrepointand i do not know anyone! I was also really worried about the amount of first years starying there so i asked :pac: also im in a twin room so i have to share a bedroom with someone i have never met before :eek:scary stuff but im sure well all settle in fine.Arnt first years all in the same block of apartments? Im sure well run into each other at some point :)

Yes, a friend, thank you. :D I made sure to get a single, there was no way I was sharing. Males need their fapping space. :pac: Yeah the first years are all grouped together.. Melanie eh. I'm Noel, and yeah i'm sure we'll meet up there soon. :)

• Advertisement

im thinking of moving up the 1st too! simply because im in a twin room and i would really like first choice in beds :pac: but i live hours away and were going down the 1st to check everything out and i dont see the point in going home only to go back down a few days later.see ya then so :D

im the same! like im coming from the carlow/laois area so no point in going home only to go back up a few days later with my stuff ha!
    im staying in dunaras dont know how far that is from centrepoint but sure i might see you around at some point!! ha :D

Advertisement